4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2010 9:50 AM by Darren Hall

Best way to preview on external Monitor

Darren Hall Level 1

Hi, what is the best way to preview on a external monitor with Premiere Pro CS5?. I have just tried My Matrox RT.X2 with the new Beta drivers and it is not worth using as I have lost +- 50% in performance. Has any body had any joy with 3rd party cards?.

regards

Darren

• 1. Re: Best way to preview on external Monitor
          jkosmicki Level 2

I use a DeckLink Studio card from Blackmagic. It works quite well and I don't really notice any performance lost. On my system I can run 9 layers of 720 24p all with 3 way color correction and DVE, real-time, using a variety of formats including CineForm 10bit AVI's.

With Decklink I get both HD SDI and HDMI 10bit outputs and and SD downconvert all at the same time, important for my work. Third-party hardware always has some driver issues, Blackmagic's problems tend to be minimal. I own and have used cards from AJA and Matrox as well and Blackmagic have had the least amount of problems by far. Matrox just now has Beta drivers for CS5 while Blackmagic had CS5 release drivers available before CS5 was even out.

-Jeff

• 2. Re: Best way to preview on external Monitor
            Stanley Arthur Level 3

I use a Matrox MXO2 Mini with HDMI out to a 42-inch LCD TV. Works great. I still have a 2nd workstation with the RT.X2 and CS4 which also works well, but I'm a big fan of CS5 on a HP Z800 (i7 quad 2.93GHz w/12 gigs ram) with the MXO 2 Mini. Workflow on this thing is a dream.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Best way to preview on external Monitor
              Darren Hall Level 1

thanks, I have loaned a Intensity pro card and will try it tonight.

• 4. Re: Best way to preview on external Monitor
                Darren Hall Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried the RT.X2 with CS4 in my system and was great only a few crashes now and then, with CS5 no go it is useless to say the least (Beta Drivers installed). My issue is I bought the card 6 months ago 1200 US in the dustbin they could have advised me to rather purchase the MX02 instead and nobody will purchase this thing now....

reagards

Darren