6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2010 3:16 AM by stage-hand

speed control

stage-hand Level 1

As you will notice from my question I am new to Premiere Pro! I have noticed that this is a forum of real creative folks and figured someone must have the expertise to answer and or direct me.

It is my understanding that Back in the day of only film, one had a speed control i.e. a way of controlling the actual speed that the actual film travelled through the projector.

Today in digital video, it is my limited experience that when I want to change speed of a video I either loose or gain frames, depending on whether I am increasing or decreasing my speed.

Is there a way in Ppr where I can have it see the frames as just (figuratively speaking) 10,000 frames w/o the preset speed, where one can work with different speeds until one gets the effect they are looking for, w/o creating all those orphan frames?

I am asking in Ppr because I have it! If you know of another software with or w/o the addition of hardware (mac preferred but any system accepted) I am more than open.

All the best

Gary

"It's a pisser trying to create different effects, but it's a trip being creative"

• 1. Re: speed control
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

[I'll give the same answer here that I gave on the other forum where you asked this. If you're going to cross-post questions, please be courteous and cross-post the answers that you get. It would be a shame for people on one forum to waste their time trying to help with something that you've already gotten an answer to somewhere elese.]

Have you looked into time remapping in Premiere Pro or time remapping in After Effects? (The latter provides much more control.)

I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about with regard to orphan frames, but I think that the time-remapping features provide what you're asking for.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: speed control
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Is there a way in Ppr where I can have it see the frames as just (figuratively speaking) 10,000 frames w/o the preset speed

Here's the problem with that request.  Video runs at preset and unchangeable frame rates.  You have some flexibility during shooting (24, 30, 60, and with VariCam and RED cameras even other frame rates), but for display, you're fairly well locked in based on the type of project you're doing.  Even with film, the proper technique of altering playback speed was to do so during filming, not during projection.

So if you want your 24 fps media to run at a different frame rate, you will either have to reshoot at that frame rate, interpolate new frames, or drop some.

Having said that, you might possibly be able to get what you want using an image sequence, which by default does not have a "frame rate" as part of the file, since it's just a series of independent image files that are strung together in a Premiere sequence.  If memory serves, Premiere associates the NTSC 30i frame rate with all image sequences by default, but that can be changed using Interpolation. In this way, the 'video' can be made to run at alternate speeds without interpolating new frames or dropping some.  What I don't know is how limited you will be in your selection.  You might have only standard frame rates to choose from in the Interpolation dialog, you'll have to check.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: speed control
              stage-hand Level 1

Yes I will definitly give that answer that you gave as yes, it is the right thing to do. I personally like to go to the best couple of sites with the same question this way I usually get great opinions from two or more very creative minds.

The answer from the other site is "Have you looked into time remapping in Premiere Pro or time remapping in After Effects? (The latter provides much more control.)

I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about with regard to orphan  frames, but I think that the time-remapping features provide what you're  asking for."

which I answered "Today in digital video, it is my limited experience that when I want to change speed of a video I either loose or gain frames, depending on whether I am increasing or decreasing my speed" THIS IS WHAT I MEAN BY ORPHAN FRAMES.

Thanks for the remapping I'll give it a try

• 4. Re: speed control
                stage-hand Level 1

Hi Jim,

I believe the process that interests me is the interpolation as I tried sequences in Ppr and found the quantity allowed to be very limited unless there is a way that you would know of that I can do volume?

Regarding the interpolation, would you happen to know if one can interpolate at a preset rate i.e. every other frame, every pair and as one finishes change the rate or, will the fps change automatically based on how many frames are added vs timeline?

Thanks mate and all the best

Gary

• 5. Re: speed control
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

The interpolation of new frames depends on the new speed you set.  If you set it to run at 50%, you double every frame.  Set it for some other speed percentage, and the math changes.  (I'm not aware of any way to control which frames get the interpolation, however.  That kind of thing happens under the hood.)

• 6. Re: speed control
                    stage-hand Level 1

Yep, that's what I'm trying to do in photoshop manually and it's a pisser! mba0464l.jpg

OK, I am going to limit the size of the clips convert the qt's to jpegs and bring them in to ppr as sequences, set a time speed to each clip then bandaid them together, as you mentioned. It's a good job this is a one time project

Thanks joe

It's great having Idea's if one can keep them to one's self! It's not so great if one debates them, cos one then has to prove them.

me @ 5am