17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2010 10:13 AM by Ronnieb5555 Branched to a new discussion.

Crashes

bbh1179

Hello,

I'm having a bit of a problem. Whenever I'm working with an Adobe product on my computer, particularly frustrating with PPro, the program freezes, then freezes up the rest of my computer. I have to reboot my computer inorder to fix it.

I thought it might be because of my memory, I have 6GB's, so I found tutorials on how to allocate it better, leaving 2GB's for other programs and the rest for Adobe to use. But that didn't work. I've googled this problem several times/ways and cannot find the solution.

Here's my system, if it helps:

W7 Ultimate

i7 920 @ 4.0GHz

6GB 1600 RAM

GTX 480

SSD OS Drive

Should I do a full reinstall of the OS?

Any advice would be appreciated;-)

• 1. Re: Crashes
          UlfLaursen Level 2

Have you tried to run without overclocking your 920? Could perhaps be a problem. I have never myself been fond of overclocking, but I know a lot of people have great success with it though...

/Ulf

• 2. Re: Crashes
            bbh1179 Level 1

No, not yet. I suppose I could lower the OC a little bit and see if that helps.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Crashes
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Also, launch Pr while holding down the Alt key until you see the Welcome screen.  This will trash and reset your preferences, which often helps with mysterious crashes.

-Jeff

• 4. Re: Crashes
                the_wine_snob Level 9

You've got the SSD as your OS (and programs?) drive, but what are the rest of your HDD's, and how are they allocated?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Crashes
                  bbh1179 Level 1

@Bill

I've got two SSD's in RAID-0 for the OS and programs, one 2TB drive for backups, one 750GB drive misc stuff, and five 1TB drives in RAID-5. My scratch folders are on the R5 array.

• 6. Re: Crashes
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

What are your voltages and BCLK settings? Anything out of the ordinary with the OC'ing? What stepping is your CPU? Anything changed in your spreads? Does an overnight run of the Prime95 torture test run successfully?

• 7. Re: Crashes
                      bbh1179 Level 1

BCLK = 195 @ 1.27V

D0 Stepping

It's fully watercooled, and never gets above 55C.

I've run P95 for 12 hours, it passes. I've also passes LinX.

• 8. Re: Crashes
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

I'm far from a serious overclocker, so I really don't know what all the different setting actually mean, but I can push buttons and flick switches with the best of them. I have fairly successfully overclocked my system with the generous help of another forum member, but I was having serious issues when it came to overclocking the RAM (OCZ Gold 1600MHz 12GB kit on an Asus P6X58D Premium). I could run the torture tests for hours--even days--and didn't have a single issue, but the moment I tried to render in Premiere or export through AME, the entire system would freeze solid. If I backed the RAM down to nothing faster than 1200MHz, I was able to work without a crash, but no combination of settings would allow me to run the RAM at 1600MHz, which made the system feel and operate significantly faster.

I tried asking on the OCZ forums about the issue, as I've never seen a piece of software take down a system the way PPro/AME was doing, to see if I had set something wrong in the BIOS. Everything was "correct" by the support guy's account, so his suggestion was to test all of the RAM sticks individually. Since I actually have work to do--and accessing the RAM is not the easiest thing to do with the massive cooler in my system--that was not too practical. I had read elsewhere on the forum about setting the DRAM Timing Mode to a higher setting in order to increase system stability. By default, in the Asus BIOS, this is set to "Auto" and I had also tried the manual setting of "2N"--no love. Finally, on a whim, I tried "3N"--lo and behold, I've been running for four or five days no and have no experience a freeze up. I'm sure it depends on your motherboard and BIOS, but look around for something like the DRAM Timing Mode and play with its settings. I'm not saying that my problem is completely solved, but for now everything is stable.

For what it's worth, if any of the hardware gurus want to weigh in on the wisdom (or lack thereof) of using this setting, I'd love to hear your opinion.

• 9. Re: Crashes
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for the I/O info.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Crashes
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

BCLK @ 195 using 1.27V with the D0 stepping is very nice, especially if you never encountered a # 00124 BSOD error.

Did you increase your QPI/DRAM voltage or increase the IOH voltage? What is your DRAM voltage? Did you have a look here: Adobe Forums: Overclocking the i7, a beginners guide

• 11. Re: Crashes
                              UlfLaursen Level 2

Hi

I just experienced chrashes on my new PC, i7 980X. After aprox. 1 hrs. rendering or stresstest with constant CPU load of 96-100% it would just reset and boot. At first I thought it was cooling, but with 5 120mm fans inside + fan on the heatsink of the CPU, I did not think it could be a problem, but still I tried to put a big floor fan into the open case with max. power, but it did not do any good, after 1 hrs. crash again.

Then I switched the RAM from my old 920i, which has been good for a long time in that machine, and so far I have been able to render for almost 1½ hrs. without crashes.

Could your problems be hardwarerelated?

/Ulf

• 12. Re: Crashes
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Use a utility like Speedfan, HWMonitor or RealTemp to monitor temps during rendering. That may show whether thermal protection kicks in at a certain moment.

• 13. Re: Crashes
                                  UlfLaursen Level 2

Thanks Harm.

I have "core temp" installed and had it open when I examined my problem. I saw that the CPU never would go more that 67 degr. C at 96-100% load for 1 hrss., so I guess my cooling is ok.

/Ulf

• 14. Re: Crashes
                                    Studio North Films Level 3

Hi,

alot of  random freeze's and crashes or blue screen is usually down to hardware.

Even if Prime 95 has been stable for over 2 hours. you can still get issues when exporting, as exporting is sometimes very extensive on the memory and the cpu.

I would set all the settings to standard and re-run the test.

Baz

• 15. Re: Crashes
                                      Ronnieb5555 Level 1

Did you ever solve this as I am also getting crashes in Premiere Pro as well as Photoshop and After Effects?

• 16. Re: Crashes
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

You will want to list your complete system, and any error messages in complete detail. It will be helpful to know what your are doing, when you have your crashes. This ARTICLE lists some of the details that will be very useful. Also, if you have Overclocking, please give the full details.

Good luck,

Hunt