6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2010 4:43 AM by Harm Millaard

GTX 480 vs GTX 285

smitpr1

In regard to video cards which I know nothing about, Adobe's site on System requirements says:

Supported NVIDIA graphics cards for GPU acceleration:

GeForce GTX 285 (Windows and Mac OS)

I believe they list cards that can use the MPE for better rendering.

This is one I can afford .  However I noticed that some who have top performing machines use the 480. Why?

Would it be better to get that card and modify the cuda_supported_cards.txt file?  Would I get as good or better performance than the 285?

Also would the amount of memory in the card make any difference?

• 1. Re: GTX 480 vs GTX 285
          Harm Millaard Level 7

The GTX 285 is EOL. It has been succeeded by the Fermi cards, GTX 460/465/470 and 480. Far more powerful, many more cores, larger memory bus, higher clock speeds. As MPE acceleration is still in its infancy, not all the power of those Fermi cards is effectively used at this moment, but expect that to change in the near future.

All the Fermi cards work great with the simple 'hack'.

Entry level is the 460/465, economic level is the 470 and high-end is the 480. All perform at least equal or better than the 285. And yes, memory makes a difference. Do not consider a card with less than 1 GB. It is yet unclear what benefits you have from a slower 2 GB card over a faster (more cores) card with less memory. But like always, size matters, whether that is in number of cores, memory bus or amount of memory.

• 2. Re: GTX 480 vs GTX 285
            Scott Chichelli Level 3

at this point in time the 470/480 is recomended with the hack.

there is no reason to go to anything else

Scott

ADK

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: GTX 480 vs GTX 285
              smitpr1 Level 1

Not to be dumb or redundant, but if I modify the cuda_supported_cards.txt file with "GeForce GTX 480" I would in a manner be seeing the hopeful equivalent of an Adobe approved GTX 285 MPE "turned on" card - but even better?

I'm guessing that this is why it appears MPE is on when I see some of the high performing PC results with the GTX 480 (because the hack allows you to turn it on?).  In other words if money is not the issue, there is not a compelling performance reason in any category to use the GTX 285?  However you would get the comfort of Adobe being behind that card?

• 4. Re: GTX 480 vs GTX 285
                Harm Millaard Level 7

1. Correct.

2. Correct. Correct. Correct.

Maybe in a half year's time the 480/470 will be way faster than the 285 can ever be, due to the cores, memory bus and clockspeed.

I would not worry about the 'hack' as not being supported by Adobe. Often you get better support here, than from some India based support person, who has never used the program and only reads aloud from instruction leaflets.

• 5. Re: GTX 480 vs GTX 285
                  citysurfer101a

Hi

I absolutely agree about getting better info on this forum rather than someone in India who does not use the product. I had just such an experience yesterday ! At the end of a full hour in going from the website to usa then onto India I decided that this forum was the place to get an answer. And I live in Sydney Aus.

My question is ....what lower end card will ADOBE Prermier support given that NVIDIA do not make anymore the GTX285 any more. Adobe help desks could not answer the question but this post suggests the GTX470 card with the hack in the file.

Also I understand that any video card would help with video rendering...its just that some special features of Premier need the specs of these cards ?

Have I understood properly ?

Many Thanks

• 6. Re: GTX 480 vs GTX 285
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

To take advantage of hardware assisted MPE, you can only use a nVidia CUDA capable card with 1 GB or more of VRAM. (768 MB is not enough if you have Aero on, for instance).

There are two lines of cards than make sense now:

1. Fermi GTX 460 / 470 / 480 cards, which can be seen as entry level, economical and high-end respectively.

2. Quadro cards which carry a hefty price tag and usually carry the lesser specs than the GTX cards.