3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2010 6:41 AM by the_wine_snob

Which version needed to read Panasonic DMC-FZ8 movie files?

Davyxyz

I have a Panasonic DMC-FZ8 digital camera bought about 2 years ago which produces Quicktime MOV M-JPEG movie files. I have an unopened copy of Adobe Premiere Elements 1 but don't for an instant expect it to be able to process the files. Anybody know what version might?

thanks Davy

• 1. Re: Which version needed to read Panasonic DMC-FZ8 movie files?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Davy,

Most users have found that if they add either the Morgan, or the MainConcept MJPEG CODEC to their machine, then editing MJPEG material works nicely.

Also, it is possible that Panasonic ships their version of the MJPEG CODEC. This might be on their utility disc, or might be installed, with any driver, or utility for the camera. I would first look there. A CODEC is installed in the system, and then many other programs can use it. See this ARTICLE for more background.

Most often, MJPEG is inside an AVI "wrapper," but it seems that yours is inside a MOV "wrapper." See this ARTICLE for more background on "wrappers."

If having a proper MJPEG CODEC still does not work, there is a FAQ entry (right of the main page), that will step you through converting those MOV files to DV-AVI for editing natively in PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Here is a FAQ on Conversion from the PrPro-Wiki.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Which version needed to read Panasonic DMC-FZ8 movie files?
            Davyxyz Level 1

Bill, thanks for the info.  The links to your other articles were very useful but daunting!

Well I installed by old unopened copy of Premiere 1.0 and it displays the .mov files fine.  I think that although the software is six year old, I have installed codecs in the system area recently for other applications and maybe PrE is using those.

Just hope the PrE install hasn't overwitten later codecs used by other programs!

thanks, DAvy

• 3. Re: Which version needed to read Panasonic DMC-FZ8 movie files?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

The Adobe video-editing programs are quite good at not overwriting existing CODEC's. They also share the same CODEC's, though newer versions will likely have a few more. Also, Adobe "hides" their CODEC's to try and protect them from being overwritten by other programs. Unfortunately, some programs will be able to change the priority of those in the Registry, in favor of CODEC's that they install.

The only conflict between PrPro and PrE versions that I have ever read of was one that I encountered personally. I had CS2 Production Studio installed, and then installed PrE 4. That ruined most of my CS2 programs, but a simple Repair Install of each of those fixed it. Adobe already had a KB Article posted on this, so it was well-documented before I encountered it. I guess that the folk who wrote the installer for PrE 4 never assumed that a user might already have CS2 products installed, before they picked up PrE 4. I can see that logic, but I was one of those exceptions. Many more users would upgrade FROM PrE to PrPro. I was not upgrading to/from anything - only adding one program - PrE 4. Other than that little glitch, no issues whatsoever. I still have both the PrPro suite and PrE 4 on my laptop, and use each (PrPro much more).

Good luck,

Hunt