5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2010 10:39 AM by the_wine_snob

Adding photo without getting transparent edges

ERognlid

How can I add a photo to a video whitout getting the sides of the photo transparent? I would like to add a photo that is in a portert format and fade it in an out of a video. The fade part is easy, my problem is how ever that I do not want the video to run on the side of the photo, I would like to have a black matte under the photo filling the hole screen and it has to fade in the same facion as the photo.

I guess I could do that with puting a black matte in videotrack 2 and the photo on track 3 and add a cross disolve on both tracks, but to me that seems like unnesecery work.

So how ever smal my photo is the rest of the screen should face to black.

• 1. Re: Adding photo without getting transparent edges
          the_wine_snob Level 9

You can use the New icon to create a Color Matte and choose black. Place this above the Video Track, and below the still image's Track. Adjust the Duration to suit. You can also "fade" it via the fixed Effect>Opacity and Keyframe that in/out over time.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Adding photo without getting transparent edges
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Why not just put the photo on the Video 1 track?

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Adding photo without getting transparent edges
              ERognlid Level 1

Steve:

I'm going from a video go the still photo then back to the same videotrack again - several times with different photos. I just tought it would be easier using videotrack 2 for the photos to not mess up the synk between the video and the audio - witch is supose to also bee runing during the photos.

Using videotrack 2 I can adjust the length of photo without thinking about the video and audio on track 1.

But using track 1 would solve my problem.

Thanks for your help.

• 4. Re: Adding photo without getting transparent edges
                ERognlid Level 1

Bill:

That solved the problem. A little hazzel to do, but not to much. I still think it should be an easier way of doing it. A property on the photo stating "fill frame with <color> "

Thanks for your help

• 5. Re: Adding photo without getting transparent edges
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, Steve's method will work well too, and you can meet your criteria. Bear with me, as this is much easier to do, than it is to write about.

Say you have one long Video Clip on Video Track 1 You want to insert still images, at certain points, and also want the audience to have the idea that the Video has continued in time, during those stills. Decide where you would like for the stills to be inserted. Use the Razor/Scissors to Cut that long Video Clip. What you do next depends on how you like to work, but I would make my Cuts, at the start of where I want the stills to be inserted. This will yield multiple Clips from the original one. The Cuts are there, but will not show any differently, UNTIL we do the next step. Let's say that the stills have a desired Duration of 10 sec. Hold down Ctrl, and click on the Head of the second Clip, the one that we just created by that first Cut. Drag that to the right, by 10 sec., leaving a gap. Drag the still into that gap. Move to the next Cut and repeat. This basically sets the In Point on that new Clip 10 sec. along the Timeline - the Duration of the still. Now, if you decide that you need to come back to the Video at a point in time, past the 10 sec., but do not want to have the still on-screen for longer than its 10 sec. Duration. Just click on the Head of that Clip (do NOT hold down Ctrl now), and drag to the right to move the "start point," the In Point, of that Clip further along in time. This will allow everything afterwards to close up and NOT leave a gap this time. Again, repeat, as is necessary. Everything is on Video Track 1, you have inserted the stills and the Video now show that during the playing of the stills, time has passed.

I feel that the "passage of time" is very important in movie-making, and is often completely overlooked. There are many ways to indicate it to the audience. I use but a very few Transitions, and select them to convey the concept that time has passed, along with location, or POV. If I want to indicate a long time has passed, I will use a Dip-to-Black, plus about 02 sec. of Black Video between the Clips with those Transitions. If I feel the need to inform my audience, I'll add a Title, like "10 Years Later," between the Dip-to-Black. You are informing the audience that time has passed, by adjusting the In Points on each Video Clip (basically sub-Clips, but that term has other meanings as well, so I refrain from using it - but you get the idea - one long Clip, and we cut it into segments, i.e. sub-Clips).

Good luck,

Hunt