8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 12, 2010 8:49 AM by Razumikhin RSS

Pictures look grainy

adunavent

Hey need help, I use LR2 to open my raw images

I then select an effect preset that I have downloaded from internet, when i upload them to my site or Facebook my pictures not all but some are looking grainy any suggestions welcomed! THANKS

Amanda

• 1. Re: Pictures look grainy
          Pete Marshall Community Member

Post an example and maybe some one can give you some idea. Lets us know the exposure and ISO setting and what processing you did as well.

• 2. Re: Pictures look grainy
            adunavent Community Member

I have been shooting in auto mode so I was reading some information and it sounded right ..the camera has been adjusting the Ap and ISO so lesson learned I hope. Anyway I am messing with my NIkon and shooting in ONLY MANUAL MODE!! Does that sound right to you about the cause is shooting in auto. thank you

-

Pete Marshall <forums@adobe.com> wrote:

Post an example and maybe some one can give you some idea. Lets us know the exposure and ISO setting and what processing you did as well.

>

• 3. Re: Pictures look grainy
              clvrmnky Community Member

Depending on the camera, auto mode will crank the ISO if it cannot satsify the exposure requirements with either shutter speed or aperture.  This can result in grainy images.

Lr 3 will apply some (or no) noise reduction on import based on the ISO. I recall that higher ISO images will not have NR cranked, so you will have to tweak thos by hand. Or apply a preset upon import.

• 4. Re: Pictures look grainy

Thank you!

-

clvrmnky <forums@adobe.com> wrote:

Depending on the camera, auto mode will crank the ISO if it cannot satsify the exposure requirements with either shutter speed or aperture.  This can result in grainy images.

Lr 3 will apply some (or no) noise reduction on import based on the ISO. I recall that higher ISO images will not have NR cranked, so you will have to tweak thos by hand. Or apply a preset upon import.

>

• 5. Re: Pictures look grainy
                  dakinih

Since I'm using a trial of LR3, I cannot get phone support, so I was told to post here for help.

After editing, many of my photos turn out grainy....mostly when I use the adjustment brush, I notice the grain in the spots where I used the brush.  I am a beginner with LR, but I thought it did everything in layers and was non-destructive editing.  Am I mistaken?  Has this happened to anyone else?  Am I just doing something wrong?  Any help is greatly appreciated   :}

Thank you.

• 6. Re: Pictures look grainy
                    Razumikhin

Hi! 

I've noticed a similar issue, but only when uploaded to Facebook from a mac computer. It seems like they have written different code for processing files before uploading when it comes from a mac. I can't seem to replicate the issue on a PC. I have a number of clients that i shoot for, so i've had the chance to try this out on quite a few different comps during random editing and uploading sessions.

Cheers,

Ben

• 7. Re: Pictures look grainy

Yes Facebook sometimes is bad, do you think if we size them down it would be better? I am not sure what size to go.

-

Razumikhin <forums@adobe.com> wrote:

Hi! 

I've noticed a similar issue, but only when uploaded to Facebook from a mac computer. It seems like they have written different code for processing files before uploading when it comes from a mac. I can't seem to replicate the issue on a PC. I have a number of clients that i shoot for, so i've had the chance to try this out on quite a few different comps during random editing and uploading sessions.

Cheers,

Ben

>

• 8. Re: Pictures look grainy
                        Razumikhin Community Member

No idea. The issue seems to have something to do with the way noise reduction and sharpening is done in Lightroom and the way the uploader is coded in facebook for macs. Seems a lot worse if the original image was .RAW. I haven't experimented much with size, i don't think it will fix anything. Perhaps copy the format, resolution dpi etc of an image saved directly from facebook and upload an image matching that format. Report back with what happens