18 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2010 12:04 AM by Powered by Design

Moving files to icon at bottom of clip bin to avoid rendering files?

tucson skiman

I was talking to tech support about another issue. The tech guy showed me a cool feature new to cs5. You take hd clips or others in the clip bin and drag them to the page icon at bottom of clip bin (2nd from right of magnifying glass). The clip gets a yellow line on its top and is transformed to fit your timeline so you don't have to render the raw clips. My confusion is that I do this with the first clip and it goes to the time line. But when i do another clip, it erases the previous clip off the timeline and it alone is there. On the top of the timeline are folder tabs with the names of all the clips i have processe this way. If i click on the tabs, the clip appears on the timeline but i can only get one at a time to stay there.  I am new to cs5 and am trying to figure this out. Any help is appreciated.. thanks! Tucson Skiman

• 1. Re: Moving files to icon at bottom of clip bin to avoid rendering files?
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This new feature is to help you set up the settings for your sequence. Especially if you do not know which settings in the New Sequence Tab to choose from.

You do this only once with one clip from the bin, the clips name determines the name of the sequence but you can alter that.

When the sequence is set up you drag the rest of your clips from the Project Window or Source Window into the timeline.

• 2. Re: Moving files to icon at bottom of clip bin to avoid rendering files?
            jeremy d. Level 3

You're creating new timelines everytime you do that, not replacing footage; all of those tabs are separate timelines.

Heed Ann's advice.

My confusion is that I do this with the first clip and it goes to the time line. But when i do another clip, it erases the previous clip off the timeline and it alone is there. On the top of the timeline are folder tabs with the names of all the clips i have processe this way. If i click on the tabs, the clip appears on the timeline but i can only get one at a time to stay there.

> I should add that you can drag multiple clips to that New Item icon, but the new sequence will only match the first selected clip, and it will use that clip's name.

• 4. Re: Moving files to icon at bottom of clip bin to avoid rendering files?
              tucson skiman Level 1

Thank you very much , Ann... Very kind of you to respond... So then, I guess

you do this so that all the subsequent clips you drag to the time line will

take on the attributes set by the first clip you used to establish the

properties of the sequence.. Is that it?  thanks! dan

• 5. Re: Moving files to icon at bottom of clip bin to avoid rendering files?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Tucson,

You are correct. That is referred to as the "New Icon," and has been used to create items, such as Black Video, Transparent Video, and some other Assets. Now with CS5, a new function has been added - New Sequence, but with a major addition over the old New Sequence function. If you drag an Asset, PrPro surveys that Clip and then creates a New Sequence to match. Before, one could create a New Sequence, but then needed to fill in the blanks, in say a Desktop Preset for that New Sequence - now, it's filled in for you automatically.

Once you have created that New Sequence, you can then drag all like Clips to that Timeline. While it's not mandatory, I would suggest using the Clip, that you intend to be the # 1 Clip on that Sequence's Timeline, to create the New Sequence, as it will be placed at 00;00;00;00. Of course you can move it about, but if you put # 1 at the beginning, no need to do more than Trim it.

T/S was correct, but did not go quite far enough in telling you about the New Sequence's icon and new functionality.

Good luck and hello from the High Sonoran Desert - PHX,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Moving files to icon at bottom of clip bin to avoid rendering files?

That is correct.

What kind of footage are you using?

• 7. Re: Moving files to icon at bottom of clip bin to avoid rendering files?
                    tucson skiman Level 1

hi ann... i am kind of making a bit of an odd project... I own a ski tour

company and make a ski movie every year as a promo of what i do... this

year, in mid season, i had to buy a new camcorder and it uses high def

files... but i still have a bunch of avi files from my helmet camera that i

am using as well.. so half of the clips are avi and half are hi def....

I have finished about 6 minutes of the 35 minute movie with both types of

clips and it is working fine. the software recognizes both... i am thinking

that I should define the timeline using a high def clip, as it is the more

demanding of the two types of files...

dan

• 8. Re: Moving files to icon at bottom of clip bin to avoid rendering files?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Depending on the necessary output, say DVD, or BD, you might find that a little more work is going to yield better results with the mixed footage.

If you are going to BD (utilizing the full potential of the HD footage), you can just Scale up the SD footage, but might get far better results with the use of a program, like Red Giant's Magic Bullet InstantHD, to up-rez that footage to match your HD source material.

With DVD, there are a couple of options. You could do the HD Project, then Export to, say DV-AVI, but I would look into doing an SD Project, Importing the SD material, and then maybe using AME, or similar,to down-rez your HD to match that. Then, it would be a simple Edit and Export (or Dynamic Link) to Encore.

With the helmet cam footage, you are probably ahead of this ARTICLE, but there might be a useful tip, or two.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - this active THREAD might offer some tips and thoughts too.

• 9. Re: Moving files to icon at bottom of clip bin to avoid rendering files?

One advantage of CS5 is you can edit all kind of footage in one single timeline.

This helmet avi what is the resolution.

What kind of Hi Def camera are you using?

What is the end product going to be?

• 10. Re: Moving files to icon at bottom of clip bin to avoid rendering files?
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

The clip...is transformed to fit your timeline

My understanding is that nothing actually happens to the clip.  It is not altered in any way.  The new sequence simply matches the specs of that clip, whatever they may be.

• 11. Re: Moving files to icon at bottom of clip bin to avoid rendering files?
                            jeremy d. Level 3

That is correct sir.

JSS1138 wrote:

The clip...is transformed to fit your timeline

My understanding is that nothing actually happens to the clip.  It is not altered in any way.  The new sequence simply matches the specs of that clip, whatever they may be.

• 13. Re: Moving files to icon at bottom of clip bin to avoid rendering files?
                              tucson skiman Level 1

hi ann...

the new camera is just a basic little 350 buck sony that is palm size.. it

takes amazing quality video for such a small camera... it is perfect for my

skiing and river rafting trips (which is what my company does) because it is

very simple.. there is no disc drive to break... all the clips go to a flash

card... it is perfect for what i do...

the old footage is basic avi stuff shot with a helmet cam and sent to an

older sony camcorder which is dv tape device.  It is not hi def, but i

capture some truly great stuff with that camera. it is on my head and i ski

behind really good skiers, following them at @ 5 feet. it is a real wide

angle lense, so you have to be pretty close. But the images i have been able

to capture for my movies over the past 7 years are really awesome... the end

result is a ski movie about 40 minutes long with skiing , some comedy skits,

some river and biking trip footage, and visits to European and South

American destinations non-skiing.

If you would like to see what i have done in the past, please go to

www.morningstarskitours.com

which is the site of my business. on the home page, click on the VIDEOS

link... There are some really beautiful places to see there.  I think I

would point you to my two favorites:  Alsek River , Alaska video and my

Alaska Heli Skiing video.... They are about 3 minutes long each.. i think

they will give you an idea of what i do with my movies...

Cheers! Would love to hear your opinion on my movies.. always appreciate

input!

dan the ski man / president/ Morningstar Ski Tours

• 14. Re: Moving files to icon at bottom of clip bin to avoid rendering files?
                                tucson skiman Level 1

Many thanks!  I had not heard of software that could emulate hd on stock avi

files.. i will have a look!

the old footage is basic avi stuff shot with a helmet cam and sent to an

older sony camcorder which is dv tape device.  It is not hi def, but i

capture some truly great stuff with that camera. it is on my head and i ski

behind really good skiers, following them at @ 5 feet. it is a real wide

angle lense, so you have to be pretty close. But the images i have been able

to capture for my movies over the past 7 years are really awesome... the end

result is a ski movie about 40 minutes long with skiing , some comedy skits,

some river and biking trip footage, and visits to European and South

American destinations non-skiing.

If you would like to see what i have done in the past, please go to

www.morningstarskitours.com

which is the site of my business. on the home page, click on the VIDEOS

link... There are some really beautiful places to see there.  I think I

would point you to my two favorites:  Alsek River , Alaska video and my

Alaska Heli Skiing video.... They are about 3 minutes long each.. i think

they will give you an idea of what i do with my movies...

All of the movies on site are not shot in hd.... i am using it now for the

first time this year.

Cheers! Would love to hear your opinion on my movies.. always appreciate

input!

dan the ski man / president/ Morningstar Ski Tours

• 15. Re: Moving files to icon at bottom of clip bin to avoid rendering files?