2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2010 11:04 PM by Mylenium

Render tips

eVatrik Level 1

Hi!

If I have an image in AE composition, i applied blur and some color correction, and then animated it with other images.

Does AE renders blur and colour correction again and again for every frame or it renders it just 1st time?

Would it be better to pre-render that image and then animate it?

Are there any tutorials/articles that can help me optimize my compositions better, so that I don`t waste time to render unnecessary things again and again..

Also, I have a greenscreen footage about 15 minutes recorded with 3 cameras, I need to do chromakey in AE and then edit in premiere.

But, not all the footage from one camera will be used for that. It`s like switching with video mixer. How can I speed up the rendering process so that I don`t have to render 50 clips and synchronize every time for each camera.

Can I export metadata or use markers or something to automate that process.

I tried DynamicLink but it`s slow for 3 hd compositions...

Thanks for help

• 1. Re: Render tips
          bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

Rendering is a pipeline and it's explained in those terms in the manual and in many online tutorials. Pre-rendering is usually recommended by people like me who have been using AE for a long time. Back when my MacIIfx took all weekend to render ten seconds of one effect on one layer, we got very good at planning our renders efficiently.

Geometrics are rendered first and then effects. You can improve this pipeline slightly by using geometrics as an effect. This stuff isn't complex but it requires experience and familiarity with the application's peculiarities and the performance of your systems.

> Also, I have a greenscreen footage about 15 minutes recorded with 3 cameras, I need to do chromakey in AE and then edit in premiere.

But, not all the footage from one camera will be used for that. It`s like switching with video mixer. How can I speed up the rendering process so that I don`t have to render 50 clips and synchronize every time for each camera.<

This isn't an easy question to answer because we don't now anything about your production. Ideally, all of your cameras were perfectly matched so you could do the edit in Premiere and then apply chromakey to the exported movie. I doubt your cameras were set up for that so you must first color correct to match them perfectly then chromakey, and then edit.

There are only a few things you can do to improve rendering conditions. The single best is to carefully plan your shoot and your post workflow so you only render the original footage once.

bogiesan

• 2. Re: Render tips
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Also, I have a greenscreen footage about 15 minutes recorded with 3 cameras, I need to do chromakey in AE and then edit in premiere.

But, not all the footage from one camera will be used for that. It`s like switching with video mixer. How can I speed up the rendering process so that I don`t have to render 50 clips and synchronize every time for each camera.

Can I export metadata or use markers or something to automate that process.

I tried DynamicLink but it`s slow for 3 hd compositions...

Frankly, you have it all backwards. You don't key the footage first, you do a rough cut with the unkeyed footage (or a crude simple color key in Premiere). When doing so, nthing of what you claim would be difficult is any problem.

Mylenium