2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2010 1:15 PM by Rick Gerard

Frame Rate Issue for Output to 59.94i

jamcameron11

We have a project that is 29.97 progressive frames in after effects that needs to be output to an edit suite and finally to tape on HDCam at 59.94i.

The question is what are the correct output settings to ensure that the timing matches up.

Options are:

1. Keep comp settings the same (29.97) and render out 29.97 with fields, lower first.
      2. Keep comp settings the same (29.97) and render out at 59.97 with fields, lower first.
      3. Change comp settings to 59.97 and render out at 59.97 with fields, lower first.

My feeling is that option two is the way to proceed but would appreciate feedback.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Frame Rate Issue for Output to 59.94i
          jamcameron11 Level 1

Think I found the answer.  Feedback welcome.

Thanks to Kevin at Creative Cow.

Re: 59.94 Final Delivery Help
          by Kevin Camp on Apr 28, 2009 at 9:59:21 am

i'm 99% sure that they are expecting 1920x1080, interlaced at 59.94 fields per second.

so your 1920x1080, 29.97 frame per second comps would be correct. then, at render, you'll set the render settings to render fields, upper first, and the result will be 1920x1080, interlaced at 59.94 fields per second.

if you suspect that they have may an unusual workflow or final destination for this, you should verify that they are working with standard hdtv 1080i format (1080 with 59.94 frames per second would not be standard). but if you feel that this is for broadcast, then it will have to conform to a broadcast standard.

Kevin Camp
          Senior Designer
          KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

• 2. Re: Frame Rate Issue for Output to 59.94i
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Only DV is lower field first. Standard HD wold be upper field first.

If your original footage is progressive then you'll end up with identical fields (which is what progressive really is if you view it on a CRT) but your client will have all of the fields they expect.

You will only look stupid if you deliver something in the wrong format because you didn't ask the client a reasonable question.