1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 30, 2010 7:01 AM by BnJnPnS

Printer properties not working in Explorer

jdhill93

I want to print from Internet Explorer a pdf document that was obtained from the web. The print dialog opens, but clicking on the "properties" button has no effect when using my default printer. The button just blinks. (The default property of interest is 2-sided printing which I wanted to change to1-sided for this job.)  The document will print, but will not even use the default properties settings for the default printer. (Ironically, it prints 1-sided as I want, but I still frequently need to get at the properties to change other settings for a job.)

However, if I select my alternate printer, the properties button works fine.

Also, if I download the same document and open it with Reader, the print properties button works fine for my default printer.

Finally, when doing all the same things from my laptop, everything works fine.

Unforntunately, I am not certain when this issue appeared. The workstation is new and is being built up. I believe things worked OK at an ealier stage, but I can't be certain. Seems to be some kind of interaction problem among Reader, the default printer, and Explorer.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled both Reader and my default printer with no effect. Any thoughts on how to fix this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Setup is as follows (more info available on request):

Dell Prcision 3500 Workstation running Windows 7 64 bit.

Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385

Reader 9.3.4

Default printer = HP Officejet Pro 8500 A909n on an ethernet network

Alternate printer = Epson Stylus Photo 1280 on a USB attached to the Workstation.

Laptop = Dell Latitude D630 running Windows XP-SP3 on the ethernet network.

Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

Reader 8.2.3

Acrobat Standard 8.2.3

• 1. Re: Printer properties not working in Explorer
          BnJnPnS

We are having this exact same problem on our new Windows 7 system.

From the IE 8 browser, the printer "Properties" button does not work and the default printer preferences are NOT used.  Our versions are:

Windows 7 64-bit

IE 8 version 8.0.7600.16385

Adobe Reader 9.4.1

As the other user said, if we download and open the PDF in the reader, it correctly uses the default printer preferences AND we can also get the "Properties" button to work so we can change the printer properties if we need to.

The same Adobe reader version running on XP SP2/SP3 with IE 8 version 8.0.6001.18702 works FINE.  This combination does NOT have this problem.

So we agree that this is some kind of interaction problem between Window 7's IE 8 and the Adobe Reader 9.

What's the solution to this? (other than downloading every pdf off the web)