6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2010 2:14 PM by Cal Jim

How do I send computer .MOD files to Premiere 7 with quality?

Cal Jim

I have a JVC Everio Hard Drive Camcorder  with SD-Video format.  Recording/Playback format is MPEG-2 with audio 2ch. Dolby Digital. I recorded at Ultra Fine mode (720 x 480 pixels).  Downloaded these files to my computer with Windows 7,  a Dell, Studio XPS 8100 with processor, Intel (R) Core (TM) i7CPU, 860 @ 2.8 GHZ; RAM 8 GB; Type 64 Bit.  CamCorder has only USB connector no FireWire.  The downloaded files have a file extension of .mod. When I started a project in PE 7 the playback was less than desirable.  Presets 4:3 at standard.  Would appreciate help.  Have used the downloaded PE7 manual and the Muvipix Guide to PE 7 for guidelines. 

• 1. Re: How do I send computer .MOD files to Premiere 7 with quality?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE has tons of links to threads on MOD files. Down near the bottom of the first linked article, IIRC, there are comments by Chris at JVC on PrE and MOD files. Those will be very important. Don't get put off by the links, and read over them, but pay special attention to the comments by Chris at JVC.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How do I send computer .MOD files to Premiere 7 with quality?
            Cal Jim Level 1

Mr Hunt

Thanks for your input.  I just went back and checked the drivers for my computer and found that the latest have been entered. I also will check the comments by Chris at JVC as you suggest.  I feel kind of supid since I have been trying to get this working for a coupole of weeks.  Again, thank you.

Jim 

• 3. Re: How do I send computer .MOD files to Premiere 7 with quality?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Many users have had issues, and that was the reason for doing the article in the first place - it offered some tips on converting those files. However, over time, and with comments from people, such as Chris at JVC, I felt the need to update the old article. Unfortunately, doing so directly is not really easy, so things are done by adding Replies. With links to Chris' comments, I feel that many will be served.

One comment - it seems that PrE might do better, per Chris' comments, than will PrPro. Some users of that program have found that conversion is the best workflow.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: How do I send computer .MOD files to Premiere 7 with quality?
                Cal Jim Level 1

Thanks for your time and info.

Reading the Threads a few questions have arisen as I am getting ready to import media to PrE from my computer.  It appears that PrE can import .MOD files without any conversion.  Therefore would converting to AVI files increase the quality or be a waste of time?  Secondly, many are extolling the virtues of Premiere 8.  Would this update be of value to someone like me who takes videos on a limited scale but many digitized photos?

Jim

• 5. Re: How do I send computer .MOD files to Premiere 7 with quality?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

When a file has been compressed, data is lost, and lost forever. No amount of conversion can get that data back.

All a conversion can do is improve the working of that file in your program. If things work well (basically PrE is doing an internal conversion), there is nothing to be gained. It might save you having to Render the Timeline for smoothest playback, but that is not a big deal. Also, if the Assets Import fine, even with a red line above the Clips, playback might well be more adequate, and one might not need to Render for good playback.

As for updating to PrE 8, I am not sure that there is much in that newer version, that would directly benefit you. However, wait for Steve, Neale and others to comment, as they know PrE 8 far better than I do, and can tell you exactly what might be worthwhile.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How do I send computer .MOD files to Premiere 7 with quality?
                    Cal Jim Level 1

Mr Hunt

Thank you.  I'll give it a shot and try not to make too many mistakes.

Jim