4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2010 8:23 PM by John T Smith

New Build for CS4, CS5, and upgrade

Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hardware problems, and I have to upgrade even though I can't afford it.  I only need to run CS4, but I want to try to keep an easy upgrade path to MPE and more RAM.  I think I can run CS5 on this rig for SD; do you agree?

I've been following the various discussions (including the latest "CS4" and "Budget build" and I have searched this forum for each component.  But this is complex and a moving target.  so before I spin my wheels more, what do you think?  My decision point for several things has been what is cheapest without totally ignoring quality.  Several of these components appear to have mail in rebates that are not reflected in the price.  Total is about $1400.  (All newegg.)

I did forget to swap a velociraptor system drive; adds about a $100.  From what I have read here, I can do without additional CPU cooling for now?

Please comment on these components.

MainboardASUS P6T SE LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard$194.99
      CPUi7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601930$289.99
      CaseAZZA Solano 1000 ATX Full Tower Case$94.99
      Power SupplyCORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 Power Supply$129.99
      GraphicsEVGA GeForce 9400 GT 512MB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card$49.99
      RAMG.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI$159.99
      System DriveWD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s$74.99
      Media DrivesWD Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s (3 @ $87.99 ea)$263.97
      OSMicrosoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM$139.99

• 1. Re: New Build for CS4, CS5, and upgrade
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Stan,

You are perfectly OK with this system for CS5 and SD/HDV editing. You may even forego the Velociraptor for the moment, till you have more funds available.

• 2. Re: New Build for CS4, CS5, and upgrade
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 includes a link to what I built

Mine is VERY close to what you have listed, with the exception of 12G ram -vs- 6G and a GTX 285 card -vs- your graphics card (you don't have enough card ram for the nVidia hack, but you can always buy a different card when $$ is not so tight) and I am doing "simple" AVCHD edits with good results

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: New Build for CS4, CS5, and upgrade
              Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Harm, thank you very much!

Thanks, John.  Oh, yes, I worked that link over thoroughly.  I'm getting ready to go back and see if you provided any info on the actual building.

• 4. Re: New Build for CS4, CS5, and upgrade
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>info on the actual building

I didn't post any pictures... so a couple of thoughts

1st is I am OK with my mid-tower, but a full tower would be better so all the various cables wouldn't be so cramped

2nd is that I mounted the CPU cooler after the motherboard was in and ram installed... this was in case there was a problem with the non-Intel cooler getting the way of ram install, which turned out not to be a problem with the brand/model I picked... and it was VERY nice that there was a cut-out in the motherboard mounting area to allow me full access to the back side of the motherboard to mount the cooler

Actually, a 3rd thought is that I added 2 side fans right over the CPU and nVidia card, so have plenty of cooling even though I do not overclock