4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2010 9:29 PM by joeordinary

Adobe Acorbate Reader 9.3.3 won't install

joeordinary Level 1

I am running Windows Vista.  I could not install an update to Acrobat Reader, so I uninstalled what I had and downloaded and tried to install the latest version.

I keep getting a popup with the message: Error 1303.  The installer has insufficient privileges to access the directory: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX.  Teh installation cannot continue.  Log on as an administrator or contact your system administrator.

I am logged on as an administrator.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Adobe Acorbate Reader 9.3.3 won't install
          Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

Perhaps taking a loo

k at some of the previous threads on the subject?

Extra line break kindly provided by the non updated software of this site.

• 2. Re: Adobe Acorbate Reader 9.3.3 won't install
            pwillener Level 8

You must either

• login as a user with Administrator privileges and run the installer;
            • or right-click on the downloaded installer, the select 'Run as Administrator".
            • 3. Re: Adobe Acorbate Reader 9.3.3 won't install
              shashi.kant Adobe Employee

If you are still experiencing same issue try following steps:

Error 1303 is caused when there are insufficient privileges for the Installer to access a particular directory {as seen in error message}. You can try to restore the privileges by using DOS Commands such as “takeown” or “cacls”.

Now supposing the problem directory is “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX”. On executing the below command, the Ownership of the directory will be restored to Administrator and it’s ACL(Access Control List) will be modified so that Administrator and System have Full Control over this directory.

TAKEOWN /F "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX" /R /D Y && ICACLS "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX" /grant administrators:F SYSTEM:F /t

You can simply cut-paste and execute the above command in blue color in Command Prompt {To start Command Prompt, type cmd in Run Window}.

If the Command has run successfully, you should see some message like “Successfully processed 12 files; Failed processing 0 files

Now try to re-install Adobe Reader 9.3.3.

Hope, it helps.