12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2016 11:35 AM by janetl13717695

How delete a book from Digital Editions?

Bazsl Level 1

How can I delete a book from Digital Editions?

Also, is there any way to get an email notification when a reply is posted to my question? Thanks.

• 1. Re: How delete a book from Digital Editions?
          heresolong

When you highlight a book a small right facing arrow will show just to the left of the book title.  Click on it and a pull down menu appears with several options.  One of them is "delete".

Hope this helps.

• 2. Re: How delete a book from Digital Editions?
            Soldana

How easy was that - perfect!!  Thank you so much - sometimes I wonder about myself and make things too hard!

• 3. Re: How delete a book from Digital Editions?

And how do I delete 1,000 books at the same time?

• 4. Re: How delete a book from Digital Editions?
                Frustrated in AZ Level 4

If you have that many, I'd suggest using some of the utility software on

your computer.  Assuming Windows, this would be Windows Explorer (NOT

Internet Explorer).  I'm also going to assume a reasonable level of computer

skill in my comments below.

Go to My Computer and locate the Digital Editions folder.  Browse around in

that folder until you find your ebooks (making sure that they're in the

right place).  If you want to delete ALL of the ebooks, go to the top bar of

Windows Explorer and click on 'Edit'.  Then, go to the bottom of the

drop-down menu and click on 'Select All'.  Then, press the Delete key.

If you want to delete only 'some' (1,000 is 'some') but not all, you

can create a temporary folder outside of the Digital Editions folder, then

go back to Windows Explorer and open the Digital Editions folder.  Select

the ebooks you want to keep, go up to the command bar and select 'Edit'

again.  Then, select either 'Copy to folder' or 'Move to folder', depending

on whether you're selecting the ebooks for deletion or those to keep.  A

pop-up screen will let you select the folder that you just created.  Then,

press the 'OK' button and Windows will do the rest.

If you followed the process to move the ebooks for deletion to the temporary

folder, you can delete that folder and you're done.  If you picked those

that you want to keep, then you can go back to the Digital Editions folder,

do a 'Select All' again and delete the ones that are going bye-bye.  Then,

use Windows Explorer to open the temporary file, do a 'Select All' on it,

and a 'Move to folder' to put the ebooks back in the Digital Editions

folder.

When you open ADE, it does a scan of the Digital Editions folder to create

its list for the Library display, so you won't have to worry about changing

that part.  Just make sure you haven't deleted any ebooks that you're in the

process of reading - that would cause an error in ADE.

Hope this helps!

===========

• 5. Re: How delete a book from Digital Editions?
                  11375 Level 1

Aw, thank you for your detailed response. However, I AM on a Mac. Might you know how I do it there?

• 6. Re: How delete a book from Digital Editions?
                    Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Sorry, but I don't know the MAC world.  The concept is the same.

==================

• 7. Re: How delete a book from Digital Editions?
                      kleaningkristy

thank you so much for your help I had tried everything and was beyound frustrated.Who new it could be that easy!

• 8. Re: How delete a book from Digital Editions?
                        ahswms

This deletes the book from being seen in Adobe Digital Editions, but does not remove the files in MY DOCS/MY DIGITAL EDITIONS. There are files in 4 folders and multiple for each book. Overtime this creates a huge unaccessible file on the computer. For instance, I deleted a book, but if you go to MY DOCS and click on the book.epub file, it still pulls up in Adobe Digital Editions and is readable, but not shown on the bookshelf any longer.

• 9. Re: How delete a book from Digital Editions?
                          elfking89

Hi, I downloaded my ebooks to digital and than I accidentally re-downloaded the same ebooks again, so instead of 2500 ebooks in my library, I now have double copies of everything, so I need to delete the other 2500 ebooks, without doing it one by one.  I tried your suggestion and deleted all files and even the program from the control panel, and even emptied to recycle bin so that I thought  everything pertaining to digital editions was completely gone, but when I go and re-download and launch ADE again from scratch, all the ebooks are there again. Is there a file I am missing to delete?  Is there another way to delete mass ebooks?  I have been doing this run-round for two days now and am totally frustrated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Frustrated in AZ wrote:

If you have that many, I'd suggest using some of the utility software on

your computer.  Assuming Windows, this would be Windows Explorer (NOT

Internet Explorer).  I'm also going to assume a reasonable level of computer

skill in my comments below.

Go to My Computer and locate the Digital Editions folder.  Browse around in

that folder until you find your ebooks (making sure that they're in the

right place).  If you want to delete ALL of the ebooks, go to the top bar of

Windows Explorer and click on 'Edit'.  Then, go to the bottom of the

drop-down menu and click on 'Select All'.  Then, press the Delete key.

If you want to delete only 'some' (1,000 is 'some') but not all, you

can create a temporary folder outside of the Digital Editions folder, then

go back to Windows Explorer and open the Digital Editions folder.  Select

the ebooks you want to keep, go up to the command bar and select 'Edit'

again.  Then, select either 'Copy to folder' or 'Move to folder', depending

on whether you're selecting the ebooks for deletion or those to keep.  A

pop-up screen will let you select the folder that you just created.  Then,

press the 'OK' button and Windows will do the rest.

If you followed the process to move the ebooks for deletion to the temporary

folder, you can delete that folder and you're done.  If you picked those

that you want to keep, then you can go back to the Digital Editions folder,

do a 'Select All' again and delete the ones that are going bye-bye.  Then,

use Windows Explorer to open the temporary file, do a 'Select All' on it,

and a 'Move to folder' to put the ebooks back in the Digital Editions

folder.

When you open ADE, it does a scan of the Digital Editions folder to create

its list for the Library display, so you won't have to worry about changing

that part.  Just make sure you haven't deleted any ebooks that you're in the

process of reading - that would cause an error in ADE.

Hope this helps!

===========

• 10. Re: How delete a book from Digital Editions?
                            Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Jim Lester has posted to the forum about deleting large quantities of

ebooks before.  Try searching for his name and see if you can find that

post.  I hope it helps you!

=================

• 11. Re: How delete a book from Digital Editions?
                              kadiekay

Amazingly this is still the top hit for this question.  On an iPad, to the right of the title in question, swipe left.  That will bring up options to mark as favorite or delete.  Took me a few minutes to stumble across this and on my own.

• 12. Re: How delete a book from Digital Editions?
                                janetl13717695

This does not seem to be working on my Mac OSX. I highlight the item and no arrow appears anywhere. Thoughts?