• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction always off

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2010 Aug 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Windows Photoshop CS5 on a windows 7 64 bit system and trying to open desktop screen captures in photoshop for editing.

When I open them I get the pop up for " Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction is for preview purposes only..."

I am opening images saved from my desktop that is set to 1680 x 1050 and when opening in PS CS5 they are reset to square images with the pop up.

First off I know I can individually set the images back to the correct aspect ratio by turning off the check mark under View and get rid of the popup warning but I want the aspect ratio to never be on in the first place. I want the images to be the size they are from the start just like I get when I import or open images from my camera.

Is there some trick to not turning this on at all or having it turned off whenever I load photos?

I understand I can change them individuallly but this is a pain when I have multiple images I am trying to edit and the first thing I need to do is correct Photoshop from doing what it wants to do with the image.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2010 Aug 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PARs are stored in the image meta data/ header, so the behavior is more or less correct. PS simply assumes that it needs to correct for a square display if it encounters such info. I'm not aware of any way to turn it off, but there may be some key to press to suppress it when openeing the files...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2010 Aug 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pop-up is not resetting anything. It is telling you that for display, the pixels will be displayed (only) as square pixels. The original PAR is not altered in any way, and if you go to Image>Pixel Aspect Ratio, they will show the 0.9, or 1.2, or other PAR.

When you do a Save, or a Save_As, the resulting images will maintain the PAR of the original. If you then Open those up, you get the same PAR pop-up.

In your Video editor/authoring program, the correct PAR will be there.

What confuses me is that you say you're doing a screen cap, and those pixels should be square to begin with. Am I just missing something there?

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want a way to turn off the aspect ratio where it changes the ratio to square while importing and have the image imported and shown as its original size. I know, as I said, that it is only asking a question and that the image is just being viewed as a square but in fact it is actually bigger. I am importing screen catures in 1680 x 1050 desktop size and when I first open it in PS it shows it as square.

Is there a way to turn off this square view when I import it and show it as original size?

The pixels are square but the image is not, it's 1680 x 1050 but PS in its infinite wisdom shows it at first as a square image. I want it as the image it is taken in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want a way to turn off the aspect ratio where it changes the ratio to square while importing and have the image imported and shown as its original size.

The problem with this is that you are viewing on a device using square pixels. To see the image as it will appear on a TV, you need to view it on a calibrated CRT NTSC (or PAL) TV monitor. You can do that from programs, like Premiere Pro. You need a viewing device, that displays non-square pixels.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish you would read my question, I want a  way to turn off the Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction when importing images instead of having to do it myself. I do not want to use a different program, I have PS for image editing and I sure don't need a CRT to edit images when I have a perfectly servicable screen in front of me.

I think you are missing the point and the point of the numerous other people who are asking the same thing:

Is there a way, in registry or somewhere else, to not have PS turn Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction on when importing certain images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe Chris Cox can point you to the code to edit.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe i'm missing something also, but as Hunt said why are your screen captures

a different pixel aspect ratio than your screen?

When i do screen captures from my own desktop, which has a wide screen, opening

them in photoshop, i don't have to change anything or adjust the pixel aspect ratio.

Are these screen captures taken from your screen and what program are you

using to do the captures?

MTSTUNER

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do a screenshot of your desktop using the print screen key

and then paste this into photoshop using File>New>Clipboard and

then Edit>Paste, do they look any different?

MTSTUNER

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could have sworn that you said that the PAR was being changed -

I am opening images saved from my desktop that is set to 1680 x 1050 and when opening in PS CS5 they are reset to square images with the pop up.

Maybe I am just missing something, but it sure seemed that you were having some sort of conversion of your PAR. Now, it seems that you just want to turn OFF a pop-up notification. Maybe I DO need to re-read your post, and then re-read it again?

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2010 Aug 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The title of the tread is pixel aspect ratio correction always off, I would like to

turn or have the program never use pixel aspect ratio correction.

When I open images from my camera they are various sizes but not wide screen, when I open images that are wide screen the darn program turns on pixel aspect ratio correction and I do not want it to.

Is there a way  to not have PS turn on pixel aspect ratio correction by itself, hence the title pixel aspect ratio correction always off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 24, 2010 Aug 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try using File->Scripts->Script Events Manager to run an action that disables it whenever you open a document but that's about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 26, 2011 Apr 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Go to view. Un-check it. It will automatically correct.

Hope this helps...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines