3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2010 3:47 AM by Peter Grainge

Crashing causes in RH8?

ntompkins

Hi

A collegue is completing her first project in RH 8.0.2 and is getting regular crashes resulting in many hours of work being lost.

I''ve tried to recover problems as much as I can but it still crashes regularly.

Is there a list of known things that cause memory problems. For instance I see that she has very long .htm file names, could this be a cause?

Anyway she is pulling her hair out and wants to use a different application.

Any help on what to look for appreciated.

Nick.

• 1. Re: Crashing causes in RH8?
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Depends when the crashing started and whether there are lots of missing links showing. If the latter, it could be the problem started before 802 patch was applied. Fixing that is covered in Opening Projects on my site. Otherwise have you tried the usual deletion of the CPD file?

Long path/file names should not cause crashing, that tends to cause output problems.

What is the operating system?

Is project local? (Have to ask)

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

• 2. Re: Crashing causes in RH8?
            ntompkins Level 1

Hi Peter,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

It was started in 802. It's a local project being created on a system running Windows XP.

Just doing some forensics and it seems to happen when editing 2 particular pages.

When I recovered the file the pages had to be re-imported this caused the project to crash again.

So instead of re-importing I recreated the .fpj file - again this caused it to crash.

I shortened the file names and recreated the .fpj file again - this worked and I've been able to edit the pages, save the project and re-open it again.

I also noticed the pages use 2 variables - 'range' and 'Range' - could this cause a possible problem.

Nick.

• 3. Re: Crashing causes in RH8?
              Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

The folder / file name thing is based on 255 characters so maybe if that was on the limit, just shortening the file name would fix things. However, if that is so, I might be shortening some other stuff so that there was some information in the topic rather than conveying it via the folder / file name.

I haven't seen anyone reporting two variables with just a case difference. Check the file names as Windows should not allow that to only have a case difference. Assuming the content is different I would go into the variable properties and tidy that up.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge