17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2010 11:52 AM by Anatoly Paraev

Document::saveAs doesn't work in Photoshop

Anatoly Paraev Level 1

Hello,

I am having a problem trying to save the current document in Photoshop to the PNG format.

I am trying to use the Document class from the com.adobe.photoshop package.

The code that I have looks like this:

public function saveAsPNG(filePath:String):Boolean

{

var saveOpts:PNGSaveOptions = new PNGSaveOptions;

saveOpts.interlaced = false;

var file:File = new File(filePath);

var currentDoc:Document = Photoshop.app.activeDocument;

currentDoc.saveAs(file,saveOpts,true);

return true;

}

I call this function in response to a button click in the UI. However when the execution gets to , I get the following error:

Error: General Photoshop error occurred. This functionality may not be available in this version of Photoshop.

This error looks like the one that occurs when I try to access Photoshop DOM from a system event handler (as discussed here), so I tried to apply the workaround recommended for system events in my function:

public function saveAsPNG(filePath:String):Boolean

{

var obj: * = PsEventScrubber.getInstance().forceClean( this, saveAsPNG, arguments );

if ( obj != null )

{

return (obj as Boolean);

}

var saveOpts:PNGSaveOptions = new PNGSaveOptions;

saveOpts.interlaced = false;

var currentDoc:Document = Photoshop.app.activeDocument;

currentDoc.saveAs(file,saveOpts,true);

return true;

}

Now I get an exception, and I can see that the logger is called with the following message:

[RequestResult after parsing result="[RequestResult status="PlugPlugRequestFailed" data=null]" ]

I also tried to use ActionDescriptors to do the same job, but I got the same problems as with the CSAW API. The code for the ActionDescriptor approach is below:

public function saveAsPNG1(filePath:String):Boolean

{

var obj: * = PsEventScrubber.getInstance().forceClean( this, saveAsPNG1, arguments );

if ( obj != null )

{

return (obj as Boolean);

}

var key_in:int = com.adobe.csawlib.photoshop.Photoshop.app.charIDToTypeID("In  ");

var key_png_interlaced:int = com.adobe.csawlib.photoshop.Photoshop.app.charIDToTypeID("PGIT");

var enum_png_interlaced_none:int = com.adobe.csawlib.photoshop.Photoshop.app.charIDToTypeID("PGIN");

var key_png_filter:int = com.adobe.csawlib.photoshop.Photoshop.app.charIDToTypeID("PNGf");

var enum_png_filter_adaptive:int = com.adobe.csawlib.photoshop.Photoshop.app.charIDToTypeID("PGAd");

var key_copy:int = com.adobe.csawlib.photoshop.Photoshop.app.charIDToTypeID("Cpy ");

var key_extn:int = com.adobe.csawlib.photoshop.Photoshop.app.charIDToTypeID("Extn");

var key_as:int = com.adobe.csawlib.photoshop.Photoshop.app.charIDToTypeID("As  ");

var class_png_format:int = com.adobe.csawlib.photoshop.Photoshop.app.charIDToTypeID("PNGF");

var event_save:int = com.adobe.csawlib.photoshop.Photoshop.app.charIDToTypeID("save");

var result:ActionDescriptor = null;

var desc:ActionDescriptor = new ActionDescriptor;

var PNGDescriptor:ActionDescriptor = new ActionDescriptor;

desc.putPath(key_in,file);

desc.putBoolean(key_copy,true);

desc.putBoolean(key_extn,true);

PNGDescriptor.putEnumerated( key_png_interlaced, key_png_interlaced, enum_png_interlaced_none);

PNGDescriptor.putEnumerated(key_png_filter, key_png_filter, enum_png_filter_adaptive);

desc.putObject(key_as,class_png_format,PNGDescriptor);

result = com.adobe.csawlib.photoshop.Photoshop.app.executeAction(event_save,desc);

return true;

}

With this approach the error occurs then the execution gets to the line

desc.putPath(key_in,file);

Am I doing something wrong here?

Has anyone tried to use the Document::saveAs API in Photoshop?

Thank you in advance,

Anatoly