5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2010 10:15 AM by the_wine_snob

Why can't I load mp4, 1080i HDV-type file from an EX1?

dareks7000 Level 1

If I take a HDV-sized file (shot on a Sony EX1 at 25 MBPS - HDV 1440 x 1080i) and import it into PE8 'trial' version it shows up as a red frame.  Does this file need modiying in some way before I can use it?  Thanks if you can help.  David.

• 1. Re: Why can't I load mp4, 1080i HDV-type file from an EX1?
          nealeh Level 5

The trial version has full functionality (all it does is paste a watermark over all outputs)

• What project preset are you using?
          • Can you post a screenshot of what you mean by 'shows up as a red frame'?

Some basics:

• Install all Windows updates
          • Install latest version of QuickTime (v7.6.7 at time of writing)
          • Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites
          • Run Disk Cleanup
          • Run Defragmenter
          • Post back here with the necessary information described here: Got a Problem? How to Get   Started

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Why can't I load mp4, 1080i HDV-type file from an EX1?
            dareks7000 Level 1

My camera produces 1440 x 1080i  25MB files - mp4 files which are HDV in size - but I get this when I try to import it:

My file is straight from the camera and is called andy2.mp4 but X3 obviously thinks there is something wrong with it.  Perhaps there are different flavours of mp4. 

My PC is Windows XP Pro with 2 GB RAM, separate drives for video and an NVIDIA card so I can only assume PRE8 doesn't like my file format for some reason.  My PC is clean and defragged.

Thanks anyway.

Message was edited by: dareks7000

• 3. Re: Why can't I load mp4, 1080i HDV-type file from an EX1?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Generally Premiere Elements can not work with MP4s directly.

It can work with AVCHD footage -- which apparently this is not.

What model of camcorder is this? That will help determine which software you need to use to convert this to a usable format.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Why can't I load mp4, 1080i HDV-type file from an EX1?
                dareks7000 Level 1

Steve,

This is a Sony EX1 SxS card camcorder.  You can switch record formats between 1920 x 1080i  35 MBPS data rate and 1440 x 1080i  25 MBPS which is the HDV format size. 

I am looking for a PC NLE which can import my camera's files directly without conversion - or one which carries this out in the background if conversation is necessary.  I have the Sony browser which can convert files but I've still to find one which is HD and PRE8 recognises.

Thanks if you can help.

• 5. Re: Why can't I load mp4, 1080i HDV-type file from an EX1?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I would look at PrPro, as it can handle the EX1 files easily. There are several EX1 threads on the CS4 and CS5 fora, and they might prove useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] IIRC, the EX1 offers 4-channel Audio input via XLR input connections. PrPro will only extract channels 1 & 2, and there are several threads on getting channels 3 & 4.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added [Edit]