6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2010 10:47 AM by Brenda VT Labor

Brand New Job--Trying to match monitor to printer

Brenda VT Labor Level 1

I see this probelm has come up before. However, I need A REAL SIMPLE explaination as to how to get the color on my my Chimei monitor (that is all I know about it) to be as true to real colors as possible. After that, I want the printout on my HP color laser jet 2550n to look pretty darn lose to what I am seeing on my screen. We have state graphic standards which require certain colors be used. Our standard Vermont state green is PMS 356. If I can get that to match, all others should follow suit, no? I do work now in INDesign and will undoubtedly branch out into the oother areas of CS4. I had a repair man come and clean the old color printer Friday. He said a Postscript driver would help. I will take any help I can get on this one. I have to look good for the new boss! Thank you all. I need all the help I can get. It is hard to design when colors aren't in sync.

• 1. Re: Brand New Job--Trying to match monitor to printer
          John Danek Level 4

There are no easy answers for you.  Your "boss" is going to have to make an investment or two.  But, for sake of this conversation, let's try to work with what you have.  If I were you I would not rely on the monitor.  I know, easy for me to say.  But, I have a hunch the brightness is too high.  See what you can do by contacting the manufacturer or reading their user guide for making adjustments.  Find out how you can get a more realistic color using the controls ( if any ).  Laser printers are difficult to get accurate colors.  If you somehow got that green to match, all other colors do not necessarily follow.  The advantage to Postscript is they have a RIP that can convert application colors to accurate printer values based on a calibration for each type of paper you plan to use.  Most accurate color managed workflows include some sort of color spectrometer and calibration software suitable for building profiles for both your monitor and printer.  A RIP allows you to store and access the printer profiles you've built with that equipment.  There's not enough space available here to explain everything you need to do.  Sorry.  Let me just say that you're not going to be able to impress anyone without the proper equipement.  Lasers are good for black and white text proofs, but color requires more sophisticated solutions such as the Epson Pro series or HP Designjet series.  All of those printers either come with a Postscript 3 RIP or there is a third party solution available for them.  I'm not so sure about the HP 2550n.

• 2. Re: Brand New Job--Trying to match monitor to printer
            Brenda VT Labor Level 1

Thank you. Now I can research cost for a new printer and hope for the best! Let me see...If my old memory serves me correctly RIP is Raster Image Processor??? I did very graphicy work 20 years ago. Memory fades...technology changes.

Brenda J. Greika

Communications and Outreach Coordinator

Vermont Department of Labor

5 Green Mountain Drive

P. O. Box 488

Montpelier, Vermont 05601-0488

Telephone: 802-828-3243

Fax: 802-828-4181

Cell: 802-793-4012

• 3. Re: Brand New Job--Trying to match monitor to printer
              John Danek Level 4

Yes, you are correct.  I'm sorry I did not explain that RIP stands for raster image processor ( not rest-in-peace, har, har ).  Don't forget, the printer is just one part of the puzzle.  But, an Epson Pro 3800 with a ColorBurst RIP is a good proofer.  Efi.com has another RIP ( actually, quite a few ) called the Designer Edition, but take a look at what they have and the printer list they include on their products pages.  Most of the Efi reference printers are inkjet.  Also, take a look at Monaco Proof ( you'll need an xRite colorimeter ) as a monitor and printer profiling application.  There are others, perhaps a keyword search will drum up others.  Good luck getting the head honcho to foot the bill.  If he plans on doing this type of work in-house, then it's pretty much mandatory.

• 4. Re: Brand New Job--Trying to match monitor to printer
                Brenda VT Labor Level 1

Thank you. It seems that I may have stepped on toes already by offering several technical suggestions. I think the tech guy was a little taken a-back by the amount of info I supplied. Oh well...

Brenda J. Greika

5 Green Mountain Drive

P. O. Box 488

• 5. Re: Brand New Job--Trying to match monitor to printer
                  John Danek Level 4

Ooops!  Already? If I can help, let me know.  I can contact you off the forum.

• 6. Re: Brand New Job--Trying to match monitor to printer
                    Brenda VT Labor Level 1

e-mail is:

Brenda.greika@state.vt.us

Thank you. It is a whole different environment from working for the agency of commerce....

Brenda J. Greika

5 Green Mountain Drive

P. O. Box 488