14 Replies Latest reply: Oct 6, 2010 2:31 PM by yocdub RSS

Rotating Gradients

TheDarkIn1978 Community Member

i've created a shape (left) with a radial gradient fill and have slightly transformed it for a different perspective.  now i want to simply rotate the shape (right), but when i do the gradient doesn't rotate with it.

this problem even happens when i try using the new perspective grid or other transforming tools.  the shape certainly changes perspective, but its gradient does not!  please tell me this problem can be address by a setting, or some other easy solution.

Screen shot 2010-08-23 at 9.25.09 AM.png

• 1. Re: Rotating Gradients
          Mylenium CommunityMVP

Create a symbol for it and transform the symbol. The undesirable reset of gradients and otehr fills have been there for as long as I can remember and that's pretty much the only way to coerce AI into "doing it right". You can of course also apply the transform effect.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Rotating Gradients
            JETalmage Community Member

What VERSION?

How exactly did you "slightly transform it for a different perspective"?

JET

• 3. Re: Rotating Gradients

converting it to a symbol and then transforming the symbol doesn't work for me.  it seems no matter what i do the gradient fills of transformed objects refuse to transform.  in the attached image it shows how the perspective grid doesn't work, but neither does it work with any of the Effect > Distort & Transform options.

@JETaImage - i'm using Illustrator CS5

Screen shot 2010-08-23 at 6.45.23 PM.png

• 4. Re: Rotating Gradients

Again: What method did you use initially to "slightly transform" the object on the left, before trying to rotate it? Start from the beginning and describe every step you performed to create the initial object that you now want to rotate.

JET

• 5. Re: Rotating Gradients

i slightly sheared the object (Object > Transform > Shear), and then added a slight distortion (Effect > Distort & Transform > Free Distort).  this method worked ok for the radial gradient i had on my object, but it's certainly not something i can count on for all of my gradients.

it's seems the answer is simple:  gradients are not transformed along with their objects.  i just wish that Illustrator CS5 included an option to transform fills along with objects.  it's completely counter-intuitave that it doesn't work this way, especially since the main new feature in Illustrator CS5 is the Perspective Grid tool.

• 6. Re: Rotating Gradients
                    Wade_Zimmerman Community Member

I think you are going about this in the wrong way I think you really should describe step by step how you created the work and then tried to apply it to the grid.

I thon you can acomplish what you want but have to go about it a different way

Screen shot 2010-08-25 at 8.42.31 AM.png

After all this is design to work a certain way and if you decide you want it to worka different way yiu will definitely have problms trying to make a square peg fit in a round whole.

• 7. Re: Rotating Gradients

i've created a simple rectangle shape with a linear gradient of black, yellow and orange.  i've angled that gradient so that the middle yellow color extends exactly from the top left corner to the bottom right corner of the rectangle.

now i want to change the perspective of that rectangle, but maintain the placed gradient fill.

i selected the Perspective Grid Tool so that the grid appears on screen.  then i select my rectangle with the gradient fill and press Command (Mac) + Drag to move the rectangle onto the grid so that it's perspective changes according to the grid.  however, as you can clearly see in the image below, the new perspective transform does not maintain the position of the gradient fill (yellow line from corner to corner).

Screen shot 2010-08-28 at 4.49.11 AM.png

of course now i could manually change the gradient of the new perspective after the transformation, but this is not possible for radial gradients and it's certainly not a simple task to have to rework a detailed gradient mesh.

• 8. Re: Rotating Gradients
                        Michael Riordan Community Member

You might try the 3D Rotate effect. It will move a gradient into 3D space and hold the geometry.

• 9. Re: Rotating Gradients

Your initial complaint was that you couldn't rotate a path that already contained a distorted grad. That is not so. That is why I kept asking you to describe FULLY what you did to create the first object.

Radial Grads can be scaled along with their containing paths, but not distorted. The distribution of Linear grad color stops can be scaled along with their containing objects, but not their angle. Linear grads can be scaled and distorted along with their containing paths using Envelopes. Envelopes can be distorted with the Free Transform tool.

JET

• 10. Re: Rotating Gradients

Grads distorted by 3D Effect>Rotate are rasterized. Grads distorted by Envelopes become vector Meshes.

JET

• 11. Re: Rotating Gradients

Why don't you tell us what you want to accomplish rather then tell us what is right or wrong with gradients and the perspective grid.

And if you just want to tell everyone what you don't lie about the gradients and perspective grid why not just list it rather than have us go back and forth with you after each response with yet another problem.

It seems to me that you do not have an actual project that you require help with but rather just showing us how you can find something wrong with whatever is mentioned here on this thread. I for one though you had a problem with a project or you had need to do this often.

Please explain the purpose! That way we will at least know if we can actually be of assistance or if we just want to enter a dialog with you.

Thanks

• 12. Re: Rotating Gradients

no need to get testy, wade.  i've been rather clear with what i'm trying to accomplish:  transforming an object's gradient along with the object transformation.  using the new perspective grid would be more ideal than using 3D transform tools.  it doesn't seem possible.

• 13. Re: Rotating Gradients

What is the purpose of this thread are you just discussing how this works or do you actually have a specific need for this.

The reason is that though you might want something to work a certain way you may be barking up the wrong tree. There simply may be a better way or there may be n way at all.

And then of course if it is a feature request you posted in the wrong section of the forum.

But trying to second guess you is not possible since you can change it at any time so let us know what the intent of this is. In case you think you are being direct and forthright I for one do not see that, I have no clue as to whether you actually have a need.

• 14. Re: Rotating Gradients
                                    yocdub

I'm currently having the same problem. I have a 3 color gradient going north to south in some type that will be out put for a vehicle wrap. I need to place a series of these objects/type on a sheet and arrange them for optimal output to not waste printing space. To do that I need to rotate some of the objects on the sheet (art board) ...but when doing that the gradient applied in those objects does not rotate with the object is stays stationary while i rotate the object into place, thus screwing up the print. I just need the gradient applied to object to rotate with it. Very frustrating.