11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2010 11:00 AM by burgerjd

9.3.4 Update Broke HyperLinks to Excel Spread Sheets located on Same Domain.

burgerjd

I have created company procedural documents in PDF using Adobe Pro 9.3.3.

These procedures contain hyperlinks to Excel spreadsheets that are located on an Internal Domain File Server. When I click on the Hyperlink using Adobe Reader 9.3.3, Excel launches and opens the spreadsheet . Adobe Reader or Adobe Pro 9.3.4 won’t open the link. Adobe 9.3.4 pops up a Window saying the spread sheet cannot be found, make sure you type the name correctly so on and so on. I Click OK on the first pop up, a second Adobe Pop-up window opens saying "Could Not Open the file" followed by the correct path to the spread sheet. I just tested it on a computer running Adobe Reader 9.3.3 and the hyperlinks worked fine. I then Upgraded Adobe Reader to 9.3.4, absolutely no other changes, and the hyperlinks no longer work..Same pop up..Cannot find .xls"..."Could not open .xls"..

Hyperlink syntax being used is \\servername\sharename\folder\spreadsheet.xls . So what setting do I need to chase down in 9.3.4 to correct this? What changed in 9.3.4 from 9.3.3?

• 1. Re: 9.3.4 Update Broke HyperLinks to Excel Spread Sheets located on Same Domain.
          VCU_TF

Same here.  Department has a procedures manual located on a local domain, not published to a website, and there are hundreds of Word and Excel files linked.  Has worked fine for a couple of years, until the most recent update to Adobe Reader and Adobe Acrobat.  Now, as each person's machine updates to the latest, when they click the Word or Excel links, an error message comes back that Windows cannot find xxx.doc or xxx.xls file.  I put in a bug report to Adobe, but bug reporting isn't something I done before, so who knows how that will pan out.

I note, moving the manual and associated documents to our website, the referenced links worked, with no extra tweaking.  Just local files seem to be barred.

Hopefully Adobe addresses soon, because even reverting back to a slightly older version of the Reader and Professional would not stick, as updates (either through Adobe or local administration) forced Windows Installer to update back to the flawed, newest version, even with Updater turned off on one system, which makes sense not to run an insecure version.

Good luck.

• 2. Re: 9.3.4 Update Broke HyperLinks to Excel Spread Sheets located on Same Domain.
            burgerjd Level 1

Thanks for the comments VCU_TF...appreciate it.

You may find this interesting.

We create our procedures using MS Word (Word docs).

We then PDF the Word doc using Adobe Pro 9, users can only access the PDF files for obvious reasons. (Worked great until 9.3.4). This morning we found one PDF document that still worked (Hyperlinks to Excel Spreadsheet still worked). You will like this…This particular document was PDF'd using Microsoft's “Save as PDF” Add-in for Office 2007. So if you use Adobe Pro and PDF a Word Document, then open it in Adobe Reader 9.3.4, Hyperlinks to Spreadsheets do not work. Now if you use Microsoft Office Save as PDF Add-in, then open the PDF file in Adobe Reader 9.3.4, Links work. I think I remember Adobe throwing a fit about Microsoft Office 2007 and the Add-In. Microsoft wanted to include the Add-In when you installed Office 2007, Adobe Barked, Microsoft ended up offering it as a download Add-in. Go figure.

Good Luck to You Also…

• 3. Re: 9.3.4 Update Broke HyperLinks to Excel Spread Sheets located on Same Domain.
              moonchildokc Level 1

I'm having the same problem.  Any luck figuring this out yet?

• 4. Re: 9.3.4 Update Broke HyperLinks to Excel Spread Sheets located on Same Domain.
                burgerjd Level 1

Not yet moonchilddokc

We are looking at switching our PDF reader to Foxit...

Foxit is quite a bit more stream line and takes up considerably less space....and it opens Spread Sheets just fine..

• 5. Re: 9.3.4 Update Broke HyperLinks to Excel Spread Sheets located on Same Domain.
                  gil blum

I have used Adobe Reader for a long time.  When I updated to 9.3.4 on Aug. 23, 2010, on my MAC (OS 10.6.4) the background was and remains a checkerboard.  It is extremely hard to read the files.  How do I remove that background layer?  Gil Blum

• 6. Re: 9.3.4 Update Broke HyperLinks to Excel Spread Sheets located on Same Domain.
                    skippermq Level 1

We are experiencing a similar problem with Reader 9.3.4

We have training products produced in Acrobat 6, as PDFs which have hyperlinks to run Flash movies (SWFs). The products are installed from CD onto users' hard drives.

The products have worked on hundreds of PCs and Macs, but as each customer updates to Reader 9.3.4 they report failure to open the SWFs.

The SWFs are organised in a hierarchy of folders depending on exact topic. All the movies are inside a "data" folder, then main topic folders, down to sub-topic folders.

I have found that the PDF hyperlinks will open a copy of the relevant SWF if it is placed in the same folder as the calling PDF, but not when it is in its rightful position down the path.

The initial error message shown when files are in their correct folders says e.g.  "Cannot find anchoring_one.swf" suggesting that only the filename is called and not the path. However the second message, displayed when the first is acknowledged, says e.g. "Cannot open data/anchoring/anchoring_one.swf" So the hyperlink IS outputting the full path, but somehow it it is being truncated to file name only.

Seems that the call is produced from the hyperlink correctly, and registers with the system as full path. Then the call is passed forward to a function which should actually open the file and here loses its path, so file-open fails and returns a "Cannot Find" message. The return code from this function is passed back as a failure, to the prior function which still knows the path. This prior function then issues the "Cannot Open" message, including the full path.

Is is totally impractical for us to rewrite and re-issue the programs in any other format, or stop thousands of independent customers from upgrading to Reader 9.3.4

I hope Adobe can fix this issue VERY quickly.

MartinQ

NauticalSoftware.com

• 7. Re: 9.3.4 Update Broke HyperLinks to Excel Spread Sheets located on Same Domain.
                      HKPadmin

I've also submitted a bug report to Adobe for what it's worth.

Just joining the chorus... upgrading to 9.3.4 breaks Acrobat's ability to link to external files; I've confirmed this by doing a install and patching all the way to 9.3.3; as soon as the 9.3.4 patch is applied, bookmarks can no longer link to external files. Others posts on this thread do a great job describing the details and providing speculation as to root cause.

This is very frustrating - as a firm we have extensively used Acrobat and it's bookmarking as a method to organize files.   A single PDF acts as the 'table of contents', which links to many external files which all relate to a single client.  This is more than inconvenient - it is breaking core functionality for us. Given this lapse in QA, we are reviewing are currently work flow practices and are researching options that *do not* include Acrobat for anything more than just creating PDF's.

• 8. Re: 9.3.4 Update Broke HyperLinks to Excel Spread Sheets located on Same Domain.
                        burgerjd Level 1

FYI....We are switching to Foxit for our reader. Probably soon to be followed by Foxits version of Adobe Pro for PDF Creation.

1: Foxit only takes up about 11MB of hard drive space...instead of the bloated 140MB for Adobe Reader...much faster to open...more streamline.

2: Foxit does not have the hyperlink problem Adobe has failed to respond to.

3: foxit has a couple of nice features...tab browsing (for multiple documents open at the same time)...multiple instances...so far my users like it...

Oops...guess I shouldn’t be promoting other products on the Adobe site...but....if Adobe would have responded sooner...so sorry Adobe.

• 9. Re: 9.3.4 Update Broke HyperLinks to Excel Spread Sheets located on Same Domain.
                          VCU_TF Level 1

My department has migrated end users to Foxit (making sure to not  accept any unwanted toolbars and offers made during the installs).

Unlike  Adobe, the other reader allows the user to turn off the Enable Safe Reading Mode  in the Trust Manager, allowing external attachments to open.

I'm not sure that any Bug reports have made any impact, since I've never actually been contacted about mine and the problem seems to still exist in 9.3.4.

• 10. Re: 9.3.4 Update Broke HyperLinks to Excel Spread Sheets located on Same Domain.
                            moonchildokc Level 1

Well, supposedly tomorrow's patch will correct this, but since I first reported this on August 31, I'd say a month is unacceptable "down" time for those of us dependent on hyperlinks.  I cannot express adequately how frustrated I've been trying to talk to support at Adobe about this.  On one call, I held for FIFTY-TWO minutes before a human came on the line, only to tell me that I could call back later because they didn't have a solution yet.  Completely unacceptable!!!

• 11. Re: 9.3.4 Update Broke HyperLinks to Excel Spread Sheets located on Same Domain.
                              burgerjd Level 1

FYI...

Foxit offers an Enterprise Distributable Version of their reader.

No toolbars. Of course they want your email address and want to sell you their pro products like everybody else, but from an Admin standpoint its worth it. Also there is a Foxit PDF viewer plug-in for Outlook from a third party that works great….

I will be curious to see Adobes patch tomorrow..