8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2010 6:30 AM by the_wine_snob

Pe8 can't find files...

Chirp6454

Thanks for any help. I really like this program and hope I survive the learning curve. I actually was looking at a post in this forum similar to my problem yesterday but couldn't figure out exactly how it applies to me.

Here's what's happening...

I'm trying to add titles and effects to some home movies. Here's the problem I'm having...When I tell PE8 to get the files directly from the DVD it goes through the motions and then I get some generic icons where the moves files shoud be. If I try to open one of them I get an error that they can't be found on drive F:. I found the files and they are in drive C:. If I point Pe8 to the files on drive C: they disappear and I can't bring them in.

My computer has two physical hard drives: Drive 1 which is partitioned as C: (boot) and D:. Drive 2 is partitioned as F: and G:. Just for your information drive E: is my DVD. PE8 is installed on drive C:. It is not a dual-boot system. It's windows 7 Home Premium.

Why does PE8 keep looking in drive f: and how can I fix this?  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Pe8 can't find files...
          the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are Importing VOB's from a DVD, you will be best served to first Copy those from the DVD disc, to the HDD. Then, Import from there. Otherwise, you will have two issues: that DVD disc must be in the drive, whenever you work on that Project, and every time that your program needs to access that, it will be much slower, than from the internal HDD.

Also, your Project file (PREL) does not contain ANY media, and only links to it.

[Edit] This ARTICLE will give you some background on the PREL.

Good luck,

Hunt

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added [Edit]

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Pe8 can't find files...
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Though it has nothing to do with PrE wanting the actual Asset files, this ARTICLE on partitions might be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Pe8 can't find files...
              Chirp6454 Level 1

Thank you very much. I will check out those articles as soon as I get back from the dentist arggghhh. By the way, is it necessary to rename .vob files to .mpg or .mpeg?

• 4. Re: Pe8 can't find files...
                the_wine_snob Level 9

If the VOB's are 100% DVD-compliant (very important), then PrE should be able to just Import them without issue.

This ARTICLE will give you some background.

Good luck at the dentist!

Hunt

• 5. Re: Pe8 can't find files...
                  Chirp6454 Level 1

Thanks BH for all your help. I did copy the VOB files to the HD first and then import them from there. I'm still having problems though. I import the first file using 'Organize > Get Media > PC Files and Folders' and all is well. I import the second file and it replaces the first file. The first file is gone and all I have is the second file. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

• 6. Re: Pe8 can't find files...
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Within the VIDEO_TS folder, each VOB should be unique, say _01, _02, etc.. They should not overwrite each other. It would be like several AV files with unique names. They will not overwrite each other, and will Import as individual files. Something is not adding up here. What are the file names of the VOB's?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Pe8 can't find files...
                      Chirp6454 Level 1

The file names are

VTS_01__1.vob

thru

VTS_01_5.vob.

Also included in the directory are:

video_ts.bup, video_ts.ifo, video_ts.vob, vts_01_0_ifo, vts_01-0.bup.

I have only been copying the ones that I can play from the original file by right-clicking on them. The ones that will play are vts_01_1.vob, thru vts_01_5.vob.

Just so you know this DVD was created by dubbing a vhs tape to DVD in a consumer-grade Toshiba deck designed to do just that.

Thanks!

Oh yeah by the way I am changing the vob to mpeg before importing from HD.

• 8. Re: Pe8 can't find files...
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

The VOB's are the only files in the VIDEO_TS folder, that will contain any AV material. The IFO and BUP are for the DVD player, though some DVD player software will also launch/load/play on those from Windows Explorer.

Now, if the VOB's have unique names (which they certainly should), then upon Import, PrE should not replace ANY Asset with them. They should Import as unique Assets with their unique names. Are you certain that PrE is replacing existing media in the Project Panel? If so, then something is very wrong.

Good luck,

Hunt