It would help if you would specify
- your Windows version
- your Adobe Reader version
- what you are trying to do when this error pops up
It looks like you do not have access to the registry key mentioned i.e. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run\Optional Components\IMAIL.
This might be due to the fact that you may not be added to the Administrators group or the registry key has been denied access explicitly to a group that you may be part of.
People in my network setup were facing the same issue, and we fixed the same using Microsoft's "subinacl" tool. You can follow the below mentioned steps to rectify your issue as well:
1. Download Microsoft's SubinACL tool from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe -4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en
2. Install the same by double clicking on the "subinacl.msi" just downloaded.
3. Open Command Prompt window through the Run Dialog Box (Start -> Run and type "cmd" and click OK)
4. In the Command Prompt window, type in the following commands:
i. cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools" (Hit Enter)
ii. subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Opti onalComponents /grant=administrators=f /grant=SYSTEM=f /grant=USERS=f /grant="Creator Owner"=f (Hit Enter)
You should see some processes happening on your screen. After the process ends, retry the update operation you were originally trying to perform. Hopefully, it should succeed now.
worked like a charm. thanks for the solution