4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2007 11:58 AM by Newsgroup_User

Flash and AICC

thanetm
      Basically we have built an e-learning manual entirely in flash, with separate swfs for the separate modules,sitting in an html page. However this is a dual project and while the solution is fine for one client, the other client has now said that it needs to be integrated into their Plateau LMS system, basically to track pages (bookmarking), using AICC.

I have not the first idea on how to achieve this. I have spent a huge amount of time trying to research this on the web, and have succeeded in tying myself in knots. Do we need to create separate pages for every module, that can then be dragged into plateau as flash objects, or is it done with actionscript?

Can anyone guide me on where to get some advice or help? Please?

Thank you

Michelle

• 1. Re: Flash and AICC
          Level 7
          Hi thanetm,

I've never heard of the Plateau system and they don't seem to have much
          available off the top page to indicate how the system runs. Presumably,
          this runs on the web, is that correct? And the current system, is it
          HTML-based? If so, you can create HTML templates for each of your
          modules (HTML that simply loads your SWFs) and then make sure your SWFs
          are where they're expected to be. For web-based content, submitting the
          results of things like quizzes is usually done via a POST (or
          occassionally GET) operation. The structure of this operation can vary
          widely. To analyze a typical transaction, grab yourself a web debugging
          proxy like Charles or Fiddler. This literally intercepts all web traffic
          in and our of your computer so you can see what the system does. Then,
          open up a Plateau session and watch how the system interacts with the
          server. How are page requests made? How are quizzes submitted? Once you
          have a good grasp on how LMS works behind the scenes, you should be able
          to replicate it in Flash.

I know this is very generic and the project you describe has very broad
          parameters (and not much to go on on the company site), so if I were
          asked to marry two systems, this is how I would start.

Hope this helps,
          Patrick

thanetm wrote:
          > Basically we have built an e-learning manual entirely in flash, with separate
          > swfs for the separate modules,sitting in an html page. However this is a dual
          > project and while the solution is fine for one client, the other client has now
          > said that it needs to be integrated into their Plateau LMS system, basically to
          > track pages (bookmarking), using AICC.
          >
          > I have not the first idea on how to achieve this. I have spent a huge amount
          > of time trying to research this on the web, and have succeeded in tying myself
          > in knots. Do we need to create separate pages for every module, that can then
          > be dragged into plateau as flash objects, or is it done with actionscript?
          >
          > Can anyone guide me on where to get some advice or help? Please?
          >
          > Thank you
          >
          > Michelle
          >
          >
          >

--
          http://www.baynewmedia.com
          Faster, easier, better...ActionScript development taken to new heights.
          Download the BNMAPI today. You'll wonder how you ever did without it!
          Available for ActionScript 2.0/3.0.
          • 2. Re: Flash and AICC
            thanetm Level 1
            Thank you for responding. The more time I spend looking into this, the more I think it is an impossible task. I find a lot of information regarding the learning objects/quizzes etc, but that is not required by the client as they are building their own quiz, presumably using the LMS system.

The flash content we have is purely information - lots of text, tables, images, animations etc, spread over lots of pages and modules, that will be deployed on the company intranet. In addition I have never seen the LMS system in question, and don't have access to it.

I guess we need to find a third party with experience in Flash and Plateau, because I can't stand to keep banging my head on a brick wall!!

Thank you for your time!
            • 3. Re: Flash and AICC
              Designforce
              Good Morning,

With some LMS's you can use a simple fscommand to pass a statement as this:
              fscommand ("done","");

The above passes a simple completion command to the LMS. This is for the ILIAS lms. Moodle uses something similar. I am sure if you contact the company.

Also found this link which may help, I have not checked it out myself but...

http://www.actionscript.org/forums/archive/index.php3/t-3832.html

Bottom line, I know it is possible as I do it now, you just need to get the specifics for the LMS you are working with.

Good luck
              • 4. Re: Flash and AICC
                Level 7
                In my experience, very few things are impossible to do with Flash. You
                really just need to do the research and get some information from the
                client. For them to ask you to work with a system that they're not
                willing to give you access to, I would be quite blunt with them and tell
                them they're being extremely unreasonable. If they still persist on
                keeping you in the dark, you'll be doing yourself a huge favour and
                simply dropping them.

I think that the issue will be that even if you do find someone with
                experience with this system, not having access to it will be a *major*
                hindrance. What's really being asked here? "We want you to integrate it
                with out system but you won't have access to integrate it." In other
                words, we want you to do X and will prevent you from doing it. That's a
                one way ticket to the nut house :)

Best of luck!

Patrick

thanetm wrote:
                > Thank you for responding. The more time I spend looking into this, the more I
                > think it is an impossible task. I find a lot of information regarding the
                > learning objects/quizzes etc, but that is not required by the client as they
                > are building their own quiz, presumably using the LMS system.
                >
                > The flash content we have is purely information - lots of text, tables,
                > images, animations etc, spread over lots of pages and modules, that will be
                > deployed on the company intranet. In addition I have never seen the LMS system
                > in question, and don't have access to it.
                >
                > I guess we need to find a third party with experience in Flash and Plateau,
                > because I can't stand to keep banging my head on a brick wall!!
                >
                > Thank you for your time!
                >