10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2010 12:11 PM by BigJohnD

does pm7 work with 64 bit Win7 OS?

economist22

Hi. Several participants in this forum indicated that pagemaker 7.0 works fine in Windows7, but then specified that they have the 32 bit version. Unfortunately, my new laptop came with a 64 bit version of Win 7, Home Premium,  and the Intel processor (Celeron 900) will not allow me to create a virtual XP mode, even if I upgrade to the Professional or Ultimate version. Before I upgrade my current version of Pagemaker 6.0 (yes, I know it's an antique) to PM 7.0, I would like to know if it will run on my 64 bit Win 7 machine. Thanks. Bob

• 1. Re: does pm7 work with 64 bit Win7 OS?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Don't waste your money. For $199 you can get InDesign.

Bob

• 2. Re: does pm7 work with 64 bit Win7 OS?
            markerline Level 4

I had some old PageMaker files that required PM7 in order to open them--InDesign wouldn't do the trick.  I am running

Windows Vista 64-bit and PM7 runs on that.  Whether Win7 is similar is a question I would pose to the installation department at Adobe Tech Support.

• 3. Re: does pm7 work with 64 bit Win7 OS?

ID CS2 and earlier cannot open PM files on Win XP SP3, Vista or Win 7. Additionally, InDesign can only open PM 6.x and 7.x files.

There's no point wasting time with Adobe support. PM is a DEAD product which has seen no real updates in 15 years. To expect something like that to install and run smoothly on Win 7 is simply foolish.

Bob

• 4. Re: does pm7 work with 64 bit Win7 OS?
                BigJohnD Level 3

economist22 wrote:

Before I upgrade my current version of Pagemaker 6.0 (yes, I know it's an antique) to PM 7.0, I would like to know if it will run on my 64 bit Win 7 machine. Thanks. Bob

No.

Go and find a Win95 or Win98 PC and use that to open your PM files.

PM6 was ropey at the best of times being a bridge from Win3.1 to Win95.

As for newer software, with a bit of luck your PM6 Licence number will qualify you for a big discount on InDesign.

• 5. Re: does pm7 work with 64 bit Win7 OS?
                  markerline Level 4

While there may be issues such as the above posters mentioned, I can verify that Adobe Pagemaker 7.0.2 which comes on the PM7 installation Disc from Adobe directly DOES in fact install and run on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit without the need for XP Mode (Windows XP Virtual Machine).  The only issue I ran across was in closing the program PageMaker crashed.  But the work was already opened, edited, and saved.  I tested a PM template file and exported to HTML as a test.  I did not try to export to PDF which probably would have been wise to troubleshoot. 

If you absolutely cannot live without upgrading to InDesign because you have a library of PageMaker 4 and above files then I would try purchasing PM7 from the Adobe.com store directly.  You cannot download--it is a box shipped to your street address only.

Optionally, if you have installation discs as BigJohnD hinted for Windows 95/98 or Windows XP you can purchase VMWare for the PC which is a virtual machine that runs older operating systems within the native operating system of your computer.  With VMWare for the mac which is VMWare Fusion you can still run Windows operating systems on your Mac while Mac OS is opened.

hope that helps.

• 7. Re: does pm7 work with 64 bit Win7 OS?
                    economist22 Level 1

Thanks so much for your reply, it was very helpful. Just one question: you verified that pm7 will run on windows 7 ultimate 64-bit machine,but will it also run on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit machine, which is what I have, or will I have to upgrade to ultimate. Thanks again

• 8. Re: does pm7 work with 64 bit Win7 OS?

The only thing you can verify is that it worked for YOU. I attribute that to dumb luck and nothing more.

It's still a ticking timebomb.

Bob

• 9. Re: does pm7 work with 64 bit Win7 OS?
                        markerline Level 4

Since I don't have access to Home Premium I cannot troubleshoot it for you.  There is a wikipedia article on PageMaker on the US English wikipedia site that mentions compatibility.  I think there is also a compatibility agent for Windows 7 that you can install and run on your computer to see if you can run the applications that you currently have or if you need to upgrade.  The agent is called Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor.

Per Bob's most recent post I guess it only worked in my situation so I cannot give you an authoritative response as to why it does work on my machine.  I would contact Microsoft and Adobe both via email or Microsoft's forums to see if you can find a Microsoft MVP who might know more than I do in terms of installation and runtime issues.

I will say that the difference between Win 7 Ultimate and Win 7 Home Premium has to do with security (BitLocker protection) and the fact that Ultimate (and Professional) can run Windows XP mode which is an XP virtual machine--that runs older programs that run in XP--similar to the way that you can run Windows in a Mac OS X environment through VMWare.  If you truly wish to use Windows 7 and your computer's BIOS and Processor set support the Microsoft Virtual PC which is what XP Mode runs on then upgrade your Windows 7 so that you can be sure to be able to run PageMaker-------IF you can't upgrade to InDesign, which is the most desired result rather than using PageMaker at all.

EDIT::  I just saw your original post again and saw that you can not run XP mode.  But you CAN run VMWare which will allow you to install VMWare for the PC and then a licensed retail copy of Windows XP.  So you can still use Windows XP--BIOS and hardware don't make a difference in this case.   But you will have to find a NEW copy of XP SP 2 (upgradeable to SP3 via Microsoft/Windows Update) and you will have to purchase a license of VMWare.

Message was edited by: markerline

• 10. Re: does pm7 work with 64 bit Win7 OS?
                          BigJohnD Level 3

markerline wrote:

… you will have to find a NEW copy of XP SP 2 (upgradeable to SP3 via Microsoft/Windows Update) and you will have to purchase a license of VMWare.

Sounds an expensive and complicated way to get an obsolete and potentially unstable application to run…  but no doubt it can work.

For something like £199, you can have InDesign, http://www.adobe.com/products/pagemaker/ and if there's only a couple of PM files to be updated, then I'm sure there's someone who can help.

Edit:  Excellent news!   http://store.adobe.com/store/en_gb/popup/software/indesign5/pagemakerupgrade.html

Adobe® PageMaker® customers can upgrade to Adobe InDesign® CS5 software. Users of  PageMaker 6.0 and later  can purchase this upgrade from the online Adobe Store or any Adobe Authorized Reseller.