1 2 Previous Next 49 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2012 11:59 PM by Vinay28

Error 1402 - Could not open key

watersdonna62@gmail.com Level 1

Error 1402 Could not open key - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run\Optional Components\IMAIL.  Verify you have sufficient access to that key or contact your support personnel.

I have been trying for weeks to get this error message to stop coming up.  I have ordered RegCure to fix the problem and it didn't. I received a refund.  I have tried numerous attempts to remove the Adobe Reader and the above message keeps popping up.  I don't know how to use the Regedit and I am the primary user on this computer.  I eaglerly await for a response and help with this issue.  I see that I am not the only one with this issue.

• 1. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key
          pwillener Level 8

It would help if you would specify

• your Windows version
          • your Adobe Reader version
          • what you are trying to do when this error pops up
          • 2. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key
            Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Hi,

It looks like you do not have access to the registry key mentioned i.e. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run\Optional Components\IMAIL.

This might be due to the fact that you may not be added to the Administrators group or the registry key has been denied access explicitly to a group that you may be part of.

People in my network setup were facing the same issue, and we fixed the same using Microsoft's "subinacl" tool. You can follow the below mentioned steps to rectify your issue as well:

1. Download Microsoft's SubinACL tool from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e39 27b&displaylang=en

2. Install the same by double clicking on the "subinacl.msi" just downloaded.

3. Open Command Prompt window through the Run Dialog Box (Start -> Run and type "cmd" and click OK)

4. In the Command Prompt window, type in the following commands:

i. cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools" (Hit Enter)

ii. subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents /grant=administrators=f /grant=SYSTEM=f /grant=USERS=f /grant="Creator Owner"=f (Hit Enter)

You should see some processes happening on your screen. After the process ends, retry the operation you were originally trying to perform. Hopefully, they should succeed now.

• 3. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key
              watersdonna62@gmail.com Level 1

I have Windows XP and I am trying to install the latest version of Adobe Reader 9.3.2.  I've been trying to remove it by going into the Add/Remove Program feature but it stops midway and gives me the above message.  I even tried repairing it and the error message pops up.  I had even done a system restore and that didn't work.  Hoping someone can help.....

• 4. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key
                pwillener Level 8

Have you tried  the instructions that Ankit_Jain posted above?

• 5. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key
                  Sophie_King Level 1

I also have the same problem. I tried the solution mentioned above, I completed all the steps and was still unable to install, I am the administrator of this computer so I don't understand how I wouldn't have rights to the key mentioned. After entering the second command this is what I was told.

http://i35.tinypic.com/tapimo.png

• 6. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key
                    vsh07 Level 2

Just check if following link can be of any help to you:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/329/329137.html

• 7. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key

Hi Sophie,

Am really sorry for the typo. I had inserted a "space" between the registry key name (Opti onalComponents instead of OptionalComponents)

The corrected steps are as below:

1. Download Microsoft's SubinACL tool from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe -4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en

3. Open Command Prompt window through the Run Dialog Box (Start -> Run and type "cmd" and click OK)

ii. subinacl  /subkeyreg  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents /grant=administrators=f /grant=SYSTEM=f /grant=USERS=f  /grant="Creator Owner"=f (Hit Enter)

Hope this works now. Apologies again for the typo..

• 8. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key
                        Sophie_King Level 1

Thats no problem, but still recieved the same

• 9. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key

It would be great if you could please post the image of the error you are receiving after running the edited command.

• 10. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key
                            Sophie_King Level 1

Oh sorry, I must have done a typo myself, your solution worked, thank you very much.

• 12. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key

Could you please try again with the corrected command as the post  above. There was a small typo in my earlier post which I have rectified  and reposted in the post above. (Opti onalComponents instead of  OptionalComponents)

Please try now, it should work now.

• 13. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key
                                pwillener Level 8

Sophie_King wrote:

Oh sorry, I must have done a typo myself...

You know that you can paste into the Command Prompt window via mouse right-click?  It helps a lot when having to type long registry keys.

• 14. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key
                                  Sophie_King Level 1

Ha! I didnt know, thanks for telling me.

Learn more on the internet than you do in A level ICT

• 15. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key
                                    horatio67 Level 1

I can't fix this yet..got as far as kits/tools, probably trouble with the optional components part of the equation...Here is what i used:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Opti onalComponents/grant=administrators=f /grant=SYSTEM=f /grant=USERS=f  /grant="Creator Owner"=f

I've also tried with the space..can you reproduce the link so i can copy it correctly?

• 16. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key

You seem to have an error in the key you have used. Can you please copy the contents as stated in Post #7 above i.e.

"4. In the Command Prompt window, type in the following commands:

ii. subinacl  /subkeyreg  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents /grant=administrators=f /grant=SYSTEM=f /grant=USERS=f  /grant="Creator Owner"=f (Hit Enter)"

Post #7 is the correct command to rectify the problem. Hope the new command works for you.!!

• 17. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key
                                        horatio67 Level 1

Thank you Ankit, I

was finally able to update Adobe and everything seems fine now.

Thanks again and have a great day!!!

• 18. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key
                                          jped62 Level 1

error1402.jpg

I have found no category in Regedit for UNKNOWN.  I have uninstalled Adobe 9.3.3 with Revo Uninstaller using moderate registry cleanup.  Rebooted and this error still appears when trying to install v9.3.4 from the Adobe website.  Also saved the install file to the C drive, ran it locally with same result.  The same error appeared during removal.  No matter what I try, the same message pops up.  WinXP.  Tried the beta Windows cleanup utility, but a message says it 'can't download, please check your internet connection'.  Tried the DOS utility posted by Ankit, it installed, but 'path cannot be found' was the result.

• 19. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key
                                            vsh07 Level 2

ohhh...You have already tried enough of the things   but still lets give it a one more try

Click Start, Run and type regedit.exe and go to following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\.api\AcroExch.Plugin\ShellNew

On the Edit menu(Right click on ShellNew Folder), click Permissions.

Select your user account from the list, and ensure that Full Control permissions is set to Allow.

Select Administrators group from the list, and give then Full Control permissions.

Click the Advanced button

Select Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects.

Deselect Inherit from parent the permission entries that apply to child objects. Include these with entries explicitly defined here

Click Apply, and then click Yes when you are prompted to continue. Click OK, and then click OK again.

Exit the Registry editor.

I think this solution should work becuse even the utility mentioned above is doing the same thing on the other registry keys

• 20. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key
                                              jped62 Level 1

I followed your steps for the .api~shellnew key and found I had to add Administrators to the group list.  I did so, granted full permissions, then used the "replace permissions" option.  Ran the install again and got the same error for the .pdx~shellnew...fixed that key with same steps, then got another error from the secstore~shellnew key.  Had to fix that key as well using your steps.  I had to add Administrators to the group list in each case.  Ran the install a third time and it finally worked.  Version 9.3.4 is up and running properly now.  Thanks very much for your help!  I'm sure this will help others as well.

• 21. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key
                                                NYCEddie Level 1

Ankit_Jain: I followed your corrected instructions (I printed them) dated August 10, 2010 (To Sophie) and it was a successful fix as the Task Bar icon notifying me that an update was available for some reason disappeared but I was able to remove Reader 9.3.3 and download 9.3.4.

However, in following your instructions as a tyro I found that your instructions included unnecessary data which is not accepted by the forgiving system.  First, in the Command Prompt window, when typing in the following commands, as typed by you: "i. cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools" (Hit Enter)" one cannot include "i."  One has to start with "cd /d..." because if one starts with "i." it is not accepted.

The same thing for " ii. subinacl  /subkeyreg"  Do not include"ii.", start with "subinacl..."

Finally, you have "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE..." placed below "subinacl  /subkeyreg" as if one has to add a return.  I found that you type "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE..." on the same line as "subinacl  /subkeyreg" after leaving a space.  However, I know this happened because the HKEY... line is longer than the space on the line with "subinacl  /subkeyreg" so it was automatically moved down.

Thank you for the instructions, it is such a relief that they worked because while I was doing it I was fearful that my going into the computer's "innards" to instruct could have resulted in a dead computer and I don't know who I could have called for help and I would have gotten hell from my wife who is always warning me about messing with the computer's programming.  Whew!

• 22. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key
                                                  pwillener Level 8

The 'i' and 'ii' in Ankit_Jain's instructions were enumerations, not part of the code.  Sometimes it is clearer when such code is written in code tags, like

1. cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools" (Hit Enter)
                                                  2. subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents /grant=administrators=f /grant=SYSTEM=f /grant=USERS=f /grant="Creator Owner"=f (Hit Enter)

this way it is more obvious which part needs to be copied.

P.S. I also used 'i. and 'ii.' enumerations in my list above, but the forum software changed it to '1.' and '2.'...

• 23. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key
                                                    NYCEddie Level 1

Thanks for your elucidation, I appreciate it.  However, as written by Ankit_Jain (or anyone) once a colon is used everything that follows the colon has to be accepted as it is written.  I used to be an editor.  Ankit_Jain intimates that i. and ii. are part of the "commands" to be written in the CP.  Not a big deal.  I'm a computer novice so when I'm "given" a command I tend to follow it and when it doesn't work I try to figure out why.  I also had to learn not to include a Return after /subkeyreg as it seems obvious.  Fortunately, the CP allows you to err without having to start all over again, just retype.  And the best part is that Ankit_Jain's instructions worked.  A lot of people (on a google search for Error 1402) are still suffering and do not know how to correct this problem.

ii. subinacl  /subkeyreg

• 24. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key

Hi Eddie,

As ʇɐb ɹəuəllıʍ rightly pointed out, the characters "i, ii" weren't a part of the actual command instruction set. Though, your advice is good one and I will make sure that the next time, I post something similar, I take care of the same.

Thanks

Ankit

P.S. Glad to know, that it worked for you inspite of the confusion caused!!!

• 25. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key
                                                        NYCEddie Level 1

Hi Ankit: So good to hear from you.  I didn't mean to sound superior

because I said I was an editor when I pointed out that any time there is a

colon what follows the colon is to be taken at face value.  So, while not

intended as such, the instructions forced one to type i. and ii. except

that when the system tells you that i. is not recognized, I doubt anyone

will also type ii.  I didn't (I learn fast!   And as I mentioned, I

thought there was a return after /subkeyreg  because HKEY_LOCAL... was on a

separate line and, again, the system said that return was not recognized

because HKEY_LOCAL... should follow /subkeyreg with just a space between

'em.  It's just one of those learn-as-you-go things and I'm glad that the

system allowed one to continue with the right info.  It was good, working

instructions and for that I'm grateful to you.  I'm glad that I didn't use

your initial instructions since you inserted that erroneous space and I

didn't know that the system would forgive it but then I would have probably

been stuck as to what to do next.  So when I read instructions on a forum,

I always read the following replies to see if they were successful and I'm

glad I did it on the Adobe forum as it paid off.  I read instructions where

one is asked to access the registry and the first thing they warn is to

backup whatever.  That sort of frightens me and even though the

instructions may be correct I prefer not to mess with the computer's brain.

Thanks for writing, I appreciate it.

Cordially,

Edward Lopez

NYC

From: Ankit_Jain <forums@adobe.com>

To: edward lopez <nyceddie@earthlink.net>

Date: 9/21/2010 2:16:07 AM

Subject: Error 1402 - Could not open key

>

Hi Eddie,

As ʇɐb ɹəuəllıʍ rightly pointed out, the characters "i, ii"

weren't a part of the actual command instruction set. Though, your advice

is good one and I will make sure that the next time, I post something

similar, I take care of the same.

Thanks

Ankit

P.S. Glad to know, that it worked for you inspite of the confusion

caused!!!

>

• 26. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key
                                                          pwillener Level 8

Hi Ankit,

I have formatted your useful instructions for easier use; maybe you can copy and paste it the next time you post it:

1. Download Microsoft's SubinACL tool from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe -4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b
                                                          3. Open Command Prompt window through the Run Dialog Box (Start | Run, type cmd and click OK)
                                                          4. In the Command Prompt window, type in or copy/paste the following commands:
                                                            1. cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools" (Hit Enter)
                                                            2. subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents /grant=administrators=f /grant=SYSTEM=f /grant=USERS=f /grant="Creator Owner"=f (Hit Enter)

P.S. when copying/pasting the above, make sure that the forum software does not insert blank characters at some random locations.

Message was edited by: ʇɐb ɹəuəllıʍ

• 27. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key

Great to hear from you too Eddie.. None of the comments were taken otherwise. Constructive advice is always welcome..

Thanks for the advice once again..

Ankit

• 28. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key

Thanks a bunch!! Would come handy for sure..

• 29. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key
                                                                NYCEddie Level 1

Hi Ankit: ʇɐb ɹəuəllıʍ wants to help make the instructions simpler

but I don't agree with the path he outlines.  I have partially typed the

steps as they occurred for me with the exception where I ask you to enter

the missing info as I didn't want to go through the procedure just to see

what happens after entering Run on the "File Download..." popup.

Your acceptance will be appreciated but don't feel you have to accept.

Cordially,

Edward Lopez

NYC

My logically modified instructions:

1. Go to:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a

91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en

2. Click on the Download button on the line that says: File Name:

subinacl.msi  Size: 371KB

3. In the popup named "File Download - Security Warning", click on Run.

(Ankit: I don't remember what happens after you click on Run, please supply

instructions.)

4. On the Task Bar click on start, click on Run, in the box type cmd, and

click OK.

5. A Command Prompt window will open.  Type in or copy/paste the following:

cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"

(Hit Enter)

6. Type in or copy/paste the following (with a space between /subkeyreg?

and HKEY_LOCAL...): subinacl?  /subkeyreg?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalCom

ponents?  /grant=administrators=f /grant=SYSTEM=f /grant=USERS=f

/grant="Creator?  Owner"=f

(Hit Enter)

From: Ankit_Jain <forums@adobe.com>

To: edward lopez <nyceddie@earthlink.net>

Date: 9/22/2010 6:48:02 AM

>

Great to hear from you too Eddie.. None of the comments were taken

otherwise. Constructive advice is always welcome..

Thanks for the advice once again..

Ankit

>

• 31. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key
                                                                  Vinay28 Level 1

Hi Ankit

The tool SubInACL is not for Windows Vista. What do I do?

Vinay28

• 32. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key
                                                                    pwillener Level 8

SubInACL runs fine on Vista, but you have to start the Command Prompt 'as Administrator'; see http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2006/09/04/739820.aspx

• 33. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key
                                                                      Vinay28 Level 1

Many thanks. I did as per the instructions in the link provided by you. I am pasting below the complete log file. As you can see, there was only one failure under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]

Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>notepad reset.cmd

C:\Windows\system32>reset.cmd

C:\Windows\system32>cd /d "C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"

C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools>subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_US

ER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=restricted=r /grant=Vinay=f /s

etowner=administrators  1>C:\Users\Vinay\AppData\Local\Temp\subinacl_output.txt

Elapsed Time: 00 00:01:03

Done:    25988, Modified    25988, Failed        0, Syntax errors        0

Last Done  : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Volatile Environment\1

C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools>subinacl /keyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER

/grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=restricted=r /grant=Vinay=f /seto

wner=administrators  1>>C:\Users\Vinay\AppData\Local\Temp\subinacl_output.txt

Elapsed Time: 00 00:00:00

Done:        1, Modified        1, Failed        0, Syntax errors        0

Last Done  : HKEY_CURRENT_USER

C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools>subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACH

INE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=r /grant=everyone=r /gr

ant=restricted=r /setowner=administrators  1>>C:\Users\Vinay\AppData\Local\Temp\

subinacl_output.txt

Elapsed Time: 00 00:17:12

Done:   384383, Modified   384382, Failed        1, Syntax errors        0

Last Done  : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\{554C3BF9-CF6F

-419D-80B4-C5D2B0CE526E}\Parameters\Tcpip

Last Failed: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Per

flib\009 - RegSetKeySecurity Error : 6 The handle is invalid.

C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools>subinacl /keyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

/grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=r /grant=everyone=r /grant

=restricted=r /setowner=administrators  1>>C:\Users\Vinay\AppData\Local\Temp\sub

inacl_output.txt

Last Done  : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools>subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_RO

OT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=r /setowner=administrato

rs  1>>C:\Users\Vinay\AppData\Local\Temp\subinacl_output.txt

Elapsed Time: 00 00:06:17

Done:  107586, Modified   107586, Failed        0, Syntax errors        0

Last Done  : HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\{2C256447-3F0D-4CBB-9D12-575BB20CDA0A}\ProgID

C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools>subinacl /keyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

/grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=r /setowner=administrators

1>>C:\Users\Vinay\AppData\Local\Temp\subinacl_output.txt

Last Done  : HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools>subinacl /subdirectories C:\Program

Files\ /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=e  1>>C:\Users\Vina

y\AppData\Local\Temp\subinacl_output.txt

Elapsed Time: 00 00:03:42

Done:        0, Modified        0, Failed        0, Syntax errors        0

C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools>subinacl /subdirectories C:\Windows

\ /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=e  1>>C:\Users\Vinay\AppD

ata\Local\Temp\subinacl_output.txt

Elapsed Time: 00 00:07:49

Done:   104248, Modified   104248, Failed        0, Syntax errors        0

Last Done  : C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_xrxscan.inf.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.60

00.16386_en-us_ed393488b2a7196c\xrxscan.inf_loc

C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools>

I am giving below my original post on Adobe.com on Sept. 22, 2010.

For the first time after I start my laptop, whenever I right-click any desktop icon (my computer or recycle bin or folder or a file), I get a notice "starting windows installer" and then "wait while windows configures adobe acrobat 8.1.7". The process ends in an error and hence I always click on cancel button. Then only I can proceed. This does not repeat till I start my laptop again. However, each time I start outlook, this notice appears five times and outlook starts only after I click cancel five times. As advised by Adobe, whenever I try to either uninstall adobe acrobat professional 8.1.7 or repair it. I get the following error message:

"Error 1402. Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\8.0\Installer\IOD. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel." When I click OK, the process seems to reverse and a notice appears that says "fatal error during installation".

I will now try uninstalling Adobe Acrobat Professional and revert with my experience. But before that, I need your confirmation that the failure shown above will not come in the way.

Thanks again

Vinay28

• 34. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key

Hi Vinay,

Can you please edit the contents of the file you just created i.e. reset.cmd to the following:

cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools" (Hit Enter)

subinacl  /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\8.0\Installer\IOD /grant=administrators=f /grant=SYSTEM=f /grant=USERS=f /grant="Creator  Owner"=f

The SubinACL tool is to be used for each registry key, for which you receive the error 1402. Hence, the command needs to include the registry key in question i.e. "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\8.0\Installer\IOD".

Hope, the above works successfully.

Ankit

• 35. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key
                                                                          NYCEddie Level 1

Hi Ankit: The following has nothing to do with the topic of this thread but I still receive messages when someone writes in.  Fortunately, my 1402 problem was solved, thanks to the fine advice I received on this forum.  I'm piping in because I have another, similar, problem and I thought that perhaps you or someone else can provide me with the appropriate source to get advice on how to correct my problem.  If it's okay with you I'll include my problem below and if it violates a forum policy please have it removed.

My problem deals with Google Talk Plugin.  It was a novelty I wanted to try out and so I downloaded the software and tested it by making a few phone calls from my desktop PC.  It was fun dialing from the computer but it was really unnecessary thanks to our Time Warner digital phone service (through our cable modem) so I decided to remove the software.  Frankly, at this late stage I cannot remember what it was I removed in "Add or Remove Programs" in the Control Panel but I still have Google Talk Plugin - Size 11.69MB.  It doesn't show up in "All Programs" but it's there in "Add or Remove Programs" and I can't remove it and hence the reason I'm requesting your help.

Clicking on Remove brings up the popup: Windows Installer which says "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resourc that is unavailable.  Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'googletalkpluginaccel.msi' in the box below.  Use source: (this is in the box: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\Download\{C494D056-DE4C-4054-9C88-F6F44812A53}\

Clicking OK loops to the above Windows Installer popup.  Clicking Cancel bring up the Windows Installer popup with: "Preparing to remove..."  then another popup replaces the Installer popup.  It says: "Add or Remove Programs - The installation source for this product is not available.  Verify that the source exists and that you can access it."

I can live with that unremovable whats-it but I like a clean computer and if it's not doing anything I want it out.  Do you have a solution, or anyone reading this?

• 36. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key
                                                                            Vinay28 Level 1

Sorry, I am not an expert on any issue related to PCs or software. But the important point is, and I realised it after reading many posts on Microsoft and Adobe forums, that, as this industry develops and evolves, millions of users like us are at the mercy of all such softwares, which don't seem to "get along" with each other or with Windows. It's time we had a universal code of conduct. 

Vinay

Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 23:43:37 -0600

From: forums@adobe.com

To: vinayparanjape@hotmail.com

Hi Ankit: The following has nothing to do with the topic of this thread but I still receive messages when someone writes in.  Fortunately, my 1402 problem was solved, thanks to the fine advice I received on this forum.  I'm piping in because I have another, similar, problem and I thought that perhaps you or someone else can provide me with the appropriate source to get advice on how to correct my problem.  If it's okay with you I'll include my problem below and if it violates a forum policy please have it removed.

My problem deals with Google Talk Plugin.  It was a novelty I wanted to try out and so I downloaded the software and tested it by making a few phone calls from my desktop PC.  It was fun dialing from the computer but it was really unnecessary thanks to our Time Warner digital phone service (through our cable modem) so I decided to remove the software.  Frankly, at this late stage I cannot remember what it was I removed in "Add or Remove Programs" in the Control Panel but I still have Google Talk Plugin - Size 11.69MB.  It doesn't show up in "All Programs" but it's there in "Add or Remove Programs" and I can't remove it and hence the reason I'm requesting your help.

Clicking on Remove brings up the popup: Windows Installer which says "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resourc that is unavailable.  Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'googletalkpluginaccel.msi' in the box below.  Use source: (this is in the box: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\Download\{C494D056-DE4C-4054-9C88-F6F44812A53}\

Clicking OK loops to the above Windows Installer popup.  Clicking Cancel bring up the Windows Installer popup with: "Preparing to remove..."  then another popup replaces the Installer popup.  It says: "Add or Remove Programs - The installation source for this product is not available.  Verify that the source exists and that you can access it."

I can live with that unremovable whats-it but I like a clean computer and if it's not doing anything I want it out.  Do you have a solution, or anyone reading this?

>

• 37. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key
                                                                              Vinay28 Level 1

Thank you Ankit. Since I am not an expert, I have a doubt. When you say "edit the contents of the file", do you mean I should replace the entire content of the file with what you have given? Also, I don't see "YOURUSERNAME" in the path, which I had replaced with my name?

What's more, I get a similar error when I try to update MSN Messenger. Do I similarly change the contents to include the key that appears in the error?

Vinay

Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 10:57:44 -0600

From: forums@adobe.com

To: vinayparanjape@hotmail.com

Hi Vinay,

Can you please edit the contents of the file you just created i.e. reset.cmd to the following:

cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools" (Hit Enter)

subinacl  /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\8.0\Installer\IOD /grant=administrators=f /grant=SYSTEM=f /grant=USERS=f /grant="Creator  Owner"=f

The SubinACL tool is to be used for each registry key, for which you receive the error 1402. Hence, the command needs to include the registry key in question i.e. "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\8.0\Installer\IOD".

Hope, the above works successfully.

Ankit

>

• 38. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key
                                                                                Vinay28 Level 1

Hi Ankit

Can you or anyone else also comment on error 6 that appeared for one failure when I ran it yesterday?

Vinay28

• 39. Re: Error 1402 - Could not open key

Hi Vinay,

Yes, you need to replace the contents of the original reset.cmd with the commands as in my previous post. Also, there is no need to provide the extra piece of command that you had originally provided, as that is solely to redirect the output to another file, which is not required in this case.

I am sure, about how MSN installer or likewise work, but I guess the same suggestion can work there as well if the error is the same.

Hope this solves your issue.

Regards

Ankit

1 2 Previous Next