3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2010 7:13 PM by able123

nasty line artifacts on panning

getho Level 1

2 issues here.

1st panning footage from my 7d has line arrtifacts on panning - an issue that looked like a graphcs card redraw issue (which seems to be the case because they are not present on my laptop).  its hard to describe, but looks like horizontal lines that roll from the top of the picture to the bottom.

http://guysaddleton.com.au/dowlest33_2010/index.htm (about 56 seconds in) (dont look too hard at the production quality please!)

Does anyone else see them?

2nd issue is the horrible look of 25p panning - even slow pans are awfull.  Shooting "25p" 16mm was never that bad!  Is there something in premiere that can help?  Should I shoot 30p NTSC? Instead of 25p PAL?

• 1. Re: nasty line artifacts on panning
          Level 4

Hi,

---------------

Does anyone else see them

-------------

yes.

I'm not familiar with your camera but if I were you I think I would do some short "tests" with the various video options you have ( like that ntsc 30fps etc).  I think you would need to provide some info about your computer, graphics card etc for anyone to help you figure out if there is anything underpowered about it... re: your editing in general , exports etc

• 2. Re: nasty line artifacts on panning
            getho Level 1

ho hum.

The weird thing is that now I've updated my grpahics card drivers I'm not seeing them. (I'm now seing a new artifact - a square in the centre of the video that appears to be a few frames behind the rest of it.  This is just in the export not in the original footage played in QT).

COmputer:

Asus p6td deuxe

intel i920

12gb super duper ram

Asus nvdia gtx 275 (most recent driver)

ssd>boot

WD raptor>cache

Raid 10>storage (4x7200rpm 2tb drives)

Yes, I will try NTSC 30p

I wonder if the field options might have something to do with it (not even sure if this is relevant with "p" footage

• 3. Re: nasty line artifacts on panning
              Level 4

Hi,

-------------

now I've updated my grpahics card drivers I'm not seeing them. (I'm now  seing a new artifact - a square in the centre of the video that appears  to be a few frames behind the rest of it.  This is just in the export  not in the original footage played in QT).

-----------------

Well, some headway at least...one down, one to go....

The progressive footage project should have no fields...that is for interlaced only.  Are you putting your footage into cs5 to let the program create the project for you...and then duplicating those settings ( in terms of frame rate and progressive etc. ? ) on your export ?