8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2010 12:30 PM by the_wine_snob

Need tips on creating a movie and slideshow to show with a projector

day by day

I'm putting together videos and a photo slideshow for a reunion. I'll be using photos of various sizes and quality. The projector will be rented, so I can't practice with it, but I got the info on it: 3 LCD, 1100 lumens, 1024x768 native resolution, 4:3 aspect ratio, throw distance 5' to 50'. The audience will be about 100 people.

I have created several movies with slideshows which have been burned to DVD for viewing on a TV, but I've never done any for projection on a screen using my laptop. It is my understanding that reducing photos to a video resolution reduces the quality because no matter what the resolution of the digital photo, the video output is going to be 720x480. Since the quality of the old 126 and 110 film photos are not very good to start with, I was wondering if they would look better if I could show them using Adobe Photoshop Elements' slideshow feature on my laptop and then switch to showing a Premiere file for the movie?

I've learned from my movie slideshow mistakes when the TV chopped off heads (outside the safe margin). I'm sure there are some pitfalls when using a projector, but I don't know what they are. Could those with projector experience give me some pointers? Thanks so much.

• 1. Re: Need tips on creating a movie and slideshow to show with a projector
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What will be the feed to the projector - DVD player, BD player, laptop, other?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Need tips on creating a movie and slideshow to show with a projector
            day by day Level 1

They said the projector has to be run from a laptop computer which, of course, could play a DVD disc. I don't know what kind of connections it has. I have an S-Video cable and a monitor cable, but I better check on the audio connection. I'm not sure of the best way to hook up to the projector. Do I need to resize my photos to the 4:3 ratio, or show them as they are? Thanks for any suggestions.

• 3. Re: Need tips on creating a movie and slideshow to show with a projector
              the_wine_snob Level 9

If this projector is going to run from a laptop, you do not have to go with DVD, which, as you point out, will be 720 x 480. However, much will depend now, on what your Video source material is. You will want to create the New Project to match that. Then, with your stills, you can Scale those to that Project Preset, before Import.

When done editing, you can Export/Share to an AV format, that the Projector can use. You would basically launch the AV file in say WMP, and feed that from the Video Out to the projector. A format, like WMV should work well. The smoothness of the playback will depend on the I/O of the laptop. With the WMV, you can choose a Frame size that matches the Projector.

Let's say that you have 720p material, then that would be the Project Preset, and the stills would be scaled to approximately that Frame Size. Doing that Scaling in PSE will be much better than letting PrE do it for you. I would have those images scanned at a high resolution, and then look at some of the Scaling algorithms in PSE. I do not know the possible options for Interpolation in PSE, but in PS, I normally go with Bicubic Smoother, however you might find that Bicubic Sharper is better. Only your eyes can tell. Also, if you need to Scale UP from your scans, you can use Stair-stepping to do this, basically doing several Scale operations (Resample checked) at 10% + 10%, etc., until you have Scaled to the necessary size.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Need tips on creating a movie and slideshow to show with a projector
                the_wine_snob Level 9

For a little more detail on Stair Stepping (and recs. for using a program, like IrfanView with different interpolation algorithms) see this older ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Need tips on creating a movie and slideshow to show with a projector
                  day by day Level 1

Hunt, I'm sorry I keep leaving out important information. My source video will be old VHS tapes playing on a high quality VCR and run through my digital camcorder (using S-video cable & audio cable) to my computer via firewire and captured using PE. I barely know what I'm doing, so re-direct me if my thinking is wrong. Is Frame size the same as aspect ratio? In my case the projector's native resolution of 1024x768 is 4:3. Even though VHS resolution is 352x480, I've read that a 720x480 capture looks better for DVD/TV playback, but that is 3:2. The only thing I've ever used in PE are the standard and wide screen presets. Do I need to create custom settings or just go with the standard preset?

I follow you about doing the still scaling in PsE rather than PE before importing into the PE project (I've done that before), but I was wondering if I needn't do any scaling and instead of importing into the PE project, just run PsE's slideshow on my laptop with the output to the projector. Would that work?

I've only got today and tomorrow to finish this, so I've got to get going on the capturing. What settings would you recommend for the movie I create from the VHS tapes?

Thank you so much for your help.

• 6. Re: Need tips on creating a movie and slideshow to show with a projector
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

With the VHS source footage, SD (720x480, for NTSC) will be as good as you can get. With that Video footage, I would do a DV Project.

This ARTICLE will give you some tips on Analog to Digital, but sounds like you have that covered, with your miniDV camera on pass-through.

Now, one possibility might be to up-rez that SD material, and use it in an HD Project, to the specs. of the projector. However, this might need some heavy research. Not sure of several things: will PrE work with this program; will it allow one to match that 720p of the projector, etc.? Red Giant has a program/plug-in, Magic Bullet InstantHD. I just do not know those answers.

For me, I'd look at just doing a DV Project and Scaling my stills to that. Obviously, the resolution will be below the max for the projector.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Need tips on creating a movie and slideshow to show with a projector
                      day by day Level 1

Hunt, Thank you; that makes it easy since I've done that before. I just wasn't sure if the projector showing would change anything. I'm to the point now of just git 'er done! You have given me good, reasonable advice which is so appreciated.

• 8. Re: Need tips on creating a movie and slideshow to show with a projector
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck with the Project.

Unfortunately, you are throwing away a bit of the potential of the projector, as it is designed around feeding the desktop of a laptop to a screen, and you will have a DV Project. However, Scaling up that SD material will not yield great results, unless a program, like InstantHD is used, and then there still those nagging questions.

In all of my experiences, the DV Project looks pretty good on a Projection screen, and usually looks as good as a PowerPoint presentation on similar, if not a little better.

Let us know of your success,

Hunt