8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2010 10:24 AM by Harm Millaard

Switching Sides - A few questions about this build

JordanBerry

Well, here I am... A Final Cut Pro user building a new box for Premier CS5. Would you believe it? I'm mostly working with AVCHD / H.264 hopefully natively depending on how the system performs. Mostly just editing in Premier and converting to MPEG, and H.264 for the web and blu ray.

Here is build that I have came up with. I love the case, it looks huge.

Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R

Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz

Mushkin Enhanced Redline 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB

CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-650HX 650W ATX12V v2.2

I have a few questions if you guys don't mind:

1) The RAM i listed is speed 6. But it's only 6gb. I could spend more and get 12GB but it would be much slower (speed 9). I'm really only using premier, encoder, and encore. Little if no AE, etc. Will the performance gain be worth it to invest in slower 12GB ram?

2) Any experience with the Matrox card? Everything I make gets exported to blu ray and some of it online (h.264). Seems like the $500 would be well spent.

3) What is the cheapest version of Windows 7 that has the features someone like me would need?

4) Is the PSU enough @ 650w? I plan on it powering 6+ HDDs.

I greatly apprechiate any help! Thank you so much!

• 1. Re: Switching Sides - A few questions about this build
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 includes a link to what I built

According to other messages, 12Gig gives about a 30% performance boost over 6Gig

Win7 64bit Pro is what I have, and what I would use again if I was building

What Matrox card?

The GTX 470 is the current "sort'a budget" card, with the Hack http://forums.adobe.com/thread/629557?tstart=0

A 650w power supply is not enough... get 850w as a minimum... not only for the drives, but the GTX 470 uses a LOT of power... for you, 1000w may be better for that many drives (plus, of course, your burner)

Get any optional case fans for your model... I do not overclock, and I bought an after market CPU cooler to replace the stock Intel model, as well as two 120mm case fans to blow directly on the CPU cooler and GTX 285

Buy http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm and use it to make full boot drive image backups after every step of your build, when you are sure everything is working well, so you may easily restore to a known good state if you install some piece of software and it screws up your system

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Switching Sides - A few questions about this build
            Harm Millaard Level 7

1. Get two sets of 3 x 2 GB, making for 12 GB total.

2. A complete waste of money. Matrox cards are great as a doorstop, not much else.

3. At least Home Premium, but better Pro.

4. Go to eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Pro v2.5 and get the Pro version. Set CPU load to 100% and capacitor aging to 30% and add 10 - 15% for safety. Do not forget to add a BR burner, fans, USB devices etc.

Read about the impact of memory on system performance on the Background Information page here: PPBM5 Benchmark

For other articles of possibler interest, click the Overview tab at the top of the Hardware forum and go to the drop down box.

• 3. Re: Switching Sides - A few questions about this build
              Powered by Design Level 4

Coolermaster HAF X is a nice case too

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225&cm_re=haf_x-_-11-119-225-_ -Product

I like the new Corsair 1200w power supply.

With that graphics card and 6 or more drives.

It seems like were always adding drives with files getting bigger and bigger.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139014&cm_re=1200w_power_supply-_ -17-139-014-_-Product

That motherboard doesnt have the highest scores on the PPBM5 site

There are a few people using it.

http://ppbm5.com/Benchmark5.html

GLenn

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Switching Sides - A few questions about this build
                JordanBerry Level 1

John, Harm, and Powered by Design - Thank you very much!

1) I didn't realize you could do two sets of 6GB tripple channel ram and get 12GB. I will defintely go that route. Thank you John and Harm for that suggestion.

2) Harm, are the benchmarks unrealistic or is this thing just pleagued with problems?

3) Thank you, I'll get Pro.

4) I did as Harm said and got 867 watts. +3.3 = 10.8, +5 = 22.3, +12 = 60.0 Which means I'll be getting a 1000 watt PSU.

I realize this motherboard isn't the best but I think it's good enough. I like the case you posted Powered by Design, I might have to check that out.

Now as far as drives go. I currently own 4x 1TB 7,200rpm 32mb cache and 2x 1.5TB 7,200rpm 64mb cache drives. With those options and not much more for budget what woud you suggest for a OS / Project drive solution? I could get either a SSD or 10k drive for the OS and raid 0 2x of the 1TB drives for working on. Or purchase 2x 10k drives for raid 0.

• 5. Re: Switching Sides - A few questions about this build
                  JordanBerry Level 1

I was looking at the numbers for the Amperage on the 1000w PSU vs what the program told me I need and I do see a problem. The +12V needs 60A and the 1000W PSU only gives 40. But the 1200W PSU gives 100A. So I guess I'll go with the 1200W PSU then.

• 6. Re: Switching Sides - A few questions about this build
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

2) Harm, are the benchmarks unrealistic or is this thing just pleagued with problems?

What do you mean? I would like to hear your remarks, since Bill and I put in a lot of time and effort to make this a reliable benchmark that you can all profit from. Not only did we use the input from a relatively large number of beta testers, but we also had extensive feedback from a number of Adobe engineers on the CS5 team, so we do believe the results are reliable and can be explained accurately. The difficulty is that there is a lot of interaction between components that is not always easy to discern and to the casual observer it may sometimes look strange.

As to QA issues, Bill and I always check the results, if one of us is in doubt about results, we confer and withhold publication till we are sure that the results are accurate. As you can see, there are three results where the reported figures were not believable to us, so we estimated them while awaiting further test results.

Re: Your PSU.

In one of my earliest articles I told about my near miss with a Zalmann PSU that did not have sufficient amperage on one of the rails. That is why I always emphasize to use the Pro version of the calculator. It can protect you from costly and inadequate choices. Luckily you have seen it yourself here. Well done.

• 7. Re: Switching Sides - A few questions about this build
                      JordanBerry Level 1

I'm sorry Harm, I don't think I explained my self well enough. When you said the Matrox card was trash I concluded that either a) the performance you will realisticly get out of it isn't what the benchmarks states or b) there are so many problems with the card that it isn't worth the purchase / effort. Because the benchmarks look amazing! I wasn't refering to the PPBM5 Bechmarks that you're involved with.

• 8. Re: Switching Sides - A few questions about this build
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Sorry, when talking about Matrox, I think there are way too many problems with drivers causing instability, slowing down and weird problems to justify the price. BM (Black Magic) has a better reputation, but the need for third party cards is lessening with the huge performance gains of CS5.