14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2010 6:07 PM by the_wine_snob

Curious about capture preview

glashoppah Level 1

Just received and installed my new 8-core Mac Pro and was excited about running Premiere Pro CS5 on it.  I have a Canon HV20 with a number of tapes full of HD video, and I monkeyed around with the HV20 with Premiere Elements on my last computer (a PC running XP) so I was anxious to see what I could do with the Mac and looking forward to creating some discs out of the footage that's been languishing in a drawer.

My very first task was to capture some video and I was surprised to see that during the capture, there was no on-screen preview.  Apparently I'm supposed to peer at the tiny LCD and try to use it for my clip caps.  I was really surprised and figured I'd missed a setting somewhere, and then I found this link:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WS1c9bc5c2e465a58a91cf0b1038518aef7-7faaa .html

which in italics states that the Mac OS is apparently incapable of providing this function.  So I'm curious - why not?  It worked in Elements on my 7-year-old PC.  What's the deal?

Thanks in advance for the info,

G.

• 1. Re: Curious about capture preview
          the_wine_snob Level 9

G,

With HD Capture, you will not have preview unfortunately. Capture Preview is only available for SD material.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Curious about capture preview
            glashoppah Level 1

I understand that I cannot do it - the link I included with my post says so - but I could on my lame old PC with Premiere Elements.  What I wanted to know was why it can't be done on a Mac.

G.

• 3. Re: Curious about capture preview
              the_wine_snob Level 9

With PrPro and HD Capture, it's not a platform issue.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Curious about capture preview
                glashoppah Level 1

But it is a platform issue, and that's the whole reason for my curiosity.  From the link I posted,

"Note: Preview HDV footage on an external TV monitor, or, if the source is a camcorder, on the camcorder viewfinder while shuttling, logging, and capturing on Mac OS. The preview pane in the Capture panel shows the words Previewing On Camera."

As I already stated, when I did capture on my Windows machine using HDV, the same camera and Premiere Elements, and was able to preview on-screen.

A second thing that I'm curious about:  why the heck does capture stop every time Premiere loses focus?  I can't even check an email while it's capturing because it instantly halts once it's not the focused window.  This behavior is particularly annoying.

G.

• 5. Re: Curious about capture preview
                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

CS5 allows preview of HDV capture on Windows.

-Jeff

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Curious about capture preview
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

Thank you for that correction.

@G,

Ignore my ignorant ramblings, as CS5 has obviously changed the show. Now, why you are not getting that display on the Mac, is the issue. Sorry for my mistake.

Good  luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Curious about capture preview
                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Jeff Bellune wrote:

CS5 allows preview of HDV capture on Windows.

-Jeff

For Windows one has preview only on Play but not on Capture.

On Capture the blue screen of Playing On Video Hardware appears.

• 8. Re: Curious about capture preview
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Ann,

That was my thinking too, but then I never challenge Jeff!

Hunt

• 9. Re: Curious about capture preview
                          glashoppah Level 1

Oh well, no problem.  I'm relatively certain I had preview on cap in Elements on Windows.  But it's been a few months.

Anyway, how 'bout my second question:

"A second thing that I'm curious about:  why the heck does capture stop every time Premiere loses focus?  I can't even check an email while it's capturing because it instantly halts once it's not the focused window.  This behavior is particularly annoying."

Any way to modify this behavior?  I'd like to be able to do more than one thing at a time with my computer.

G.

• 10. Re: Curious about capture preview
                            SFL46 Level 3

Its not smart to allow any other program to run while you are doing capture.  Capture is an asynchronous operation--the camera sends data whether or not the computer is ready to receive it.  There is a great deal of processing that goes on in the background.  If you steal processor cycles doing something else, Premiere may see dropped frames and stop the capture.  If these dropped frames dont bother you, there is a preference setting that will tell Premiere to ignore the dropped frames.

• 11. Re: Curious about capture preview
                              glashoppah Level 1

I've been watching my CPU meter and it's basically not even registering any activity.  I can understand a default behavior, but I should be able to at least try it.  But the capture stops _instantly_ when I click on anything else.  No frame drops indicated.  Is there a setting to tell Capture to keep running no matter what I'm doing?  If I see excessive frame drop, I'll go back to dedicated mode.

G.

• 12. Re: Curious about capture preview
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry, I had missed that second question - got lost with HD Capture Preview...

PrPro has always been designed to stop (Playback, Capture, etc.) when it looses focus. Many have filed Feature Requests to have that changed. Historically, Render and Export were about the only functions that did not quit, when focus was shifted.

I cannot tell you the coding reason for that loss of process when focus was shifted, but think that it was introduced with PrPro 1.0, when Adobe rewrote the program, and changed the entire playback engine. Maybe Todd, or Jeremy can comment on that. For me it's a case of "that's the way it is," and that is not much of an answer.

One of the places that that stoppage really gets in the way is if one is using PrPro as a monitor, to record narration in another program, and they need to ride gain, etc. Probably other instances, as well.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Curious about capture preview
                                  glashoppah Level 1

What a shame.  I spent big bucks on my new multicore computer, it's practically idle, and I can't even read an email while it's capturing.  Hello, Adobe?

G.

• 14. Re: Curious about capture preview
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

G,

That can be a problem. Now, most around this forum will tell you that they ONLY do NLE work on their computer, and use another machine for other work.

I rather mix my laptop, but obviously not while doing a Capture, or recording. Still, when I am doing any half-way serious editing on the laptop, I shut down almost everything else.

Video editing is very stressful on a computer, and I feel that the less going on, the better. It will diminish the concept of "multi-tasking." I cheat, and go down to the lower patio and the laptop.

Good luck,

Hunt