14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2010 6:51 PM by Steve Grisetti

Premiere Elements 8 video looks bad when editing

BoiseCalvin

Hi -

I'm brand new to Premiere Elements 8 - in fact just installed it on an HP/Compaq 6530b laptop running Windows Vista (32 bit).  Initially, I tried to edit a Flip video (MPG4) and also a Flip video that I converted to AVI.  I also have a new Canon Vixia HF M31; regardless of what video I use, the video editing window looks horrible.  There's a "double image" - the one on top is heavy green and there's another "double image" of the video below it that looks better but is below the green-shaded video (see inserted image below).  I'm wondering if it's an issue with the laptop, especially since multiple video formats have the same problem.  Where do I begin to resolve this?

NOTE: I've taken this same video and it looks fine with Windows Movie Maker (at least the MPG4 - haven't tried the Vixia .MTS video yet as I'm guessing it won't work with Movie Maker).

Thanks,

Calvin
      Premiere.jpg

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8 video looks bad when editing
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Please see the links in this THREAD. For most, this is caused by an obsolete video driver.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8 video looks bad when editing
            nealeh Level 5

If not the video driver check your QuickTime version (v7.6.7 at time of writing). If it's out of date, update it.

Even if you have no intention of using QuickTime as a player, PRE depends on it for many things and it must be installed.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8 video looks bad when editing
              BoiseCalvin Level 1

I updated to the latest version of QuickTime and noticed something I didn't see before.  When I drag a clip to the timeline, it asks me if I want "SmartFix" to "Fix Quality Problems in Clips".  If I say yes, the clip looks a lot better - if I say no, I get the green hue in the video (though the secondary video behind the green is now gone".  I haven't been able to look at drivers yet but wondering why SmartFix is resolving the green hue - I'm not sure this would be either QT or a driver.

Note: I don't think I said "yes" to this SmartFix question in the past.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 8 video looks bad when editing
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There is the larger issue that you're using video from a Flip cam -- which Premiere Elements is generally not compatible with.

You'll find more information, as well as recommendations for converting the file, in the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/437535?tstart=0

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 8 video looks bad when editing
                  BoiseCalvin Level 1

I'll take a look but as I said, the issue isn't just flip video.  I have an AVI video that has the same issue as well as video from my new Vixia M31.  I originally thought it was my Flip format but I'm seeing the same thing with Flip, AVI, and .mts format from the Vixia.

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 8 video looks bad when editing
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>AVI video

AVI is only a naming convention... what is INSIDE that file is what is important

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0

What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811?tstart=0

What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 8 video looks bad when editing
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are getting the same results with mixed AV files, then do look at the video driver, as it would certainly be a common element to all sources.

Note: an AVI file can be all sorts of "stuff," and that file extension is virtually meaningless. This ARTICLE will give you some background.

Good luck, and I hope that a driver upgrade will handle everything in your display.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 8 video looks bad when editing
                        BoiseCalvin Level 1

Hey Guys -

I've looked at my graphic drivers for my notebook and I have the latest - the problem still exists.  A few of the responses pointed at the FLIP video (and also AVI).  I want to be clear - I'm having the problem with FLIP MP4, AVI, and MTS (from my Canon Vixia).  I've tried to directly import the videos from the Vixia, not using the included Canon software and after using the Canon software.  Doesn't seem to matter - I still have my teal overlay with what looks like a good video window behind it.

Any other thoughts?

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 8 video looks bad when editing

Have you considered converting this video to more traditional DV-AVIs, per the FAQs to the right of this forum?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/437535?tstart=0

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 8 video looks bad when editing
                            BoiseCalvin Level 1

Hiya Steve - for the Flip video, I had converted it to AVI with the same results.  I used freeware from Pazera (MP4 to AVI Converter 1.3).  The results were the same - same teal overlay.

BUT - I just downloaded a trial version of PE8 on to another desktop I have, loaded those same Vixia videos that have an issue on my Vista (32-bit Enterprise Vista) and they issue is gone.  I haven't looked at my Flip videos but I'm sure they will be fine too.I think I'm smelling a laptop issue.  Where can I find if my graphics chipset are supported?  According to Device Manager, my laptop uses Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset for the display adapter.  What other components should I consider?

I'm kind of stuck - the laptop is from my employeer and they are very inflexible over what I can use (one choice) and my laptop is only a few months old.  I'm starting to think I won't be able to use it for video editing.

Further thoughts?

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 8 video looks bad when editing
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Ah, the dreaded embedded Intel graphics chipset. I was just about to ask if you had Intel. They make great chips, but their driver support is almost non-existent. Does your laptop mfgr. have a newer video driver?

When one has an Intel graphics chip on a desktop, I always recommend that they disable that embedded chip and add an ATI, or nVidia card. Unfortunately, that is not possible with most laptops. One is stuck with the video chip, that is installed.

Now, going back many years, I had a Toshiba laptop, and it had an nVidia chip. Sounds good, right? Well, it was set up to ONLY work with Toshiba nVidia drivers, and Toshiba never issued any - checked the other day, though that machine has been retired for 4 years, and Toshiba has still not issued a new driver. One reason that I would never buy a Toshiba (or many other laptops) again - proprietary drivers. I used this SITE to customize nVidia drivers, to work with my Toshiba. All worked well, and I could update my proprietary Toshiba drivers, just like they had issued one. I do not know if that site will customize drivers for Intel though. I have zero experience trying to do so.

Problems with video (and audio) drivers and an editing program, is that the program interfaces and uses the driver, more than almost any other program. Things as simple as OS updates and hot-fixes, can render a driver obsolete immediately, so one needs to be able to update their drivers, constantly.

Good luck, and wish that I had an instant fix for you,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 8 video looks bad when editing
                                BoiseCalvin Level 1

Thanks Bill and everyone else.  I appreciate all of your thoughtful responses.

I've tried PE8 on my personal desktop PC (though its only a trial b/c my corporation has a license for PE8 but only for PC managed on our network) and things look much better, other than that annoying "Trial version" banner inserted on my videos.

I've render some video of my daughter playing volleyball as a PC-based media file and I'm pretty surprised at all the presets available and how using one of the various MPEG2 or NTCS presets makes a huge difference in the quality of the video.  Where can I read more about this?  What I do notice is the MPEG2 video looks very clear but is choppy when the camera is moving while the NTSC that I used is a bit pixilated but the video is not choppy when the camera is moving.

In the end, I'm trying to decide if PE8 is for me - this is my first HD camcorder and in the past I was happy with Pinnacle (way back on Version 10); I've heard that really it's down to PE8 or Sony Vegas.  I'll keep doing research and I think there's a trial download of Vegas but I always appreciate the advice of experts.

Thanks again!

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 8 video looks bad when editing

Have a look at my Basic Training with Premiere Elements tutorials at Premiere Elements support site http://Muvipix.com. It should give you a feel for how to use presets and what they mean as well as give you an idea how the program works.

If you want more information about the program, you can check out my books -- based on my 6 years as host on this forum -- avaialable on Amazon.com and at the Muvipix store, or join the Muvipix community, which is free!

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 8 video looks bad when editing
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    Where can I read more about this?

Our hardworking MOD is a noted author. He's done several books on PrE (and some other programs, as well), and they are available from Amazon, or through Muvipix. Steve covers every aspect of PrE, and in great detail. I cannot recommend them too highly.

Happy editing,

Hunt

PS - when you do upgrade from trial to full-paid, see this FAQ Entry for instructions on the watermark.