3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2010 10:16 PM by Jim_Simon

Looking for the right preset

MikieZZ

Greetings -

I just recently purchased CS5 Production Premium and I want to use Premiere to create slideshows with still camera shots.

My source is RAW images (.NEF). I process them in Lightroom 3 and I export them in .Tif or .Psd formats ranging in size from 1920x1080 to 4288x2412 for use in Premiere.

The goal is to produce mpeg2 files that can be played on a Western Digital TV Live HD Media Player on rather large HD 1080p TVs (52” – 55”). The mpeg2 files that I have produced with other programs are either 24 or 29.97 frames per second with data rates of 30mbps and appear very good on the equipment described above.

I do a lot of zoom and pans and add sound to these slideshows.

I am looking to produce the slideshows with the highest clarity and smoothness possible.

The question I have is: What Premiere sequence preset is the best choice for this kind of application?

Any thoughts, suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Looking for the right preset
          the_wine_snob Level 9

If your device will handle 1080p, I'd use that Preset, and Scale the stills to match, or include enough "extra" pixels to allow for Pans on a Zoomed out image.

Now, if you add Video, you would want to match to that, and then Scale your stills to fit, but with stills only, you would just set things up to match your display/delivery device.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - the more Scaling that you can do in Photoshop, the higher the quality will be. I hear that PrPro CS5 has gotten better, but have not had a chance to test that. In previous versions, it was pretty obvious if the Scaling was done in PS, or PrPro. Maybe things HAVE changed with CS5.

• 2. Re: Looking for the right preset
            MikieZZ Level 1

Thanks for the fast response.

The WD will handle 1920x1080p which matches my HD TVs.

Looking at the choices presented for presets I see that the following have 1920x1080p settings:

• AVCHD
            • Canon XF Mpeg2
            • Digital SLR
            • Red R3D
            • XDCam EX
            • XDCam HD422

In respect to video is there one of the above that is more suited for stills?

Thank you Bill for all of your help.

• 3. Re: Looking for the right preset
              Jim_Simon Level 8

If you're not adding any actual video, any one of them should work fine.