6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2010 5:41 PM by martinedit

Will CS4 open a CS5 project file?

martinedit Level 1

Probably a silly question, but we have a number of CS4 editing stations.  Rather than upgrade them all now, we were considering buying 1 CS5 system.

Will CS4 on XP 32 bit open a CS5 PPro project file from Windows 7?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Will CS4 open a CS5 project file?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I very much doubt it. There has never been backward compatibility, though I have opened Encore CS3 Projects in EncoreDVD 2.0, but think that is an anomaly. I'd strongly suggest that one finish a CS4 Project in CS4.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Will CS4 open a CS5 project file?
            Colin Brougham Level 6

You can, at least in my experience. However, I wouldn't want to rely on this in any real production setting. There are a number of features and editing modes that were added in CS5 that are not available in CS4, so you run the risk of damaging your project file. If you try this, it would be wise to work on a copy of the CS5 project file, instead of the original--one save in CS4 could render your project file busted, preventing it from reopening in either version of Premiere. Granted, this is worst case, but losing an edit would be pretty bad.

You might also explore the AAF Export/Import functionality of Premiere. From CS5, go to Project > Export Project as AAF, and then open the resulting AAF in CS4. However, as long as you duplicate your original CS5 project before opening it in CS4, I would suggest attempting that route. That all said, bouncing a single project file between two different application versions is razor's edge--a Premiere Pro project file is not like a PSD, for instance.

I take no responsibility for borked project files and lost hours of sleep if you attempt this. You're on your own

• 3. Re: Will CS4 open a CS5 project file?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

Interesting thoughts there. Heck, Jeff busted me already today (not even 10:30AM here) for missing another CS5 answer. Hope I am wrong here too.

Good advice to always try something like this with a Copy of the PRPROJ file - just in case. Just based on the number of requests, if there IS backward compatibility, many will dance in the streets.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Will CS4 open a CS5 project file?
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you do not have a any fancy effects the answer is yes.

I had a CS5 project filled with vob's and it opened in CS4 without a glitch.

• 5. Re: Will CS4 open a CS5 project file?
                  martinedit Level 1

Great thank you thank you for all of your replies and insight.  We will be trying this later this week and will post feedback on how it works out.  I have heard through multiple sources that if the project is "flatbed style editing", no fancy cuts, filters, etc, it should transfer no problem.

Thanks again for all of your help everyone and we will post our feedback once we try it!

Martin

• 6. Re: Will CS4 open a CS5 project file?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Martin,

The fewer Effects, Transitions, and "bells-n-whistles" you have, the more likely things will translate.

Please do report back, as I would love to change my canned response from "no," to "possibly."

Good luck,

Hunt