9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2010 11:11 AM by the_wine_snob

Can i convert 1080i to something for youtube

dcash1

I have a capture card that only wants to work in 1920X1080i 50hz can I convert this to something that will work on youtube and keep good resolution?

I have PE8.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Can i convert 1080i to something for youtube
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Video captured with capture cards generally doesn't work well with Premiere Elements. You don't say what format it's being saved as (MPEG, MP4, MOV), so it's hard to make specific recommendations.

But if all you want to do is convert the video, do some minor editing and post it to YouTube, I'd recommend you spend $29 and get Quicktime Pro from Apple.com. Quicktime Pro is a video processor, convertor and even a bit of editor that can work with most MP4 and MOV formats. You can use it to convert your video to an MP4.

Or, of course, if your capture card is capturing it in MP4 format, you can just post that.

Although a smarter move would be to just not use the capture card at all. They're generally obsolete technology, and the video they capture is often of such limited compatibility that it's more trouble than it's worth.

If you'lll tell us what kind of camcorder your original footage is on, we may be able to recommend a better alternative.

• 2. Re: Can i convert 1080i to something for youtube
            dcash1 Level 1

I'm using a black magic intensity pro card in a computer to record video card output from a diffrent computer, so a capture card is the only way that i know of to do this without slowing down the second computer. the output is 1920x1080i 50hz and is compressed into a motion jpeg format. I would like to convert it to something that is compatable with youtube and is a little more compressed (about 24gb/hour in the format) but still has good resolution.

• 3. Re: Can i convert 1080i to something for youtube
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As I said, you can't work with that format of video in most video editors.

But if you'll tell us what kind of camcorder the original footage is on, we may be able to recommend a system for capturing your video in a format you can work with.

• 4. Re: Can i convert 1080i to something for youtube
                dcash1 Level 1

no camcorder no video tape I'm capturing graphics generated real time from a computer program and saving it to a hard disk so the capture can be RGB dsub, DVI, or HDMI. I'm currently using a capture card that accepts HDMI 1920X1080i (50hz). I need to have good resolution and the 1080i gives me that although I would rather have 1080p to make all of this easier.

I'm told that sony vegas will convert 1080i to 1080p but have not tried it.

thanks for the help

• 5. Re: Can i convert 1080i to something for youtube
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I am a bit surprised that the video-capture is being output to 1080i, as the computer is Progressive. However, I have never done what you are, so I might just be missing something. I just wonder why it is going to Interlaced.

Now, PrPro can handle 1080p, and I would guess that at least one level of Vegas can, as well. I just do not know the Sony lineup, or the capabilities.

Good luck, and wish I had something to add, other then my puzzlement.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Can i convert 1080i to something for youtube
                    dcash1 Level 1

the video out from the computer can be what ever (it was a task to get it to output 1080i) but the capture card that states in its specs it will capture 1080p 24/30 does not want to work with P so i'm stuck with 1080i 50hz. but I take it that I will have to upgrade to ppro to convert the 1080i to 1080p?

Thanks

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 16:11:36 -0600

To: dabear3428@hotmail.com

Subject: Can i convert 1080i to something for youtube

I am a bit surprised that the video-capture is being output to 1080i, as the computer is Progressive. However, I have never done what you are, so I might just be missing something. I just wonder why it is going to Interlaced.

Now, PrPro can handle 1080p, and I would guess that at least one level of Vegas can, as well. I just do not know the Sony lineup, or the capabilities.

Good luck, and wish I had something to add, other then my puzzlement.

Hunt

>

• 7. Re: Can i convert 1080i to something for youtube
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Still a puzzle to my simple mind, but then I've never done that. What the forum needs to do is get you the best possible from what you have to work with.

I'd suggest that you look at the trial of PrPro CS5, but there is one big issue - all MPEG is disabled with the trial, and that is most likely what you are working with at that resolution. Won't tell you squat. Sorry about that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Can i convert 1080i to something for youtube
                        dcash1 Level 1

thanks Bill, I'm working on this also from the black magic

end to find out why the card is not working up to spec. thanks for all the help.

• 9. Re: Can i convert 1080i to something for youtube
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck.

In most cases, the folk at Black Magic have been very helpful to others. Unfortunately, I doubt that many here have experience with BM. There are several subscribers on the PrPro forum, who do use the cards, but not sure if any have used them in your workflow.

Good luck, and please update the thread, when you get a response from BM.

Hunt