4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2010 2:08 PM by ksumwalt

File variable

ksumwalt

I am looking to define a temporary variable in an Acrobat Form, which is specific to the file only, but can't find anything.  I am looking for something similar to a Global variable, but not available across documents.  I could create a text field that is hidden and does not print, but I was hoping for something cleaner.  Is there a form level variable?

Regards,

Karl

• 1. Re: File variable
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If you create a document-level JavaScript and declare a variable (outside of a function definition), it will have document-level scope.

var mydocvar = "Jimmy Buffett";

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: File variable
            ksumwalt Level 1

OK, so I have tried the following to declare a variable outside of a function definition in the JavaScript Functions dialog that opens with the  Advanced->Document Processing->Document Javascripts menu option:

Define a name, Karl, and put the declaration in front of the function:

var formVariable = "";

function Karl()

{

var formVariable = "";

}

I have also just put the decloration in, then removed the () generated:

Put var formVariable = "" in for the Script Name, get

function var formVariable = ""()

{

}

Change it to:

var formVariable = ""

or:

var formVariable = "";

And none of this work.  The variable does not seem to be defined when I try to display it with:

app.alert(formVariable, 1, 2);

I am sure I am missing something, so how do I define the variable outside a function?  (Note, the function Karl() would be used to reset the variable, and other things as well, I took the rest out for clarity.

• 3. Re: File variable
              George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The last variable declaration you showed is correct. But note that you initialized the variable to a zero-length string, so your app.alert will not show anything.

How about this:

var formVariable = "Hello";

and then, place the following code in the MouseUp event of a button:

app.alert(formVariable, 2, 1);

and press the button.

Does that work?

BTW, variables declared within a function are local to that function. So to reset the variable, the function would look like:

function Karl() {

formVariable = "";

}

• 4. Re: File variable
                ksumwalt Level 1

It seems there was another error in code, where I put a ; at the end of the closing parenthesis for an if statement:

if (true);

{

};

It didn't work, so I thought the variable was not being saved.  I fixed this just before your last response.

Thank you for the help!

Karl