6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2010 10:43 AM by BSparka

Layout issues

BSparka

Hello,

I was trying to make some updates to my homepage but when I open  my index (homepage)in dreamweaver the layout is completely different  and all over the place, like it is not following the template at all. If  you copy and paste the source code from my site homepage(www.protechelectronics.com) into DW and  compare it to how it looks now on the web, you will see what I mean.

I have not changed any code since the last time that should be a  problem so I really do not know what the issue is..hopefully you can  help!

Thanks

PS. I checked the validation and there seem to be alot of errors such as tables without attributes, etc..Its weird because even if I open a old backup of my homepage (which  doesnt have recent changes made to it) I am getting the same layout  mistakes, such as no top banner (which should come from the  template)..any reason you can think of for this?

• 1. Re: Layout issues
          bemdesign Level 4

When you say it's messed up are you talking about Dreamweaver's Design view? If so, please know that design view should not be taken as accurate in any way - it should be considered a gross aproximation. Only your site viewed in a browser should be considered accurate (and if everythings working on your live site that leaves only Dreamweaver's Design view messing stuff up)

• 2. Re: Layout issues
            BSparka Level 1

No the layout is still messed up (big time) when I preview in the browser. I only mentioned my actual website looking proper since it was uploaded before I was having this problem. Even if I download my homepage from the server and try and open it, I have the same issue.

Hoping someone can please help me!

• 3. Re: Layout issues
              bemdesign Level 4

Well to be of further help we'd need to see your code, preferrably live. And the best way to do this is to upload your files to a server and give us a link.

• 4. Re: Layout issues
                mhollis55 Level 4

OK, in looking at your home page, you have divs with nothing in them (save a background image)

What I notice with Dreamweaver CS3 that, sometimes when you have an empty div, Dreamweaver cannot display things correctly even though Safari and Firefox display everything correctly.

So, instead of:

<div id="banner"></div>

Try 

<div id="banner"> </div>

Another issue I can see is that you have a number of styles that are just numbers instead of descriptions. You should describe your styles

.style11 {font-size: 14px}
                .style12 {color: #01019B}
                .style13 {color: #FFFFFF} (and so on)

would be best described as

.font14 {font-size: 14px;}

.blueText {color: #01019B;}

.whiteText {color: #FFFFFF} (and so on)

• 5. Re: Layout issues
                  MurraySummers Level 8

What I notice with Dreamweaver CS3 that, sometimes when you have an empty div, Dreamweaver cannot display things correctly even though Safari and Firefox display everything correctly.

I don't think this is correct.  But DWCS3 and DWCS4 both had problems displaying float-based layouts.  I'd just reiterate that one should not rely on Design view when working with their layout.  The browsers (or Live view) know best.

• 6. Re: Layout issues
                    BSparka Level 1

Thanks for all the help gentleman.

I ended up just redoing the page and it looks a -ok.

boom protein.