6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2010 9:14 AM by Kasyan Servetsky

Server rename & links (CS5 & 10.6)

jamesv1ncent

Our existing server (Windows 2003) will be decommissioned shortly and replaced with a newer storage server (Windows 2008). From past experience I know this will wreak havoc with our designers and as such we have been liaising with them. Our designers run OSX 10.6 with a mixture of CS3/CS4/CS5.

The bad news is we don't seem to be able to find a sure fire way of preventing any linking problems! Can you guys help?

At present for our lead designer, the links in a .INDD file look like;

/Volume/DOMAIN;SVR01/Share/Folder/To/Images/image1.jpg

I don't know why the links look like this... but, ultimately, what will change is the server name, so from SVR01 to SVR02 (for example)

Can I modify the links of all our INDD files easily to reflect this?

Our designers don't package their documents.

• 1. Re: Server rename & links (CS5 & 10.6)
          Marijan Tompa [tomaxxi] Level 4

Hey!

I think Kasyan Servetsky posted script here on forum. Try searching forum, or take look at his scripts collection: http://www.kasyan.ho.com.ua/my_scripts.html

--

tomaxxi

http://indisnip.wordpress.com/

• 2. Re: Server rename & links (CS5 & 10.6)
            jamesv1ncent Level 1

I've tried a few of the scripts, but they don't seem to play with CS5, unless I'm doing something wrong....

• 3. Re: Server rename & links (CS5 & 10.6)
              Kasyan Servetsky Level 5

I haven't posted some of my new scripts on my site yet, but here, on InDesign forum, I posted a script that might be of interest to you.

Warning! I haven't tested it with CS5 — only with CS3/4.

Kasyan

• 4. Re: Server rename & links (CS5 & 10.6)
                jamesv1ncent Level 1

Kasyan, that was one of the scripts I tested yesterday, but it didn't seem to work

• 5. Re: Server rename & links (CS5 & 10.6)
                  [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Try this: Create a folder "Version 6.0 Scripts" in your User Scripts folder, and put Kasyan's script in there. (This special folder name instructs ID to relax a little on the error messages.)

• 6. Re: Server rename & links (CS5 & 10.6)
                    Kasyan Servetsky Level 5

I just tested it on CS5 (7.0.1 Mac) and it works for me. I am not lucky in that our admin haven't changed our server names for years, so I don't have such a problem -- even when I open a file created on Windows on Mac, or vice versa, InDesign silently updates all the paths, it finds them even if a folder name changed.

So I made a little test:

1. Created an ID document on Windows (CS3)

Paths of links looks like so:

\\10.44.54.70\Test\images\foldername\subfoldername\imagefile.jpg

2. Deleted "images" folder -- otherwise ID finds them

3. Opened, converted and resaved the document in CS5 -- all links are missing now

4. Restored the deleted folder in Links panel paths look like so:

Macintosh HD:10.44.54.70:Test:images:foldername:subfoldername:imagefile.jpg

(ID tried to find missing links and screwed paths up)

5. I manually relinked a link to see a correct path -- it looks like this:

TEST:images:foldername:subfoldername:imagefile.jpg

6. Reverted the document.

7. Run the script with parameters on the sceengrab -- all links were restored.

Change paths.png

Note: Preferences > File handling > Preserve image dimensions when relinking should be checked on.

As far as I am concerned, I don't have this problem -- but often see on forums that other people encounter it -- that's why I wrote this script (and its numerous variations). But I have no idea how useful/less it is, and if it works for anybody except me.

Anyway, if you want me to continue developing it, I need more detailed input, sample files, screengrabs, etc -- just saying that it doesn't work is not enough for me to figure out the problem.

Regards,

Kasyan

P.S. To quickly get path of a link in CS4/5, right click in Links panel and choose "Copy Platform Style Path"