16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2010 11:29 AM by the_wine_snob

Rerendering in PE8

jon-anpe

Is there any way to avoid having to rerender files each time I open a PE8 project?

Yes, I save the file, but for some reason certain files have to be rerendered.

All files are AVHCD. And there doesn't seem to be any reason why some files need to be re-rendered and others not.

Also, why does it tell me I'm low on memory? I have 8Gigs RAM, 8 quad intel processor, 1.5TB.

-JL

• 1. Re: Rerendering in PE8
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Are you saying that you have an AVCHD Project, that you Render, but when you restart the program and Open that Project, the Rendered files are not available? This would be signified by a red line above certain Clips. Are the Render files always missing for the exact same Clips?

When you Open the Project, does PrE ask you "where is Render file _____.avi?"

Where are your Scratch Disks located, "Same As Project?"

Do you have more than one HDD on your computer? Is there an external HDD involved in any way?

What Project Preset did you choose for that AVCHD footage?

Good luck, and let us know a bit more,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Rerendering in PE8
            jon-anpe Level 1

Hunt,

-The render files are generally missing for the same clips.
            -I get no prompt for .avi or any other missing files.
            - Scratch Disks are whatever the default is.
            -I have only one HDD. I use an external USB drive for backup only but it is not powered on most of the time.
            -Don't know about selecting a Project Preset.
            Thanks.
            • 3. Re: Rerendering in PE8
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Let's work backward a bit.

Don't know about selecting a Project Preset.

This is the Preset that you choose, when you start - at New Project. It needs to match your source footage, the AVCHD in your case. Now, are you in NTSC-land (US, Japan, etc.), or PAL-land (Europe, UK and much of the rest of the world)? You would choose, say an NTSC AVCHD Preset, with the proper Audio (either 48KHz 16-bit stereo/2-channel, or 5.1 Surround Sound/6-channel) for the setting on your camera.

This is the foundation, and you will then Import your AVCHD material into that Project, and place the Clips onto the Timeline.

If one has a mis-match between their Project Preset and their source footage, there will be issues at some point.

Good luck, and let us know what you chose with New Project,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Rerendering in PE8
                jon-anpe Level 1

My preset was either HD 1080i 30fps stereo, or Full HD 1080i 30fps. How can I find this out?

The footage is Full HD 1080i 30.

If I had incorrectly set to HD instead of Full HD, how can I fix this.

I noticed that my Media Cache was set to Custom. I set it back to Same as Project. Same problem.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to which files the program chooses to rerender, thought they are the same every time.

-J

• 5. Re: Rerendering in PE8
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, once a Project Preset has been chosen, that is set. There are some involved ways to make changes, but they require some hacking of the XML code in the Project files (PREL), and are not for the feint of heart.

For the necessary Project Preset, see Neale's screen-cap, in this THREAD. This is what you want.

If you have done a lot of editing, you will want to look into a Clipboard extender, ClipMate, which will allow one to Copy all of a Timeline, and then Paste that into new, correct Project. One cannot do this without some form of Clipboard extender. ClipMate comes highly recommended for this purpose.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Rerendering in PE8
                    jon-anpe Level 1

If I get the clip extender and cut and paste into a New project with the correct settings, will this solve the problem?

Still, it wouldn't make sense why only certain non-descript video clips are having to be rerendered each time I open, while the

majority of the project is unaffected.

Also, on a related note, would this be the cause for the prompt "Warning system memory is low.."

This is an awfully buggy program I must say. Crashes for all kinds of reasons, even with my super gaming desktop.

I wonder if upgrading to the Pro version would solve some of these crash problems??

J

• 7. Re: Rerendering in PE8
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      If I get the clip extender and cut and paste into a New project with the correct settings, will this solve the problem?

It is possible that it would, but no guarantees. What it will do is eliminate many problems, that are probably lurking, ready to bite you.

Also, on a related note, would this be the cause for the prompt "Warning system memory is low.."

Probably not directly related, but a sign of trouble. First, take a look at this ARTICLE on setting up your computer for an editing session. Also, see this ARTICLE for tips on "system memory/resources."

I would say that it sounds like you might well have more problems, than you were aware.

One thought that I have, regarding the "disappearing" Render files is your HDD (Hard Disk Drive). How many do you have? What size are they? How much free space do you have on them? Have you defragmented the HDD's recently? How do you have the HDD's allocated, i.e. C:\ OS, programs and Page File, and D:\ media and Projects with Scratch Disks. You could be having I/O issues going on, especially if your HDD's are getting nearly full, or are badly fragmented.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Rerendering in PE8
                        jon-anpe Level 1

Will open a new project with the 'correct' New Project settings and see if the render problem persists. I'll post to this thread in the next day or two.

RE: HDD, I have only one 1.5TB drive with over 1TB free. It's a brand spankin new PC, not much stored on it. Windows 7. All Scratch Disks are set to C:\something\something\myprojects

I installed Clipboard Extender full trial version but couldn't get it to copy clips from PE8 to the clipboard, much less paste to a new project. Not much useful info in the support pages either.

J

• 9. Re: Rerendering in PE8
                          nealeh Level 5

Here's a few links about using ClipMate with PRE:

Adobe Premiere Elements 4

ClipMate Support Forum :: View topic - Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0

ClipMate Premiere Elements Copying Between Projects - Elements Village

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 10. Re: Rerendering in PE8
                            jon-anpe Level 1

Neale,

Thanks for the exact link. Yes, I got ClipMate to work. The trick was to highlight the clip again just before you paste it. Otherwise it won't work.

However,the problem with PE8 not remembering my rendered files still persists. I also tried starting a new project from scratch, rendering, and closing, but again, PE8 makes me rerender a lot of files.

There is nothing wrong with my new hardware system.

J

• 11. Re: Rerendering in PE8
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

A single HDD is not ideal for video-editing. Many recommend having two physical HDD's (not partitions), and I view a 3x set-up as minimal.

Still, with that much free space, you are not running up against what I thought might be happening.

Let's also take a look at your Project's Media Cache. If the Edit>Preferences>Scratch Disks is set to the default, it will be "Same as Project," and that is what you indicate. Under your Project's root folder, there will be several other folders, like AutoSave, and there should be a Media Cache (unless PrE 8 has changed the name - also check for a "Render Files," etc.). Do you have a bunch of AVI's in that folder? They will have some rather odd names, that will appear as abstract characters to you (they do to me too, but PrE usually keeps track of them). I just want to make sure that these are actually being written, when you do a Render.

Also, if you are getting adequately smooth playback (and you should with an AVCHD Project Preset with AVCHD material), you will not need to Render. It is a process that allows one the smoothest possible playback, and those files will not be used in any other ways. I complete many Projects, and never bother to Render, though I might have a bunch of red lines over many of my Clips and definitely will whenever I do something like a Transition, or overlay Title. OTOH, I have times where I am doing Keyframing, and might Render a tiny portion of my Timeline dozens of times, to see the best possible playback.

We've pretty much eliminated most of the reasons, that I can think of for the lost Render files. I only hope that Neale, Steve, John T. Smith, ATR, or another can think of some other possibilities. As I stated above, PrE normally does a good job of keeping up with the Render files.

Good luck, and I will keep thinking,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Rerendering in PE8
                                nealeh Level 5

saffronpictures wrote:

There is nothing wrong with my new hardware system.

New hardware usually means 'out of date' with respect to drivers and OS. This is because suppliers create a master disk image well in advance of the product hitting stores.

So work through some basics:

• Install all Windows updates
                                • Install latest version of QuickTime (v7.6.7 at time of writing)
                                • Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites
                                • Run Disk Cleanup
                                • Run Defragmenter
                                • Post back with the necessary information described here: Got a Problem? How to Get   Started

Of particular interest will be a screen capture, from one of the problem clips, after analysing with the GSpot Codec Information Appliance utility .

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale
                                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 13. Re: Rerendering in PE8
                                  jon-anpe Level 1

Hunt,

I checked the Media Cache folder and the rendered files are indeed there.

I can't fine tune edits with nonrendered files because the playback is too choppy.

Tried turning background rendering on again but same problem. When I open the project again, red lines.

J

• 14. Re: Rerendering in PE8
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

It sounds like something is both breaking the links to those Render files, and that for some reason, PrE is not even seeing them as broken links in the PREL file. The lack of the normal "where is Render file _____.avi?" is troublesome. I do not know what could be happening.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Rerendering in PE8
                                      jon-anpe Level 1

Hunt,

Alas, I think I figured it out.

PE8 requires you to re-render if you have certain effects applied to the clips. The effects that I had which were problemmatic include the Stabilizer effect and the Shadow/Highlight effect. I removed these and the rendered files were saved the next time I opened the project.

The remaining instances of redlined clips have to do with Title Stills, particilarly when layered over an image or imported mpeg file. Haven't figured out how to make these parts render-friendly but not a big deal since these play smoothly either way.

J

• 16. Re: Rerendering in PE8
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

That is an interesting observation. I do not recall hearing of certain Effects causing a need to Re-render before, but wonder if there IS something with those two Effects?

As for the Titles, initially, when one does an overlay, or just a Transition, they will need to Render for the ultimate playback smoothness. OTOH, I have not heard of others loosing those links, other than due to some of the suggestions at the beginning of the thread.

Now, I seldom do Render, so would not be a good candidate to observe. Still, it does not seem to be a situation, that others are reporting.

Good luck, and please keep us updated on what you find,

Hunt