20 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2010 7:03 PM by the_wine_snob

How do I open old projects in CS5?!

RickMech

I just purchased a new iMac for our office. The old version of Premier (Premier 6.5) we had wouldn't run with the new OS system (10.6.4), so we've upgraded to CS5 and now none of our older projects will open... this creates a huge problem since we do a lot of 30 second tv spots for local car dealers and they tend to change only a few minor things every month. Might be the color of a car or the current incentive. So I just build off last month's commercial instead of redesigning the wheel every time... is there a way to open or import my older projects or am I pretty much screwed and have to recreate them?

thanks,

Rick

• 1. Re: How do I open old projects in CS5?!
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Premiere (not Pro) projects can only be opened on Windows versions of Premiere Pro. Check the help docs (Importing earlier Premiere Pro projects) for more information on this.

You'd have to find someone with a Windows version of CS5 (or actually, you can go back a few versions) to open the project files and save them as Premiere Pro project files. These would then open on the Mac.

• 2. Re: How do I open old projects in CS5?!
            Harm Millaard Level 7

First try to import them into CS2, save them and then import into CS5. That may work, but what do you expect with 10 year old material? There may well be a millennium bug somewhere.

• 3. Re: How do I open old projects in CS5?!
              RickMech Level 1

My earlier version of Premier 6.5 was on Mac as well... so I'm still not clear on WHY I can't open a file that was created on a mac?!?! So I should be able to downgrade my CS5 to open the older files?

• 4. Re: How do I open old projects in CS5?!
                Colin Brougham Level 6

You can't because Premiere isn't programmed to do this. Period. I don't know the specifics, but I would surmise that it has something to do with the great gulf between Mac versions of Premiere (i.e. Premiere 6.5 to Premiere Pro CS4). They are completely and totally different programs, and I'm guessing that Adobe figured it wasn't worth the time to develop this capability for the Mac, since it had been away for so long.

Download the trial of the Windows version of Premiere Pro CS5, install it on a PC, open your 6.5 projects and save them as CS5 versions, move them to the Mac. I can't help it if you don't like the solution, but it is what it is.

• 5. Re: How do I open old projects in CS5?!
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I cannot address CS5, but I can Open most Pr 6.5 Mac Projects in PrPro 2.0 on the PC. Other than a few 3rd party Effects, or Transitions (or some that were later missing from PrPRo), I have never had an issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How do I open old projects in CS5?!
                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

CS5 is not designed to open projects made in any version before CS3.  I doubt even Premiere Pro 2.0 projects will open or import in CS5.

-Jeff

EDIT: Your best bet would be to find a trial version of CS3, import your 6.5 project into CS3 and save it as a CS3 project, then import the CS3 project into CS5.  There is at least one thread around here with links to old Premiere Pro trial versions.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: How do I open old projects in CS5?!
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

Thanks for that tid-bit.

This is similar to the problem that exists with early PC Project, going to the Mac. As there were no Mac versions of PrPro, prior to CS3, all Projects in earlier versions of PrPro will be on the PC. To get them onto the Mac, one had to find a PC version of PrPro CS3, convert that earlier version to a CS3 Project, and that would then Open (or Import) into the Mac version. That worked up through CS4. It did mean that the Mac-user needed to befriend a PC-user with CS3 to help out.

Hunt

• 8. Re: How do I open old projects in CS5?!
                        RickMech Level 1

Thanks Jeff... that's really helpful!! Much appreciated!

• 9. Re: How do I open old projects in CS5?!

You're welcome.   I hope it works out for you: easy with no snags along the way.

-Jeff

• 10. Re: How do I open old projects in CS5?!
                            Colin Brougham Level 6

CS5 is not designed to open projects made in any version before CS3.  I doubt even Premiere Pro 2.0 projects will open or import in CS5.

Sorry, Jeff--gotta call you out on this one:

From the help docs linked above (emphasis is mine):

You can add the contents of a project made with Premiere Pro CS3 on either Mac OS or Windows. In addition, on Windows, you can import a project made with earlier versions of Premiere Pro, or Premiere 6.0 or 6.5. The imported project’s clips and sequences are added to the Project panel in a bin named after the imported project. The bin hierarchy of the imported project is maintained within its new bin. Discontinued transitions and effects are not maintained. Use caution when importing a project into another project with a different time base or audio sample rate, because these differences may affect edit positioning and audio quality.

Importing a project into another project is the only way to transfer its complete sequence and clip information.

Also, you can open projects made with Premiere Pro for Windows, including any contents that may have been imported from earlier versions, in Premiere Pro for Mac OS.

True, the project files won't "open," per se, but at least on Windows, you can go back quite a way. I've personally imported Premiere 6.0/6.5 PC projects into CS5 without an issue.

As the last line of the quote above mentions, you can get old Premiere projects (Mac or PC I'm guessing, since it doesn't specify) into the Mac version of CS5 by routing through the Windows version. Two step, perhaps, but it's better than nothing.

• 11. Re: How do I open old projects in CS5?!

Sorry, Jeff--gotta call you out on this one:

Thanks for the correction.  I know I got my previous info from a reliable source, but it may have been during a discussion that was focused on Macs and not Windows.  Now let's see; what can I blame my lack of recall on?  Sunspots?  2 beers by 5 PM?  Figuring out new and diabolical punishments for Hunt?  I'm sure it was one or more of those things.

-Jeff

• 12. Re: How do I open old projects in CS5?!
                                Colin Brougham Level 6
                                2 beers by 5 PM?

If it was this one, no harm, no foul. I like the way you work.

• 13. Re: How do I open old projects in CS5?!
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

Interesting. In very general terms, that is what I have encountered, and observed from reading of others issues. Other than that odd time, when PrPro was ONLY for the PC, and for those versions' Projects, most elements of the older Projects had worked. Glad that mention was made of "discontinued Transitions/Effects," as those did figure into my experiences, along with 3rd party Effects/Transitions. Where I could not comment was on CS5 specifically. My personal experiences were limited. Even in my reading, I could not find any CS5 issue, as they were all for CS4, or earlier.

Thanks for the info,

Hunt

• 14. Re: How do I open old projects in CS5?!
                                    RDA972 Level 3

Just out of curiosity, Jeff, what on earth did Hunt do to deserve new and diabolical punishments?

He has already been sentenced to be hanged, drawn and quartered for violating the EULA.

What more could the poor fellow be subjected to?

• 15. Re: How do I open old projects in CS5?!

I figured he'd get a pardon for the hanging, drawing and quartering. Not even Microsoft actually goes through with that kind of stuff!  With that out of the way, I wanted to think up new ways to punish him in the Lounge since the plastic plant has given way to a new <shudder> kitchen.

Of course, he could always bribe me by preparing medium-rare Filets and New York Strips in that new kitchen.  (Hint: I'm partial to meat marinated in Jalapeño Soy Sauce for at least 24 hours.) (I am also open to trying new and exotic seasonings on my steak.)

-Jeff

• 16. Re: How do I open old projects in CS5?!
                                        RDA972 Level 3

I understand. The ball is now in Hunt's court and I'm sure he will be only too glad to accomodate you.

• 17. Re: How do I open old projects in CS5?!
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, at least with the "quartering," I can visit Belgium, Holland, Switzerland and Germany - at the same time!

Hunt

• 18. Re: How do I open old projects in CS5?!
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

I hold no grudges. After all, you let me out of the corner three days early last time.

Hunt

• 19. Re: How do I open old projects in CS5?!
                                              RDA972 Level 3

Surely, you mean parts of you can visit...

• 20. Re: How do I open old projects in CS5?!
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, who said that 100% of me needs to visit? Besides, won't I get 4x the frequent flier miles?

Hunt