6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2010 9:34 AM by sweet greggo

Importing movie file - transitions don't work?

sweet greggo

Hi all, this is my first post. I searched a bit here and EVERYWHERE on the internet, but couldn't find a solution to my question.

I'm trying to import a .mov file I created in powerpoint. In the file there are smooth transitions, where one images fades into another. When I import the file, I can view the movie in the preview window (double click the filename in the Project tab). It plays fine, all transitions are intact. However when I drag it into my composition the transitions are gone and there is no fading. It's like there is an alpha channel that's not getting interpreted correctly. I've tried every setting in the Interpret Footage window for the Alpha channel.

I've done this in several other projects. It's always a pain to get past this part. For some reason I can never repeat the same steps to get it to work.

If anyone knows what REALLY going on and what I can do to import the footage properly, I would appreciate the help.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Importing movie file - transitions don't work?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Turn off OpenGL? Sounds like a classig transparency blending problem due to the graphics system noit being up to snuff. It would also help to know how exactly you exported/ captured the PPT file. I've never done this on Mac, so maybe there is some secret switch involved somewhere...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Importing movie file - transitions don't work?
            sweet greggo Level 1

After checking my settings it seems I already had OpenGL off. I turned it on but no difference.

There isn't a codec option when exporting out of Powerpoint. When I open the .mov file in Quicktime it shows 3 video layers. Apparently it needs all three to render correctly.

My Mac Pro is less than 2 years old, and it's pretty stout. I have an ATI card that was purchased specifcally for Motion so I don't think that's a problem either.

Like I said, I've done this many times and always eventually get it to work, but it doesn't seem to be an exact science involved. It seems like I just keep doing the same thing until it works. Very frustrating.

• 3. Re: Importing movie file - transitions don't work?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Mmh, nice that it retains the layers, but I would argue that this is exactly the problem. Since AE does not read timecode in files, it may simply not know when to fade in the other layers. I think you will have to fix this by exporting it from QT Pro and flattening the layers/ streams to just one...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Importing movie file - transitions don't work?
                sweet greggo Level 1

When I export the file from QT Player it flattens the video layer to 1, and in doing so loses the transitions. Perhaps instead of flattening it is just stripping away 2 of the layers?

I don't have QT Pro but I'm willing to get it if it solves the problem. Is there an actual option to "flatten" the movie?

It's still puzzling that I can play the movie fine in AE's preview window :/

• 5. Re: Importing movie file - transitions don't work?
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                  > It's still puzzling that I can play the movie fine in AE's preview window :/

What version of After Effects are you using?

When you say "preview window", what panel are you actually referring to?

If you're referring to the player window that opens when you double-click a QuickTime footage item in the Project panel, then you need to know that in After Effects CS4 and earlier, this is just a QuickTime Player window.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Importing movie file - transitions don't work?
                    sweet greggo Level 1

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

> It's still puzzling that I can play the movie fine in AE's preview window :/

What version of After Effects are you using?

When you say "preview window", what panel are you actually referring to?

If you're referring to the player window that opens when you double-click a QuickTime footage item in the Project panel, then you need to know that in After Effects CS4 and earlier, this is just a QuickTime Player window.

Ah, that makes sense then.

I'm using CS4.