7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2010 1:30 PM by Dave LaRonde

Continual AE Error (4)

ShawnieEvans

Hello,

I'm currently working with CS3 and FCP on a Mac OS X Version 10.6 with a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, with an External Hard Drive of 1Tb. This is rather my first question concerning AE, so if you need more information, please ask!

I'm trying to Color Correct on AE of some footage I worked on in FCP. I exported out of FCP as a QuickTime and imported it into AE. The issue I'm having is whenever I try to play it on "Full", the following error comes up:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

After Effects error: Error (4) reading frame from

file "/File/File/File/Ftg".

( 86 :: 2 )

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I can play the footage on Half or any other resolution.

If you could help, God bless you!

- Shawn

• 1. Re: Continual AE Error (4)
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

What codec did you use for exporting out of FCP, and are you certain it was self-contained?

• 2. Re: Continual AE Error (4)
            ShawnieEvans Level 1

Er, I'm not necessarily sure I understand. I went to File/export/Export as Quicktime. I just spoke with my supervisor, and she said it could be that I need to export "Using Quicktime Conversion."

Is this it?

- Shawn

• 3. Re: Continual AE Error (4)
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'm afraid your problems start long before you even fire up AE. If you do not understand how FCP handles footage and what a CoDec is, well, then that qualifies as a huge lack in the basics even. (no offense) You really need to read the relevant chapters in the FCP manual first before anything else (or have a longer instruction session with someone who knows the app). Don't get this the wrong way, but in order for us to help you, we need to establish a common language and terminology and that is not the case here. As for the specific error, you can always check this, but it will not help much. We would still need more detailed info on what exactly you do and especially where you are storing the files. From your description, this sounds very much like a resource problem due to user restrictions, but there could be any number of otehr causes...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Continual AE Error (4)
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

I agree with Mylenium: you definitely need to know more about the software you're using.

However, there is an issue with AE and Nvidia cards on systems running OS 10.6.4.  Todd Kopriva had this to say about it:

"Mac OS 10.6.4 introduced problems with NVIDIA drivers. We recommend staying with version 10.6.3 until this issue is resolved. This problem affects many applications, not just After Effects.

For example:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Valve-Signals-Mac-OS-X-10-6-4-Performance-Issues-for-Nvidia -Users-145395.shtml "

They don't make this video stuff cut and dried.  In fact, there's more to know now than ever.

• 5. Re: Continual AE Error (4)
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> However, there is an issue with AE and Nvidia cards on systems running OS 10.6.4.  Todd Kopriva had this to say about it:

"Mac OS 10.6.4 introduced problems with NVIDIA drivers. We recommend staying with version 10.6.3 until this issue is resolved. This problem affects many applications, not just After Effects.

It looks like that may have been resolved by the new Mac OS update. See this page.

• 6. Re: Continual AE Error (4)
                    ShawnieEvans Level 1

Well, er...

I'll try to read a little more about FCP. Thanks for the help! Your awesome!

• 7. Re: Continual AE Error (4)
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

I'll try to read a little more about FCP.

You might also try leaning on that supervisor of yours -- see if you can get some training material on DVD.  While I haven't actually done it, I bet a google using the term, "Final Cut Pro Training" will yield good results.