4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2010 5:42 PM by wb_martin

difference in these MOBO's?

Jay Knobbe Level 1

To simplify my life I've decided to narrow my mobo choices down to ASUS but I'll be darned if I can see any difference in these two boards except the price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131614&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm _mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-Motherboards-_-13131614-_-NA

and this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131641&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_ mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Motherboards+-+Intel-_-ASUS-_-13131641#spec

What should I be looking for and what don't I need? Or should I look at something else?

So far I've purchased a CM 932 HAF X case, EVGA GTX 470 card, 1000w CM PSU, WD Caviar Blk WD2001FASS 2tb 64mb cache

and a 300g Velicoraptor OS drive.

Can't afford a raid card set up. Will stick with 12g of ram for now due to available funds.

I'll probably do some mild OC'ing and may go to 24g of ram when I can afford it.

Am leaning towards 4 of the WD 1002 FAEX drives w/64mb cache.

Your help is appreciated

• 1. Re: difference in these MOBO's?
          wb_martin Level 1

Go here, to ASUS's website, and do a more thorough comparison:

http://usa.asus.com/ProductGroup2.aspx?PG_ID=mKyCKlQ4oSEtSu5m

I am considering a very similar build, but am leaning more towards the ASUS Rampage III so at such time as the 256 GB SATA III SSD comes down in price I can dive into that, primarily for the OS drive.  I am still trying to rationalize buying the SSD now - and that's hard to do, even with prices dropping, but the thought of having to reinstall Win7 following the SSD upgrade is pushing me to consider now rather than later.

On the 12 GB memory, I would suggest 4x3 rather than 6x2.  A little pricier up front, but you will have the option to add rather than discard and replace.

Any throughts on optical drives for that system?

• 2. Re: difference in these MOBO's?
            Jay Knobbe Level 1

I went to the ASUS site to do a comparison but these 2 boards don't show

up when using their comparison chart. All the others show up and populate

their fields.

I think part of my problem is understanding what some of the specs mean and how they impact my build & future usage vs. marketing hype.

If I can swing it I'll use 3x4 sticks once I land on a MOBO.

Haven't spent too much time looking at optical drives yet and am open to suggestions.

• 3. Re: difference in these MOBO's?
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Looks like the only real difference is the Dual Lan versus single Lan. I am not seeing anything else different between the specs.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: difference in these MOBO's?
                wb_martin Level 1

I had the same problem with their comparison tool.  Print out the specifications for each of the boards and manually compare.  At a quick glance, this is what  I saw:

Storage - The Rampage III has a JMicron JMB363 PATA and SATA Controller - details listed

USB - Number and placement of the ports; "True USB3.0 suport" (I wonder what that is)

Backpanel I/O Ports - various

Overclocking -  functions/descriptions

and others

Like you, I will have to deconvolute/sift through the differences to see which one offers the best immediate/future needs.  I plan to check Tom's Hardware and other trustworthy sites for possible ASUS MOBO descriptions and reviews - if I dfind anything I'll post.  Drudgery - pure drudgery!

1 person found this helpful