13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2010 1:55 PM by Nohjekim

AVI files crash Premiere?

Nohjekim Level 1

Hi

I keep having this problem, with both PE 3 and PE 8.

If I create an AVI file in Smith Micro, Poser with sound on it, it crashes either version of Elements that I have.

It will open files that don't have sound but I need to bring them in together because it is lip synced.

I have to load the files into Windows Movie Maker and then export them as something other then AVI, then they will load in PE 8 with no problems.

The problem with doing this is that the files have to be exported from Windows Movie Maker at a lower resolution then I would like. since as far as I can see the export options in Movie Maker are somewhat limited.

I have tried just converting the files in Any AVI Converter but when I do that it screws up the lip sync.  That's another issue that I will address on their forum.

I can only export video from Poser as flash or AVI so I don't have any other options there.

Any suggestions welcome.  Perhaps even another way to convert the files to something that PE likes. LOL

Mike

• 1. Re: AVI files crash Premiere?
          nealeh Level 5

AVI is a container for video - and that container may contain footage using just about any codec. So the first thing is for you to analyse your problem clip with the GSpot Codec Information Utility and post a screen image.

If you are using the 'Live' version of Windows Movie Maker then output formats are highly restricted. I recommend you download and install the far superior WMM 2.6 (Download details: Windows Movie Maker 2.6). Despite the information on the download page this version works with XP, Vista and W7 (32-bit and 64-bit versions).

If you haven't already done so, work through these basics and report back with the information requested:

• Install all Windows updates
          • Install latest version of QuickTime (v7.6.7 at time of writing)
          • Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites
          • Run Disk Cleanup
          • Run Defragmenter
          • Post back here with the necessary information described here: Got a Problem? How to Get   Started

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: AVI files crash Premiere?
            nealeh Level 5

Nohjekim wrote:

Perhaps even another way to convert the files to something that PE likes.

Take a look at: What tools can I use to convert my video to DV-AVI?

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: AVI files crash Premiere?
              Nohjekim Level 1

Hi

Well, I did find sort of an answer.

If I use "Any Video Converter" to create a WMF file it will load into PE8 with the sound working at full resolution.

When it does this the sound is out of sync with the lip-sync animation, in the file that AVC makes.

I can then separate the video and the audio tracks in PE8 and move the audio track so that it is back in sync.

I guess for now this will get the job done.

It would be nice if it just worked though.

Mike

• 4. Re: AVI files crash Premiere?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, "AVI" is but a "wrapper." It is what is inside that wrapper, that is all important. This ARTICLE will give you some background, and also mentions Neale's solid recommendation for using G-Spot to "peek" inside that wrapper.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: AVI files crash Premiere?
                  Nohjekim Level 1

Hi  Here is the GSpot screen of one of the AVI files I'm having problems with. The files I save are all done in Microsoft Video 1 format.

As you can see below it says that the codec is not installed. When I looked on Microsoft it says to reinstall Windows Media Player. I'm not sure that is the solution but I'll give it a try.  Everything else I have will open the files.  Also I want to make clear that these files will open in Premiere Elements as long as they don't have the sound included.

It's adding the sounds that makes it crash PE8.  So far I haven't found a install package for the codecs alone.

http://a.imageshack.us/img828/9116/capturejy.png

I worked my way through Any Video Converter, which will allow you to change the audio and video setting for each file type.

I didn't find any that worked in PE8.  The only reliable way I have found to transfer the files to PE is to open it in Windows Movie Maker and save it as a WMV file, selecting "Best Fit to File Size" and set the file size to the maximum which is 8 mb.

Since it saves it as an 8 megabyte file, and it starts out as 900 mb, so you can see it's taking a hit as far as quality goes!

Right now I'm updating the Windows 7 software for my audio card.  It was the only update I could find and was listed as optional.

Mike

• 6. Re: AVI files crash Premiere?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I am not familiar with the CRAM CODEC, but G-Spot could not find it on your system.

I would look into either creating, or converting the material to DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio. Those will Import effortlessly and should edit perfectly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: AVI files crash Premiere?
                      Nohjekim Level 1

Hi

I'll check it out.

Mike

• 8. Re: AVI files crash Premiere?
                        Nohjekim Level 1

Hi again.

Well, I give up!

The only thing that works reliably is to use Windows Movie Maker to convert to WMV files.

Every thing else I have tried fails in one way or another.

Some files crash PE8.

Some files make it in but the sync is lost. It stretches the sound to fit the length of the video no matter where is starts and ends.

Some files make it in but the sound is garbled. Only at the start of the sound, after a few seconds it clears up.

Some files make it in but there is no sound audible.  I can see the sound track but it doesn't play.

I can convert to DVI-AVI in Windows Movie Maker and it makes a higher quality video but the sound is garbled at the start every time.

I have tried 6 different converters and none of the others will create a DVI-AVI type 2 file.

I have tried changing the audio sampling to many different settings.

I'm just going to have to live with the results from Windows Movie Maker.

For the most part that's not that big a problem since I can't really use a 900 megabyte video for anything except transfer to DVD.

The stuff I use on my computer and e-mail is OK at the 720 by 480 resolution but it is kind of a pain to have to do my movies in such a small size.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

• 9. Re: AVI files crash Premiere?
                          Nohjekim Level 1

Hi  I'm not sure that this is going to work but here is a very small version of one of the completed videos.

http://img441.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lucytalksaboutgrandfath.mp4

Mike

• 10. Re: AVI files crash Premiere?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

What happens if you rip the Audio from your muxed file, with a program, like the free Audacity? Then, Save_As a PCM/WAV 48KHz (you have 22KHz mono now) 16-bit, and then Import that WAV file into PrE.

I am guessing that the Sample Rate is getting in the way. PrE will Conform the Audio to 32-bit, floating point for accurate editing. Normally, it can handle many common Sample Rates and Bit Depths, but not always.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: AVI files crash Premiere?
                              Nohjekim Level 1

I hate to separate the files since the thing is lip synced.

But I'll look at it.

I got the link to the video to work so you can see what I'm doing.

Mike

• 12. Re: AVI files crash Premiere?
                                Nohjekim Level 1

Hi Bill

Well I found a solution!!!

Your suggestion gave me the idea.

I don't know why I didn't think of this to start with.

I export the file from poser twice, once with sound and once without sound.

As I said the files without sound import into PE8 with no problem.

I take the first file, the one with sound and run it through Windows Movie Maker and convert it to a WMV file.

Now I open PE8 and import both files.

I place the file with the sound on the time line.

Next I separate the sound and the video.

Then I delete the video and replace it with the full resolution AVI video file without sound.

The two sync up perfect and I have my full rez video and my sound.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

PS your beard looks just like my beard. LOL

Same color too.  Only I'm older then you are!

• 13. Re: AVI files crash Premiere?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

Glad that you have found the ideal workflow. Sometimes one does need to think about a problem in a different way.

Have not used Poser in years, and mine is probably decades behind yours, so I do not know what the current possibilities might/might not be. For many operations, I deal exclusively in elemental streams, i.e. one Video-only and one Audio-only file. With those, I can do so very much, such as Import perfectly into Encore to author a DVD with never an error, crash or glitch. In my case, one of the reasons for this is that I do DD 5.1 SS, and that does not mux well, plus for a lot of what I do, I'd just have to de-mux it anyway.

If Poser allows you to Export just the Audio stream, that would save you one step and a couple of Alt-clicks, etc. OTOH, it might not allow that, as it is basically designed for the visuals, with Audio being secondary. Just the opposite of Adobe Audition, which is an Audio editor, that will also display Video, if necessary.

As for my age - you could well be younger... most people are...

Regarding the beard, even when I was about 18 and grew my first one, I had a gray patch on the chin. Over the decades, the red rather faded away, and that patch expanded to where it covered my entire face. I guess that the patch was a bit of a preview of things to come. Once, I looked more like a Viking, but now I look more like the troll under the bridge - the one that scares the kids!

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt