5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2010 1:46 AM by whitestar7

INM Impressario - prompt user to choose where to save

whitestar7 Level 1

Hi all,

I have created a PDF from a template on the fly, and I want to prompt the user to choose a folder where they can save the PDF which has been created from template.

With jpegs I have used BUDDY API, but I have not had much luck using BUDDY API with INM Impressario, can you suggest a way I can do this, and also if there are any known issues with Buddy API and Impressario.

Thanks

I am using"

D11.5 (PC, XP)

Impressario v4

Buddy API 4.07

• 1. Re: INM Impressario - prompt user to choose where to save
          Mike Blaustein Level 4

You don't need BuddyAPI for this.  Impressario comes with a "save with dialog" behaviour.  You can use that.  Or, if you insist on doing it with BuddyAPI, you can use the same baGetFileName() command that I expect you used with your jpgs, and once you have the filename, send it to Impressario's save() or SaveFromTemplate() command.

• 2. Re: INM Impressario - prompt user to choose where to save
            whitestar7 Level 1

Hi Mike,

thanks for the reply.

The PDF is created completely through lingo on the fly, so there is never a pdf on the stage for the user to see.

They simply save a PDF of the page they are on.

I had looked through the impressario manual and found the "save with dialogue" option, but couldnt see that option listed as lingo

• 3. Re: INM Impressario - prompt user to choose where to save
              Mike Blaustein Level 4

I guess I don't see the problem.  What isn't working?  The PDF doesn't need to be on the stage to be saved, you apply the save() command to the member, not the sprite.  There doesn't even need to be a sprite.  I assume you are creating it at some point.  Once you do, then you save it.

And the save with dialog is a behaviour that comes with Impressario, not a lingo command.

• 4. Re: INM Impressario - prompt user to choose where to save
                whitestar7 Level 1

Hi Mike,

I looked at the manual again and it says the following:

"Save with dialog
                Parameters: Event: mouseUp or mouseDown
                Impressario sprite is in channel: channel that contains the Impressario sprite

Description:
                Opens a Save dialog box, to allow the user to save the current PDF document displayed in the sprite channel specified. The PathType is automatically set to Absolute.

Usage:
                Drag this behavior onto a button or background object in a frame that contains an Impressario sprite"

"

The way my movie works is that, you can navigate through lots of different products which contain, images, synospsis and lots of other data which are changed dynamically as the user selects a different product.

Then if the user wants to have a hard copy of all the data on the product page they are on, they click the 'download pdf' button, at that point Impressario creates the PDF from a template using the assets already loaded into the product page.

At the moment I am able to specify where to save it using the 'savefromTemplate' function of impressario.

When I try and use Buddy API I dont get any error message, but I dont get any PDF either

• 5. Re: INM Impressario - prompt user to choose where to save
                  whitestar7 Level 1

Hi Mike,

thanks for all your help, manged to get this working fine now :-)