9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2016 6:53 AM by g2mXagent

verticle grey lines on clip when loading project

Scott Jolley

Hello,

I have a project shot on an Sony EX3. When I load up the project some of my timelines have grey slash stripes across the clip and will not play. The footage is on an internal drive. The problem only affects some of the timelines in the project.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks,

Scott

• 1. Re: verticle grey lines on clip when loading project
          Scott Jolley Level 1

Also,

when i load the clip from the timeline into the preview window, it plays fine.

• 2. Re: verticle grey lines on clip when loading project
            Scott Jolley Level 1

So I closed Premier and reopend it and everything is ok. What happended? Scary and confusing.

• 3. Re: verticle grey lines on clip when loading project
              Colin Brougham Level 6

The gray hash marks mean your footage was offline. This seems to happen ocassionally with file-based assets like those from the EX3 (it happens every now and then with my P2 MXFs). I think something gets tweaked during the media indexing process, and as you found, a simple restart of the program usually brings them back online. I blame the gremlins.

• 4. Re: verticle grey lines on clip when loading project
                EX3Chappie

Hi Scott,

I am having the exact same problem...I have EX3 EXCAM files and if i have longish files (eg 50 mins or so which obviously contain multiple EX internal clips and references to link them together) parts of my files get the diagonal gray lines across them as if they have disappeared from the drive (I also have an internal drive). Restarting only helped me the first time it happened. After it happened a 2nd time then the problem cannot be solved by restarting...it is as if PP CS5 is somehow comrrupting the metadata or at least not reading it.

I am tearing my hair out over this...I have tried trashing preferences and cleaning the cache and nothing works.

Did you fiind any other solutions to this ?

Pete

• 5. Re: verticle grey lines on clip when loading project
                  Scott Jolley Level 1

Hello Pete,

I feel your pain. If I remember correctly, I moved the footage to an internal drive (from an external) and then relinked the footage. If you have cineform neoscene, you may try and convert the footage, although I have never done that with EX3 footage. It has a free trial download that is good for 7 days that may get you through this crisis.

Good luck,

Scott

• 6. Re: verticle grey lines on clip when loading project
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

Just a question: when these Assets show as Offline, does the Conforming/Indexing progress bar show up? Is the program in the process of re-Indexing?

The reason that I am asking, is because I thought the gray slashes were "Media Pending," and the full Media Offline was represented by the red, multi-language display. Maybe my memory is just failing me here?

Thanks,

Hunt

• 7. Re: verticle grey lines on clip when loading project
                      EX3Chappie Level 1

Hi all,

Just thought i'd post a solution to my problem.

All i had to do was start a completely fresh project, import the same problematic EX3 assets into that new project (via Import command) and then drag that clip into the timeline and BIngo !....all EX clip links were restored ...and here's the weird part, they were restored not just in the new project but in ALL other projects that used those EX3 assets. ie. by doing this, my original project was also repaired. Don't ask me why...I'm just happy.

(Bill, I am not sure about Colin, but for me the diagonal grey slashes were sometimes combined with the "conforming" progress bar and occasionally combined with the yellow "media pending" screen. I never got the red "media offline" screen...but in terms of broken EX links, effectively those missing clips were offlin until the links were repaired).

Anyway, I hope my solution works for others out there.

Pete

• 8. Re: verticle grey lines on clip when loading project
                        canevessa

Bill,

I believe you are correct here. If the source clip is offline it appears red. The grey hash marks indicates the clip is pointing to in and out points that are unavailable in the source file. This can be for two reasons I can think of. One is if the clip was shortened in an external editor, like Audition. Sometimes you will see only half the clip with the hash marks in this case.

The other reason is a particularly problematic issue for me currently. I have an XML import from FCP and roughly half of the clips have the grey hash marks because the project file is either misinterpreting the framerate of the footage (most likely, I think) or the translation from XML is inaccurate. All the source files play fine in the source monitor as was mentioned in the previous post so i don't suspect a codec problem,  but if you look for the in and out points of the selected clip they are often long after the video has ended.

The other odd thing, not sure if related, is that the audio gain in the clip efffects , which drives the yellow line, is set to -infinnity in each.

If anyone has any experience with this problem please share. I can manually slip all these clips to revael the proper portion of the clip but that will be a tedious process obviously. I would love a global answer to this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

• 9. Re: verticle grey lines on clip when loading project
                          g2mXagent

same problem in CC 2015 (v9.0).

I did some research.

when relink media, Premiere write wrong numbers of frame.

premiere pro relink issue.png

manually, but its a huge impossible mission.