6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2010 1:29 PM by canadiankevin

nesting and text 'tremble'

canadiankevin

Hi,

I am trying to work on a project and am using the trial version of cs5. I have some general questions that | need some help with.

Basiucally what I am trying to do is create a video with segments moving faster than 'real time'. What I have done so far is spliced together my clips, added text, and images.

(1) I have many segments that blur out a part of the clips, therefore | have items in the video 1 to 4 lines. What I have noticed is that I can't make the speed of the clips with items in video 1 to 4 move faster than 100%. I was thinking of nesting the sequence and then trying to get it to move faster. What I wanted to ask is if I should render teh clips before I nest - or if it doesn't matter when I render (just before completing the project).

(2) I have created some text images using powerpoint. Basically they are slides created in powerpoint, and saved in *.png format. I have imported those files to cs5 and included them as images. I chose to do it this way as it's much faster to include text relative to using the titler. What I have noticed is that when the clip is playing and it gets to the slide it almost looks like parts of the text is trembling. I did have to scale the images to frame size. I was wondering if there was a way to fix the tremble. Is it likely from the scaling or because it's saved as png?

Thanks for your help.

K

• 1. Re: nesting and text 'tremble'
          steveprc Level 1

Did you right-click on the clip and attempt to change the "speed/duration" setting? If I'm understanding you correctly, this is where you would increase or decrease the speed/duration of a clip. You can do this either in the preview window or in the timeline.

I'm not sure about the text, but perhaps it's just a playback issue. Some file types are interpreted a little more smoothly than others, and that may be the problem. This is often compounded by stacking multiple hi-res items in the timeline.

• 2. Re: nesting and text 'tremble'
            canadiankevin Level 1

Hi Steve,

If you look at image 1 you can get a better idea about what \i am talking about (below). I have tried clicking on each entry in the video 1 thru 4 rows and seems to only be allowed to speed up what is in video 1& 2 rows (which are videos themselves). What is in video 3 or 4 is a title slide. What seemed to work was to nest each segment of clips and then, once they are all together, I can speed up the nested segment. What I was unsure about was if I should render before nesting or if it doesn't matter.

re: images

I need to have high res. images in my project. Do you know of a file extension that could offer me the high res. and be more fluid with cs5?

image 1.png

• 3. Re: nesting and text 'tremble'
              steveprc Level 1

Are your title slides still, roll or crawl? In the case of a still, you don't need to adjust the speed of the title slides, so that's the reason they're not adjustable. you would simply drag it to the desired duration in the timeline. It doesn't really matter when you encode the video and whether the files are nested or not. The nesting process makes stacked elements within the timeline more manageable, but I don't believe that it has an impact on the encoding process (I assume that's what you mean when you say "render")

As for the image type - I use 300 dpi JPG files with no issue. I import them at a much larger resolution than the screen so I can crop and focus on certain sections of the image and not lose resolution. There will come a point when the file size is too big for Premiere, but I usually import image files that are about double the screen resolution at 300 dpi with no issues.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: nesting and text 'tremble'
                canadiankevin Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for that info about nesting and encoding. What I was saying about rendering and nesting was in regard to the red line and if I should make it green before rendering or not.

I'll have to mess around then with file types. Saving a slide in powerpoint doesn't offer an option to change resolution, and I am very wary at saving an image at a resolution higher than it was originally created as.

• 5. Re: nesting and text 'tremble'
                  steveprc Level 1

Ahhhh, OK. Now I understand. You're inquiring about rendering for preview. It depends largely on the system you're running, and the rendering is only needed to allow smooth playback within Premiere so you can view a smooth playback at full frame rate in systems that are running with limited resources. My system is aging a little bit, but it's a 3.2G quad core with 32G of memory and a 1.5G Quadro FX5600 video card. I get smooth playback most of the time, unless it's a very complex sequence with many elements. Regardless, I don't think encoding is affected by nesting or rendering. The encoded file will play back smoothly regardless, unless the machine playing back the encoded video has a very weak video card - in which case you can't help it without reducing the project size. Rendering simply gives you the ability to preview the file at full speed and resolution. If you need that to confirm that everything is happening properly, then it makes sense. If you can already view it at full speed without rendering, then I don't believe it's necessary. Regarding your original question - I don't think rendering will have any effect on nesting or vice versa.

Scaling the images shouldn't have any ill effect, as long as you're scaling it down. You shouldn't be concerned about how it plays back, because once the video is encoded, it should be smooth. If you want to see the Power Point files at full resolution and your system is having trouble playing it back, then by all means, render that section of the timeline and you'll be able to see how the final output will appear.

• 6. Re: nesting and text 'tremble'
                    canadiankevin Level 1

Hi,

Ok. I'll try it out and see where I can get with it. The scaling of the images is scaling upwards. I was thinking thaqt there might be a problem with the text flicker with that but, I looked into the bit of each slide and it seems like all of them are 960x720 with 32 bit depth. I don't think it possible to scale it larger unless I publish the slide to *.pdf, taking a screen capture, and then saving as a larger image.

I did want to preview the files before finishing up the project and wanted to see how those slides would turn out. I'll see what I can do with the images in the next few hours