7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2010 9:53 AM by - JM -

trouble...shoot me, windows 7/mac problem?

- JM - Level 3

OK, I had bunches of errors in my last discussion and it was a compound problem, the initial problem was caused by the buggy CS5 installer and using the CS5 installer cleaner and reinstalling fixed those issues. Many thanks to Omke and Paul.

So here's the interesting part. Once I cleared up the initial problems I was left with 2 symptoms, each of which disappear after a safe start or by using a new user.

symptom #1  -  attempting to create or just preview a pdf via the output module would cause the following error:

error_mount_at_startup.jpg

symptom #2 Dr.Brown's 1-2-3 script would not write/read the xml file, so it would revert to the default menu settings, folder names destinations etc.

Since the problem would disappear in safe mode or with a new user I cleared the login/startup items and poof! the problem was gone. After a process of reloading the login items I found that it was a folder login on a Windows 7 computer that when loaded at startup would cause the error to occur, even though I wasn't trying to access any files or write to this computer. I could mount and unmount and the error would appear. I then mounted a folder on an XP that is on the same network and there was no problem. The only difference in the error if I mounted the Windows7 folder after startup, the error would be the following:

error_after_mountPC.jpg

I am running Mac OS 10.6.4+ graphics fix, Quad-Intel, 18GB ram, bunches of drives.

I don't want to lead the answer into one direction, so if you have any thoughts it would be appreciated.

So there you go, trouble.... shoot me!

• 1. Re: trouble...shoot me, windows 7/mac problem?
          Omke Oudeman Level 5

I don't want to lead the answer into one direction, so if you have any

thoughts it would be appreciated. But the only thing that I can think of is

that somehow, remnants of Version Cue or the new Adobe Drive are causing

problems (neither of which I need at this point). I'm just trying to think of

things that would be searching the network or mounted drives.

Did not understand from first post (or misread it) that you where using a

network. Here is where the trouble usually starts. Adobe Bridge officially

does not support working over a network because Adobe state there are to

many variable set ups and systems to have a good solution for this method.

Some people think that this is a fair reason others state that by now Adobe

should be able to have solved the problems for this.

If it works your in business, if not the trouble starts.

As a stand alone user I have very less experience with network other then

having shared files and folders in my local workflow (laptop and second

computer), I only work on one computer with my apps and files and have lots

of HD but those are for extra storage and back up. Working on files on my

start up disk, having enough free space left, and a separate internal

scratch disk has always been the fastest workflow for me

• 2. Re: trouble...shoot me, windows 7/mac problem?
            - JM - Level 3

Hi Omke

You didn't misread the first email, I didn't mention the network in the first post because I don't use the network for any of the Adobe products, it's only purpose is to move files via the finder ( camera files from the XP studio computer, job files are sent back to the windows 7 computer), totally unrelated to using the Adobe Suite. The Adobe Suite only works on local files.

And my mention of Version Cue or Drive was whether Adobe has some network sniffing that is going on behind the scenes that I don't know about. I don't have either Cue (no longer ships) or Drive with the CS5 suite that I use, but I can imagine that there are hooks that remain in the products. I removed the mention of Cue and Drive because I did think it was misleading the question.

Here's an example of the problem:

If I choose a single image on the root/local drive of the Mac, go to Bridge>Output Module and simply preview a pdf, it works fine. Even though all of the computers are on the network, but no computer is mounted to the Mac desktop.

But, If I mount the Windows 7 folder on my desktop, and then choose the same image on the local drive and the same process, the error occurs. At no time am I accessing anything or moving anything to the other computer, all operations are local. The only difference is that the 2 computers are connected.

btw- this error is easily recreated and repeatable. Mount Win7 > error, unmount > no error.  Same local source file and destination in Bridge or Dr Brown's Scripts.

Omke Oudeman wrote:

As a stand alone user I have very less experience with network other then

having shared files and folders in my local workflow (laptop and second

computer), I only work on one computer with my apps and files and have lots

of HD but those are for extra storage and back up. Working on files on my

start up disk, having enough free space left, and a separate internal

scratch disk has always been the fastest workflow for me

this is pretty much the same setup, maybe a couple more drives because I keep the OS/Apps on one drive, Scratch, plus l keep working files on yet another drive and then bunches of drives for older client files and backups.

thanks again

• 3. Re: trouble...shoot me, windows 7/mac problem?
              - JM - Level 3

I should mention that now that I now what the problem is I can avoid the pitfall, I just don't know the why?

regards.

• 4. Re: trouble...shoot me, windows 7/mac problem?
                Omke Oudeman Level 5

I should mention that now that I now what the problem is I can avoid the

pitfall, I just don't know the why?

I'm afraid that is a me too...

Can't imagine a mounted disk would be causing effect just by preview a PDF

file. Only thing that comes to mind is that you are using a font in

Overlays, Header or Footer that is not accepted by Windows 7 but to be

honest, it also does not sound very logical to me either....

• 5. Re: trouble...shoot me, windows 7/mac problem?
                  - JM - Level 3

I know this problem is a bit crazy, but as these things go, the problems that Adobe has with people who do use network files and have problems ( not my situation) are as of yet undefined. Here's a situation that should be relatively benign, but it causes a hiccup. So to have a problem reduced to this point may be of interest to Adobe, but for me I just need to get my work done and fortunately I can now.

Omke Oudeman wrote:Only thing that comes to mind is that you are using a font in

Overlays, Header or Footer that is not accepted by Windows 7 but to be

honest, it also does not sound very logical to me either....

I thought about the likely suspects of fonts, so with the new reinstall I left all of the system fonts + Adobe fonts in place, cleared all font caches, everything else was turned off and I unchecked any of the footers/header info, so fonts should not have been needed in the pdf.

Fortunately the other errors that were in the previous posting were resolved with the installer cleaner so this left just this one error to isolate. I have to admit I've run every version of PS since version 2 ( not CS2... version 2) and I've never had to reinstall any of them until this CS5 installer.... my feeling is that since the we now have modules being developed around the globe there may be too many moving parts for Adobe to keep under control in a testing stage before they hit their release deadlines ( I figure since I've just lost a bunch of time fixing problems I deserved a mini-rant : )

best regards,

j

• 6. Re: trouble...shoot me, windows 7/mac problem?
                    Omke Oudeman Level 5

I have to admit I've run every version of PS since version 2 ( not CS2...

version 2)

and I've never had to reinstall any of them until this CS5 installer.... my

feeling is that since the we now have modules being developed around the globe

there may be too many moving parts for Adobe to keep under control in a

testing stage before they hit their release deadlines ( I figure since I've

just lost a bunch of time fixing problems I deserved a mini-rant : )

Your one version ahead of me, I started with PS3

About CS5, you do have to keep in mind that this version had to be

completely rewritten for 64 bit purpose. This was a very huge job and came

with all the downsides that you have with such a big project.

I don't defend them, they should do a good job and we customers should not

be bothered with this, but it is good to know this fact for the context...

Glad you are back in business again!

Regards

Omke

• 7. Re: trouble...shoot me, windows 7/mac problem?
                      - JM - Level 3

Hi Omke

>This was a very huge job and came with all the downsides that you have with such a big project.

I totally agree, and like all projects there are deadlines to be met and sacrifices too. My understanding is that the installation was finalized after the beta testing which allowed the permissions issues and required the quick update, but I may be wrong. The global programming paradigm must rely upon some amazing skills to coordinate, so it must be a daunting task and a process that is always in a state of change and adaptation.

My gripe at that PS forum was that there were plenty of crash reports being sent back to Adobe but unless you were glued to the forum it was difficult to define what was happening and how to avoid the problems instead of spending all your time fixing them. I'm hoping that there is better transparency and organization of client side communication ( not marketing materials) . There's far too much information that is buried within the Adobe KB that needs to be better indexed. A simple example the lack of an updated known issues link on top of every forum, or within the installer..... a pretty simple solution to avoiding problems and keeping your customers happy. Otherwise we rely upon the kind help of people like you and the occasional Adobe employee. It's an information based world and Adobe should be really good at it. The CS suite is a great tool and I am very thankful for it, I just want it to continue to be better and flawless.

>Glad you are back in business again!

many, many thanks.

j