- I can move some clips with transitions so I don't think it's the problem.
- Using NTFS for main drives. On main hdd there are three other partitions for Linux (so five at all). (Data partition is 530 GB with 7% free. Als Bill says in another thread it is not enough. Perhaps I should buy another hdd for the large video files only ... but no time for this now.)
- Using four EPS files, one animated, for titles. No large photos.
- Using some effects on 5-6 clips.
- Virtual memory is 2800 MB fixed.
- Yes, there are some bigger background processes in XP I need, but I had no problem with this project being larger last week (more cuts, about 50 min. of clips). Perhaps I should use a second "clean", video editing installation of windows (strictly following Bills suggestions)? I hoped this would not be necessary, because I then have to switch systems like with Linux before ...
Essentially you are running the whole of PRE on a single hard disk (partitions don't count - there is only one set of drive heads) with inadequate free space. I suggest you move your project files to one of the older SATA disks. Run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter on both drives. See if you can clear out other unwanted files to create as much free disk space as you can.
You are also using mixed clips (HDV and DV). You will get a better result if you downsize the HDV clip to DV and use a standard project preset.
If you haven't already done so, follow these basics:
- Install all Windows updates
- Install latest version of QuickTime (v7.6.7 at time of writing)
- Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites
- Run Disk Cleanup
- Run Defragmenter
- Post back here with the necessary information described here: Got a Problem? How to Get Started
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children
Read Harm on drive setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972?tstart=0
- click the embedded picture in Harm's message to enlarge to reading size
Read Hunt on Partitions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708?tstart=0
A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0
Thanks both! Great overview of things I should do, especially the drive setup recommendations. In general I know ... but not following this as I must admit reading this. So something inside me expected these kind of answer.
That will be a longer process I should do. Windows, sound and graphics are up to date, QuickTime is older, 7.6.6 ...
But I got no time for this now. The project must be finished until monday. Today I was working for hours and it was quite good! But I only moved clips twice.
Hopefully coming back with good news ...