4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2010 3:44 PM by steveprc

Slow motion and speedup during a single clip

ruzun Level 1

Is there a way to take a single clip, and slow down portions of the clip, while speeding up other portions of the clip.

Is there a way to adjust playback speed using keyframes I guess is my basic question, so the start of the clip is slow motion, then the middle is played back at an accelerated or normal rate, then the end of the clip becomes slow motion again.

-Roger

• 1. Re: Slow motion and speedup during a single clip
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Yep, with time remapping. It takes a little bit of playing with it to get your head around it, so instead of describing it here, I'll send you to the Help docs: Vary changes to speed or direction with Time Remapping. You can achieve the effect your after, and more.

• 2. Re: Slow motion and speedup during a single clip
            steveprc Level 1

Yes, is the short answer. Using the time remapping feature in the "effects" panel (top center of the screen, second tab from the left) you can set certain portions of the clip to play back at normal speed, then slow it down in certain sections, and then speed it back up. You can also cut the clip using the razor tool (in the tools panel at bottom right of the screen) and just reduce the speed of that section of the clip. The downside to using the time remapping (if my memory serves me - don't take my word for it) is that you lose audio, but the transitions from normal to slow-mo and back are much smoother. Using the razor tool, you simply place the timeline indicator where you would like to begin the slow motion segment, then cut the clip with the razor tool, the repeat the process where you want the slow-mo section to end. Then, select the section that you want to play back in slow motion, and reduce the speed. This is the method that was used before the time remapping feature was available. The transitions are not at smooth, but you can keep audio for the sections where the speed isn't modified. Just be sure to select the "ripple edit" check box when you modify the speed/duration setting of the clip (right click the video clip to get the speed/duration setting dialog box).

• 3. Re: Slow motion and speedup during a single clip
              Colin Brougham Level 6

The downside to using the time remapping (if my memory serves me - don't take my word for it) is that you lose audio...

I guess so, but it's a pretty easy matter to position your sequence CTI where you come back to 100% and then matchframe to the original clip, so you can edit the audio back into the sequence.

• 4. Re: Slow motion and speedup during a single clip
                steveprc Level 1

True that. I'm a *** smart feller, and I didn't think of that... ;o)